Topic: GE-Raven's obscure Music Trivia thread.  (Read 16531 times)

Uss_Defiant

Re: GE-Raven's obscure Music Trivia thread.
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2004, 08:21:52 pm »
Felix Mendelssohn  

Sirgod

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2004, 08:26:35 pm »
Quote:

Felix Mendelssohn  

And where have you Been? Seriously, It's good to see you posting again.

Stephen

GE-Raven

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2004, 09:05:01 pm »
Quote:

Felix Mendelssohn  

'

We have a winner...  

You see it was so easy a liberal could get it  

j/k defiant, thanks for joining in on the fun.

GE-Raven

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is another name for the compositional style know as "serialism"?

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2004, 09:46:28 am »
Twelve tone.

GE-Raven

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2004, 02:08:07 pm »
762 is right again!

Nicely done

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is creditted with starting the tradition of standing when Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" (From Messiah)  is performed?

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2004, 05:49:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Felix Mendelssohn  

And where have you Been? Seriously, It's good to see you posting again.

Stephen  

Thanks man. I didn't know i was missed. This gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside....

And I was really busy with univ and pulling allot of all nighters (sleep deprivation really does weird things to your mind). Good thing I didn't see this thread though, or i'd be frequenting here allot more often at the expense of my schoolwork. Kudos on the great thread idea Raven. Even a conservative can have a good idea now and then, eh?  

And this is just a shot in the dark, but would the bible be the object which is credited? I actually sang it once, but i don't remember if was credited to anyone or not.

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2004, 12:07:51 am »
Quote:

762 is right again!

Nicely done

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is creditted with starting the tradition of standing when Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" (From Messiah)  is performed?

I couldn't even guess at that.

Sirgod

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2004, 08:33:51 am »
Quote:

Quote:

762 is right again!

Nicely done

I couldn't even guess at that.  

Unless It's a Pope, I have no Clue either.

Stephen

GE-Raven

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2004, 11:11:43 am »
The Legend of it is that King George the II stood at it's first performance (a benefit for an orphanage in Dublin).  Some say he was sleeping and woke up with the load opening of the piece.  Others say he just stood out of reverence.  Some say he thought it was over.  Anyway, when the King stood, so did everyone else.  There is some discussion on whether this is REALLY what happened, but the fact is, no one really knows when it started, and it seems to have been practiced for a LONG time.  SO...

King George II of england!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Mass written by Palestrina, is creditted with saving polyphonic music from being banned in the church via the Council of Trent?

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2004, 11:17:09 am »

I'd like to use one of my lifelines please!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by 762 »

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2004, 07:02:31 pm »
I'm going for Missa Papae Marcelli, since its his biggest one.... and also the coolest one i've sung  

GE-Raven

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2004, 09:50:50 am »
Quote:

I'm going for Missa Papae Marcelli, since its his biggest one.... and also the coolest one i've sung    

Yes.. we have a winner.  Missa Papae Marcelli or Pope Marcellus Mass.  Thank You to defiant.

GE-Raven

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What late renaissance composer gained some level of infamy due to the slaying of his Wife's lover?

*Hint - He is also known for VERY odd uses of chromaticism, and harmony.

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2004, 03:26:07 pm »
Has the buzzer sounded yet?

GE-Raven

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2004, 04:10:07 pm »
Carlo Gesualdo

Quite a guy.  He has one piece that I studied that has a G-minor/minor 7 chord.  And he even uses it as a minor 2 leading to the dominant.  You know like Jazz musicians would be doing some 400 years later.  He was a FREAK.

O.K.  Time for an easy one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who wrote the "minute waltz" ?

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2004, 04:48:35 pm »
Chopin!

Thanks for the easy one, I have never heard of that other guy (took theory and comp in college too).  

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2004, 08:21:10 pm »
Quote:

And he even uses it as a minor 2 leading to the dominant.  You know like Jazz musicians would be doing some 400 years later.  He was a FREAK.

You know you're a geak when you actually understand that.  

GE-Raven

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2004, 07:46:59 am »
Quote:

Chopin!

Thanks for the easy one, I have never heard of that other guy (took theory and comp in college too).    

RIght again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This piece is often called the "National Mourning Music".  It was played by string quartets at both FDR's and JFK's funeral.  It also is famous from it use in the Movie Platoon.

What is the name of this piece and who wrote it?

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2004, 10:34:02 am »
The answer is:

I don't know!

GE-Raven

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 10:55:51 am »
Answer is:

Samuel Barber's Adagio (for Strings)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This composer was "born on the Fourth of July" and was famous for his Patriotic music during WWI.  They include "I'm a Yankke Doodle Dandy" and "Over There".

Who is he?

GE-Raven

GE-Raven's obscure Music Trivia thread.
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2004, 09:44:56 am »
First off... this will not be a "pop" music trivia thread.  I plan to just have a little fun, considerring there are several people here with a large amount of musical knowledge, I thought it might be fun to have a little quiz show... If there is no interest, I am sure it will soon become apparent.

Please try not to use google to solve the question unless NO one has gotten it in over a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A famous piece of music was said to be "revealed" to the public in a strange way.  This particular piece was performed during Holy Week in Rome and the Music was kept locked away and no copies were allowed to exist.  However in the 18th Century a performance of the piece was attended by one Wolfgang Amedeus Mozart.  After the performance he went to his room and "wrote out" what he had heard some hour later.  As the legend goes this version was later published.  Over 50 years after Mozart's death the "real" original version was allowed to be copied and upon reconciling the two it was found that Mozart's version was perfect, including the key.

What was the name of this piece?

Bonus:  Who was the composer?

GE-Raven