Topic: This may be the coolest galaxy I have ever seen  (Read 10289 times)

TalonClaw

Re: This may be the coolest galaxy I have ever seen
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2004, 06:58:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It's a real shame there are no plans to maintenance the Hubble.  It's apparently a doomed satellite.    

It would be an even greater shame to put seven people's lives at risk.  

The shuttles will not lunch until they are certified safe again.  That be true.  But even then there are no plans to maintenance the hubble.  This is a worthwhile mission.  This is what space flight is all about.  It is a skill we need to develop if Mr. Bush plans to colonize the moon and go to Mars.  We have to be a little more like the Russians and get out there and fix stuff.  These men and women know the risk and they want to be there anyway.  The shuttles blowing up was all due to execs going cheap.  Something should have been done about the O rings.  They knew they had burnt through one yet they risked that the second ring would hold.  BAD decision!  It was cost cutting that killed the astronauts on both shuttle mishaps.

hobbesmaster

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2004, 08:48:29 pm »
Quote:

The shuttles will not lunch until they are certified safe again.  That be true.  But even then there are no plans to maintenance the hubble.  This is a worthwhile mission.  This is what space flight is all about.  It is a skill we need to develop if Mr. Bush plans to colonize the moon and go to Mars.  We have to be a little more like the Russians and get out there and fix stuff.  These men and women know the risk and they want to be there anyway.  The shuttles blowing up was all due to execs going cheap.  Something should have been done about the O rings.  They knew they had burnt through one yet they risked that the second ring would hold.  BAD decision!  It was cost cutting that killed the astronauts on both shuttle mishaps.

I've explained this a couple times, as has Hypergol.  The safety recommendations of the Columbia accident investigation board essentially prohibit a shuttle from servicing shuttle.  NASA is going to fully comply with the accident investigation board's recommendations so theres basically a 0% chance of Hubble being repaired.  

Sirgod

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 11:16:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I've explained this a couple times, as has Hypergol.  The safety recommendations of the Columbia accident investigation board essentially prohibit a shuttle from servicing shuttle.  NASA is going to fully comply with the accident investigation board's recommendations so theres basically a 0% chance of Hubble being repaired.  

this sounds Like a Job for "The Seti Group"

Seriously, It's a shame we can't Raise the man power, and Finances to send a Private Crew up there to make the fix. what exactly is wrong with hubble ? Is It just basic Maintenance?

Stephen

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 11:28:22 pm »
Quote:

Seriously, It's a shame we can't Raise the man power, and Finances to send a Private Crew up there to make the fix. what exactly is wrong with hubble ? Is It just basic Maintenance?

Stephen  

Sounds like a good sequel for the X-Prize.  The Hubble Prize.    

Sirgod

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 11:39:00 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Stephen  

you know, that's a great idea there.

Stephen

hobbesmaster

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2004, 08:43:56 am »
Quote:

Stephen  

The biggie is replacing the gyroscopes.  Astronauts train for years to do a hubble repair mission, consisting of six days of space walks.  NASA cannot use the space shuttle to get to hubble because of its orbit,  a hubble servicing mission would be in a completely different orbit from the IIS, leaving no abort option as required by the Columbia accident investigation board.    

BortaS

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2004, 10:46:02 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a real shame there are no plans to maintenance the Hubble.  It's apparently a doomed satellite.    

The shuttles will not lunch until they are certified safe again.  

Isn't that what they told us after challenger?

hobbesmaster

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2004, 11:01:01 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The shuttles will not lunch until they are certified safe again.  

Isn't that what they told us after challenger?

And thats what they did after challenger.    

This may be the coolest galaxy I have ever seen
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2004, 11:25:19 am »

Story  

Scott Allen Abfalter

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2004, 11:59:27 am »

Yeah, they won't even TALK to folks from OUR galaxy...

TalonClaw

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2004, 01:24:30 pm »

E_Look

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2004, 01:29:46 pm »
Hey! I thought you guys were talking about a ship model!

ActiveX

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2004, 05:08:16 pm »
Quote:

Hey! I thought you guys were talking about a ship model!  

Why on Risa would you think that?

hobbesmaster

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 06:07:27 pm »
Quote:

TalonClaw

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2004, 06:58:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

hobbesmaster

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 08:48:29 pm »
Quote:

Sirgod

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 11:16:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Stephen

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2004, 11:28:22 pm »
Quote:

Stephen  

Sirgod

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2004, 11:39:00 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Stephen  

you know, that's a great idea there.

Stephen

hobbesmaster

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2004, 08:43:56 am »
Quote:

Stephen  

The biggie is replacing the gyroscopes.  Astronauts train for years to do a hubble repair mission, consisting of six days of space walks.  NASA cannot use the space shuttle to get to hubble because of its orbit,  a hubble servicing mission would be in a completely different orbit from the IIS, leaving no abort option as required by the Columbia accident investigation board.