Topic: Mr Ferrett  (Read 17988 times)

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mr Ferrett
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2003, 05:08:23 pm »
Quote:

Kai Lee speaks the truth, the poor chap got banned before like this.    

And still am, AFAIK. Moving to the new board seems to have caused a problem; my normal banned account cannot be logged into, but for reasons I don't understand I was able to make a new one with no trouble.

It can be very difficult to be unbanned, so I remind everyone even when you tell the truth, make sure to do so politely at all times, lest someone get annoyed:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame79.html

Whiplash

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2003, 08:11:03 pm »
I disagree completely that you can do so much more with a PC.

PC games are so popular because of one reason only. PCs are the largest market-share by far. PCs are kept the largest market partly because there are so many games for it.

PCs became so popular in the first place because of historical reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the capabilities of modern machines. IBM chose Bill Gates' DOS system. The IBM PC was a great success and it snowballed from there.

There are operating systems that are far more stable and easy to use, and just as capable (or moreso).

Its not that I have anything against PCs. I have 4 of them, and 1 Mac. Just don't make the mistake of thinking "most popular" is equivalent to "best". Its not.

W.

Vysander

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2003, 08:16:26 pm »
Look at games both sold and produced for consoles vs pc's... far more for consoles.  I'll see if I can find the numbers around here.

http://www.geek.com/newsbeta2/geeknews/2002Sep/bga20020925016489.htm

Especially in sports games, PC lines are being dumped for console only  (I think it was EA which dropped some sports lines.. i'll see if I can dig out that PC gamer article)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 08:18:43 pm by Vysander »

Dash Jones

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2003, 09:20:03 pm »
A little off topic...but I think IBM PC's were rated the best in the business in the yearly end review by a PC Magazine...I think it was PC world?  Anyone else see it.  It actually was rating tech service I think, and the best computer lines for the tech service, at which IBM rated the highest.  It also rated the highest for working out of the box as well.  Of course, they were only #2 or #3.  The top computer...get this...Macintosh.

I think Dell was #4 or #5.  They didn't have a great working out of the box for their computers, but they had an excellent for their technical service.

IBM is also advertising a computer on TV now for $549.

I don't know how they are doing now though, or how good they really are (That's only one magazine's opinion afterall).  Interesting that Macintosh is rated so high.

There are a lot more Console games released then PC games, but most consoles don't come with Solitaire.

I don't play...course not....don't ever touch Minesweeper either...nope never, not me, don't know who it was that got 8 seconds on Basic, 54 seconds on Medium...and

565 seconds on Expert.  Whoever that was really stunk at Expert mode, not me, never, nope, couldn't be, I deny it, I cannot be guilty until proven so...

What was I talking about again???

Oh yeah, I remember.  As for SFC and bugs...Patch...next week?  Did I hear right?  can't wait.  Love PC's right now too, mine is more versatile than the consoles I play on.  Actually, my cousins play on consoles, I stick pretty much to the computer.  They just beat FF X.  Nice pretty graphics, I watched it some...still like my PC best, and it's games...bugs and all.

Whiplash

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2003, 09:38:47 pm »
Don't confuse quality of the software with how good the tech support is, or even the value for the dollar. Certainly PCs will win those categories. My Mac requires far less maintenance than my PCs, so Apple's tech support, while (I hear is) very good, is not as important. You basically can't get on without it if you own a PC, unless you already know as much as they do, of course. I've never even had to call Apple tech support. My Mac crashes so I have to reboot it 2-3 times a year. It stays up and running all the rest of the time. Its a very capable OS, easily as sophisticated as Windows XP.

I'll concede that consoles are beating everything at games. I wasn't even thinking about those guys. My daughter certainly spends more time on her PS2 than she does playing computer games. If we were just comparing PCs and consoles, then yeah, PCs are way more capable. I'll agree with that completely.

W.

Vysander

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2003, 09:44:49 pm »
well with XP I don't crash unless i'm playing a game that locks up (*cough* sfc3)... if I take it easy on the games I have gone a couple months without rebooting or crashing the OS to the ground

Edit: and what were you comparing if not consoles?  Rereading the posts above.. that's what we were talking about I thought
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 09:47:35 pm by Vysander »