Topic: Old question but relevent sorry if its been answerd allready  (Read 1315 times)

Khalee

Old question but relevent sorry if its been answerd allready
« on: March 02, 2004, 01:28:21 pm »
When the game was first made, whose Idea was it to hard code stuff in it, IE to keep the players from changeing things and or adding things,Paramount?.  And why was that done, like that. And just how much say did ADB have in any of it.

Cleaven

Re: Old question but relevent sorry if its been answerd allready
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 04:47:27 pm »
Probably the programmers. The less variables, the easier things are. Of course you lose flexibility, but time is money.  

red_green

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 10:14:47 pm »
I think it also has to do with  making a sequel more viable. For example, if it were possible to swap out the picture graphics for the race slots in OP.  We could change them to TNG or TOS era.  Instead of a generic officer pic to represent the FEDs.  We could insert Capt Kirk.  Making it too modable might mean that no one would have bought SFC3. Not that many did anyway.  But if it were totally modable you could give it a complete star wars theme and that might upset companies marketing Star Wars games.  I just feel that they might limit the modability  in part for future games or expansions being marketed.  IN SFC3 there is even more hard coding regarding the weapons graphics perhaps because at the time they felt they might put out a xpac with cardassians and if people could mod in cardassian weapons it might hurt the sales.  I dont think hard coding the weapons was a time constraint issue in SFC3.
It might have taken more time to hard code since they had to make changes from OP  to do it.

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 10:16:47 pm »
yup good way to make money, an extra cardy pack lol lol

adam out

Toasty0

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 10:18:17 pm »
Quote:

When the game was first made, whose Idea was it to hard code stuff in it, IE to keep the players from changeing things and or adding things,Paramount?.  And why was that done, like that. And just how much say did ADB have in any of it.  

Let's just say that it wasn't a Taldren decision as far as I know.  

red_green

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 10:27:34 pm »
Oh yea just like to add that Taldren seems like one of the most supportive gaming companies towards modding. There after market support of OP is better than for any game I have seen.  Yup I get all warm and fuzzy  inside when I think about Taldren.

Activision though they make me do this  a lot          

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 10:33:09 pm »
that is true, they are more supportive, im just a greddy person i want more lol

adam out

troycheek

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:01 am »
I vaguely remember hearing/reading something about how SFC3 would specifically NOT have races, weapons, ships, etc hardcoded.  SFC3 was supposed to be the easiest SFC game to modify ever.  Everything was supposed to be user alterable.  That was back in early pre-production, though.  

Khalee

Old question but relevent sorry if its been answerd allready
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 01:28:21 pm »

Cleaven

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 04:47:27 pm »
Probably the programmers. The less variables, the easier things are. Of course you lose flexibility, but time is money.  

red_green

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 10:14:47 pm »
I think it also has to do with  making a sequel more viable. For example, if it were possible to swap out the picture graphics for the race slots in OP.  We could change them to TNG or TOS era.  Instead of a generic officer pic to represent the FEDs.  We could insert Capt Kirk.  Making it too modable might mean that no one would have bought SFC3. Not that many did anyway.  But if it were totally modable you could give it a complete star wars theme and that might upset companies marketing Star Wars games.  I just feel that they might limit the modability  in part for future games or expansions being marketed.  IN SFC3 there is even more hard coding regarding the weapons graphics perhaps because at the time they felt they might put out a xpac with cardassians and if people could mod in cardassian weapons it might hurt the sales.  I dont think hard coding the weapons was a time constraint issue in SFC3.
It might have taken more time to hard code since they had to make changes from OP  to do it.

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 10:16:47 pm »
yup good way to make money, an extra cardy pack lol lol

adam out

Toasty0

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 10:18:17 pm »
Quote:

Let's just say that it wasn't a Taldren decision as far as I know.  

red_green

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 10:27:34 pm »
Oh yea just like to add that Taldren seems like one of the most supportive gaming companies towards modding. There after market support of OP is better than for any game I have seen.  Yup I get all warm and fuzzy  inside when I think about Taldren.

Activision though they make me do this  a lot          

nx_adam_1701

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 10:33:09 pm »
that is true, they are more supportive, im just a greddy person i want more lol

adam out

troycheek

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:01 am »
I vaguely remember hearing/reading something about how SFC3 would specifically NOT have races, weapons, ships, etc hardcoded.  SFC3 was supposed to be the easiest SFC game to modify ever.  Everything was supposed to be user alterable.  That was back in early pre-production, though.