Topic: Visual C++, Do you need it?  (Read 5099 times)

Merlinfmct87

Visual C++, Do you need it?
« on: April 07, 2004, 06:47:35 pm »
I'm trying to figure out of the SFC API will work with another C++ Compiler. I'm aware of FMSE, I'm just saying I know that if you write it in C++ yourself, you can achieve a lot more. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks for your time,

Merlin  

Pestalence

Re: Visual C++, Do you need it?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 07:43:42 pm »
Yes the scripts for SFC only compile correctly using Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0 Sp 5

Using any other compiler like Borelands or some other C++ Compiler will cause the scripts to crash game out and the game will be unlayable until the invalid scripts are removed... so as I stated the Microsoft version is the only one that will work.. sorry.

also FMSE only works for SFC II EAW and the Original SFC.. it is not compatible with SFC II OP or SFC 3.

Hope that this helps

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 12:04:13 pm »
Grr. I was afraid of that. Well, until I can save $100 for VC++, I'm screwed in OP.

Thanks for quick answer Pestelence, I really liked the OP+ 3.2 mod you put together with FireSoul.

Merlin  

Pestalence

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 03:32:26 pm »
NP.. jst make sure that you get Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

do not get the Visual.net version .. anything before or after Visual C++ 6.0 will not work..

after getting Visual C++ 6.0 make sure you get the SP 5 update.. nothing higher as higher versions will not compile correctly..

Pestalence

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:36:17 pm »
Quote:

Grr. I was afraid of that. Well, until I can save $100 for VC++, I'm screwed in OP.

Thanks for quick answer Pestelence, I really liked the OP+ 3.2 mod you put together with FireSoul.

Merlin  

Just as a clairification.. Firesoul did the entire OP + 3.2 shiplist mod.. I only took everyone's most popular work available (Firesouls's many works, Nuclear wessels scripts, Tracey G's scripts, karnak's Scripts, Magnumman's Sector Assault, Atrahasis and Pneumatic 81's models, And Eagle Eye Software's Shipedit) and put it into 1 installer so that people wouldn't have to hunt for a week recovering those items... My Installer is called OP Enhancement Pack.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 09:33:16 pm »
Anybody have a copy of Sp 5 for Visual C++ they can mail me or send via cable through MSN Messenger?

Its a 100+ MB d/l for me as a 56ker and will take forever to d/l.

I would love to crack open the C++ book I have had on my desk for about the past five months.

Who knows, if I can learn this programming language maybe we'll actually get some of the SFC1/custom SFC1 missions to play in OP....

KF the dreamer...

Toasty0

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 10:12:55 pm »
I'm on now...

Toasty0@cox.net  

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 01:10:57 am »
Pestelence: Right, that's what I meant. Should have been more clear.

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 01:15:24 am »
Hey Toasty...mind mailing me a copy? :P

Toasty0

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 09:33:24 am »
You have an email addy? I don't see one in your profile.

Best,
Jerry  

Toasty0

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 12:52:55 am »
ack. I tried to send you the file but its size ecceeds my email file size limitations.

We have two options. I can burn it for you and send it pony express, or you can go to the MS site and DL it yourself.

Let me know.

Best,
Jerry  

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 02:24:07 pm »
Point me to the MS Site Please.  

Toasty0

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 09:40:30 pm »
Point me to the MS Site Please.  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp6/default.aspx

Is there anything else we can do for you?

Your moderator dollars at work,
Toasty0  

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 10:20:14 pm »
Sorry bud, that won't do me any good. I don't have VC++.  

Toasty0

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 09:56:48 pm »
Quote:

So, you missed Pestelance's post explaining you need VC++6.0sp5 to do any EAW/OP/SFCIII scripting?

Best,
Jerry  

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 07:03:41 pm »
No, I caught it. I just didn't know what you were giving me, and since it didn't work, I wanted to let you know. That's all. I wasn't *trying* to be a pain in the arse, it just comes natrually.    

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 03:32:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

So, you missed Pestelance's post explaining you need VC++6.0sp5 to do any EAW/OP/SFCIII scripting?

Best,
Jerry  

I think Pestalence needs to change is user name this isn't the first time I noticed some people calling him Pestelence at least i spell it right.  

Toasty0

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 10:37:34 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Best,
Jerry  

I think Pestalence needs to change is user name this isn't the first time I noticed some people calling him Pestelence at least i spell it right.  

Well that was really helpful? While you're busy correcting my spelling do you mind picking up my laundry, cooking my meals, and generally looking out for my welfare?

*sheesh*  

TalonClaw

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 04:05:15 pm »
Quote:

Merlin  

You might try getting it through work or your Univeristy.  Sometimes you can get a better price.

You could also go ahead and work on a script and have someone who has VC++ compile it for ya.  I know that's the hard way though.

Microsoft software is not cheap.  That's for sure.

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 05:08:21 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Merlin  

You might try getting it through work or your Univeristy.  Sometimes you can get a better price.

You could also go ahead and work on a script and have someone who has VC++ compile it for ya.  I know that's the hard way though.

Microsoft software is not cheap.  That's for sure.  

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Merlin