Topic: Star Wars: The TV Show?  (Read 9824 times)

NCC2012

Star Wars: The TV Show?
« on: May 03, 2004, 07:25:51 pm »
(More) news from theforce.net on a rumored Star Wars live-action television show:
http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23814

More SW TV Series Confirmation
Mon, May 03, 04 01:00:20 AM EDT

Sean writes in with this cool report to confirm work on a SW TV Show is most definitely happening:
I asked him about Star Wars' future and he got really excited and told me in thinly veiled comments that it is going to TV (live-action) . He couldn't go into details because he was under a legal contract.
So I asked this gentlemen if the show was pre-EP4, he said maybe with a smile, then I asked about Vader, and he had the same response, same with Chewbacca, same with Tarkin. Anyways he said Lucasfilm was really excited about this, and he did mention that there were to be no Episodes 7-9.

We've got more coming this week, but let's just say a TV Show is a definite thing, according to documents being distributed to licensees and marketing people now.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NCC2012 »

Kmelew

Re: Star Wars: The TV Show?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:29:11 pm »
Very cool if true!!  

But the productions costs to do it right would be staggering.

Anyway, here's hoping!  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 09:07:59 pm »
If I were planning this, I'd get it on HBO, since a.) there's no real time constraints on when things need to be done, just at look at how long it takes between seasons of The Sopranos and b.) chances are on a big budget project like this, Lucasfilm would get all the financial and creative control they want without having to worry too much about the network and sponsors.

Kmelew

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 09:16:07 pm »
Then again, I hope it's not one those so-called "reality TV" shows...

"The Jedi Apprentice"   hmpf.  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 09:22:24 pm »
Quote:

More like "Sith Apprentice," since theForce.net's been hinting that it's set after Episode III (and the site does know more than they've said so far).

NCC2012

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 09:49:09 pm »
I'm hoping for syndication, myself.

TheSatyr

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 11:16:40 am »
Considering how awful the last two movies were,I wouldn't be surprised if a tv series was just as bad.

Rat_Boy

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 12:51:32 pm »
Quote:

Considering how awful the last two movies were,I wouldn't be surprised if a tv series was just as bad.

The prequels suffered from GL's bad writing and inability to evoke emotion from the actors he directs.  Since it's more than likely that he'll be passing off the work on the series to other writers and directors, I see it being better.  Someone get Ira Steven Behr on the phone!

TalonClaw

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 01:32:39 pm »
Since TV is a whole new medium I have hopes that GL will let a whole new set of ppl work on it.  Anyway I love Star Wars and will eat it up even if it has more bad acting.  

Javora

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 05:26:48 pm »
Quote:

I would like to see that myself, however with syndication being in the dumpster the last couple of years I don't see that happening.  A good example of this would be Andromeda moving to Sci-Fi and the possibility of shows like Mutant X being cancelled.  The best bet IMHO for a Star Wars series would be to find a network that could put the series in a slot with other Science fiction shows.  Maybe like on the same night as the Superman series on the WB or the same night as Enterprise on UPN.

But a Star Wars series with a lot of action (unlike Star Trek dialog driven shows) would be very cool.

hobbesmaster

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 08:36:52 pm »
Quote:

Anyway I love Star Wars and will eat it up even if it has more bad acting.    

Well, it has to be at least the quality of Voyager.  As enterprise demonstrates, you can't actively piss off your fan base but you can do so through passive attrition.  

Lepton1

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:01 am »
Quote:

If I were planning this, I'd get it on HBO, since a.) there's no real time constraints on when things need to be done, just at look at how long it takes between seasons of The Sopranos and b.) chances are on a big budget project like this, Lucasfilm would get all the financial and creative control they want without having to worry too much about the network and sponsors.  

If they do put it on HBO, I will gut you for even having suggested it.  I'm not paying 12 bucks a month to see one show.

Sirgod

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 11:15:35 am »
As long as Bea Arthur Doesn't sing, I'll be happy...

Stephen  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 11:17:58 am »
Oh dear, not again.

Dash Jones

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 01:10:55 pm »
If it is happening...that's saying if it is...my first bet would be that it will first be offered to Fox or one of it's affiliates...just a strange hunch of mine...

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 02:02:20 pm »
Oh, no, you did NOT just dredge up the Star Wars Holiday Special!

Even George Lucas thinks that travesty should be forgotten. I say it should be burned, buried, launched into the sun, and then, just for good measure, nuked.

Even that may not be enough....    

Sirgod

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 02:07:20 pm »
Quote:

Even George Lucas thinks that travesty should be forgotten. I say it should be burned, buried, launched into the sun, and then, just for good measure, nuked.

LOL, yep , I'm an Evil evil man.  

Stephen

DH123

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »
Base is on Kyle Katarin.  The Jedi Knight titles had better stories and acting than Episodes 1 and 2.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 08:01:09 pm »
Didn't Berman and Braga say that they were looking at moving on to another SciFi tv show?  You wouldn't expect them to create something would you?  I'm sure that they would stick to Star Wars canon as well as they did Trek in Enterprise.  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 08:04:29 pm »
Quote:

I'm sure that they would stick to Star Wars canon as well as they did Trek in Enterprise.  

There certainly are parts of SW canon that meesa wouldn't mind them ignoring.

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 08:33:44 pm »
Quote:

Then you'll love this link.  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 08:38:12 pm »
Quote:

Hey Lepton, mind beating him up while you're in the mood?  

