Topic: For SFC 3 mod and model makers...  (Read 1017 times)

Pestalence

For SFC 3 mod and model makers...
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:49:01 pm »
I created a v531 patch support page.. in this page i added to the readme some information that was not available at time of v531 release (or i couldn't find it until today)...

as such.. 3/4 the way down the page, in the fixing list, I added the SFC 3 Firing Arc chart.. this should help you allow for better positions for placing weapons on your models, and for making better ship spec files on these models...

the page can be found :

HERE

hope that this helps....

yeaterk

Re: For SFC 3 mod and model makers...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 09:05:22 pm »
kinda hard to read it, but i take it is the next patch, downloading it right now. i like the new weopen arcs, that alone makes it worth it in my eyes.  

Scorpion

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 09:33:46 pm »
Wow.  Thanks very much.  I like all those new firing arcs a lot.    

Futurama_Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 03:36:23 am »
Muy excellente!

yeaterk

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:05:48 pm »
bump  

yeaterk

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 12:55:00 pm »
Noticed that they added a row to the defaultcore file called ship size, no wounder coping over my old file  caused the game to crash.  Now has anybody noticed if it make the ship bigger or smaller in game if you change this number?  

InragedSith

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 01:29:09 pm »
Quote:

Noticed that they added a row to the defaultcore file called ship size, no wounder coping over my old file  caused the game to crash.  Now has anybody noticed if it make the ship bigger or smaller in game if you change this number?  

Ship size affects only the shield rings

Pestalence

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 01:42:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ship size affects only the shield rings  

incorrect. shipsize effects the size of the model in the game.. this is designed to prevent people from cheating as they did in previous titles...

such as Player A DL's a custom model not made to game scale (not actual scale, but game scale)

Player B uses Stock Model..

Player A can get an unfair adbantage over Player B by using a model much larger than what Player B has..

example : Both Player A & B get the Galaxy...

Player A replaces Galaxy with the Scimitar model

Player B retains the Galaxy..

Player A will see Player B at a closer range than Player B will see Player A

as such, the damage charts for SFC 3 are now being effected by 2 sets of data from the 2 players...

as such.. if Player A reads range 8, player B will read range 10...

this produces a shift of damage per range between players.. and as such, it represents a cheat...

the Model Size numerical value was added to SFC 3, just as it was added to EAW and OP, only in a different place..

as such the game will now automatically resize a model to game scale based on the value entered...

as for a scale of what the numerical values represent... you will have to figure that out.. just play with the numbers...

Hope this explanation helps...

yeaterk

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 02:38:14 pm »
ahhhhhh okay more to it then i thought..... i noticed if i left it blank that the sheild rings where way smaller then the ship, havent had time to noticed the ship size being differnt yet anyway.  Going to have to play with the numbers i guess, and resize them to right size.( bummer that is going to be a lot of work lol) Does the ship size row need to be in default core to work?  Not planing on playing vs anyone online so that is not a probem. Thanks for the info.  

Pestalence

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 04:12:52 pm »
Model size does not effect single player use.. the problem only occurs in Multi-Player...

See the way the game works (all SCF's as it is the same portion of the game engine in each game) is that when you are in a Multi-player match.. the people on each end's computer calculates damage to the opponent, then transmits that to the other person..

example :

Player A shoots Player B.. Player A's computer calculates X ammount of damage..

Player B fires back at Player A at the exact instant player A fired..  Player B's computer calculates damage..

this is then transferred to each other and the game engine applies it to the opponents.

Problem is when a ship's model size is different than the opponent, it changes the range bracket for damage inflicted.. IE players are looking at differrent models for the same ship.

this means if Player A fires for 15 Pts damage at range 8 and he has a custom model... player B could be seeing him from range 15...

thus when Player A Fires, his damage will be in the 6-8 range bracket where Player B's damage will be in the 14-16 range bracket when he fires... as such, an unfair contest between the 2 as it is cheating...

for Single Player, then the model size makes no difference except how they show up on screen to you.. but damage values between AI and Player will remain constant as AI will see your ship as you see it.. against another Human.. then it is different.. they have their own model set.. which is why the model size was added..

I am sure that a lot of big winners on the gaming leagues playing SFC 3 will all of a sudden hate SFC 3 and say v531 unbalanced the game, when in actuality their models got resized by the game engine and put them on a level playing field and they can't deal with it..

anyhow.. just letting you know..

For single player use.. model size makes no difference..

in SFC 3 GSA or D3 play, then it is a major factor.. especially in mods...

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

The_Pelican

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 06:41:34 pm »
Actually, it doesn't alter the physical size of the model. Only what the game CONSIDERS it's physical size to be. The reason for the cheat before was that this was autocalculated based on the physical size of the model. In the end it just altered the range between your Model & your opponents Model, as Pest said.

There is a much easier way of cheating on D3, but I'll be damned if I ever let that get out into the public... D3 wouldn't last a week...