Maxillius

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2004, 09:04:21 pm »
Quote:

Didn't Berman and Braga say that they were looking at moving on to another SciFi tv show?  You wouldn't expect them to create something would you?  I'm sure that they would stick to Star Wars canon as well as they did Trek in Enterprise.  

So it's not enough that they seriously pissed off the Star Trek fanbase, now they have to go and do it to the Star Wars fanbase as well???

Some one shoot them before they mess with 2001/2010

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2004, 09:17:59 pm »
Quote:

So it's not enough that they seriously pissed off the Star Trek fanbase, now they have to go and do it to the Star Wars fanbase as well???

Starring Wil Wheaton as Luke Skywalker
 and Jolene Blaylock as his (Humanoid) spandex clad droid companion  

Praxis

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2004, 10:36:42 pm »
Let's see.

A series based on the Thrawn books (5 years after Return of the Jedi) would be just *AWESOME*.  It would be the best as well, as those were the best of the best SW books, and also were the first authorized novels to come out after the movies.

Unfortunately, most of the actors (especially Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker) are too old to play 5-year-older characters.

New Jedi Order would make the most sense.  I loved the New Jedi Order series with the exception of Vector Prime (which they could easily redo).  It's a whopping 19 books long I believe, so a TV series could last a long time.  Plus, while a lot of the original characters are still there, (such as Luke and Leia and Han and C-3PO and R2-D2), they're SUPPOSED to be 25 years older, so they could still use the original actors (that haven't died yet, lol).  Plus with all the new characters (Han and Leia's 3 children that are teens, Chewie's nephew Lowbacca) to fill in, it would be an awesome series.

Though the Yuuzhan Vong on TV might give people nightmares  

Tremok

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 12:03:45 am »
The New Jedi Order series is a stinking pile of crap. The rest of the Star Wars novel line up ranges from average to mediocre. All of it is completely uninspired. I can understand why George Lucas decided to completey reject the Expanded Universe from the Star Wars canon proper.

Star Wars games are where the good non-movie stories are at, specifically the Jedi Knights series and Knights of the Old Republic.    

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tremok »

Praxis

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 01:07:27 am »
Quote:

The New Jedi Order series is a stinking pile of crap.

You've obviously not read past the first book (which really stunk BTW).  Dark Tide I and II RULE, as do Star by Star and a number of the later books.

Quote:

The rest of the Star Wars novel line up ranges from average to mediocre. All of it is completely uninspired.

Are you kidding?

The Thrawn trilogy...the X-wing books...UNINSPIRED?  Are you insane?

Quote:

I can understand why George Lucas decided to completey reject the Expanded Universe from the Star Wars canon proper.

Er...when did this happen...the EU is still considered part of Star Wars canon.

Did you know Coruscant was invented in the Expanded Universe?

Tremok

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:49 am »
Quote:

You've obviously not read past the first book (which really stunk BTW).  Dark Tide I and II RULE, as do Star by Star and a number of the later books.  

I am tempted to take those Dark Tide books off my shelf and burn them, now that you mentioned them, as they are a insult to my other fine books setting on my shelf.  

Quote:

Are you kidding?

The Thrawn trilogy...the X-wing books...UNINSPIRED? Are you insane?  

You bet. Without Remorse (Tom Clancy), Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton), Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien) , and the Dragonlance Chronicles (Mararet Weis and Tracy Hickman) are examples what I consider inspired fiction. Every Star Wars novel I ever read is more of the same trite hogwash typical of fiction based on movies and tv series.  

Quote:

When George Lucas pays no attention at all to the Expanded Universe when doing his Star Wars thing, is not really canon is it? It might have a continuity to itself (LucasBooks doesn't allow novels to contradict other novels), it might be considered a parallel universe or what not, but it's not real Star Wars. The only real Star Wars is the one on film.

This, happily, lets me gleefully reject all of the Expanded Universe rubbish as something not Star Wars.

From the official Star Wars website itself...    

Praxis

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 10:49:07 am »
You obviously have no taste :P

And with that little article you sent...you're obviously looking at this part

Quote:

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films.

However, reading the CONTEXT, this is the guy at LucasBook's OPINION.  He's not the official Q&A guy for LucasArts- he was just quoted from him.  In fact, that quote is very well known, and is known to be the writer's OPINION.

Read further down:

Quote:

they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

No, they were never rejected from SW canon.  Don't twist words.

In fact, it's the GAME'S that they were talking about that they consider non-canon, and with reason- the games were never considered canon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Praxis »

Dash Jones

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:34 pm »
Ah, so sad.  The games actually typically have better stories, and overall, seem to rub better with the star wars universe.

I've managed to read the books by Zahn, but when trying to read the other star wars books, most of them really...well, to put it lightly, don't strike me as a style of book I like to read.

However, I do beleive Lucas has said the games are not canon, at least KoToR when asked about it.  But he does have kids...

I bet that actually is probably a bigger influence than some might assume...

He does have kids...

Tremok

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 05:49:07 pm »
Quote:

You be surpised at how little your opinion of my taste in literature means to me.  

Quote:

However, reading the CONTEXT, this is the guy at LucasBook's OPINION.  He's not the official Q&A guy for LucasArts- he was just quoted from him.  In fact, that quote is very well known, and is known to be the writer's OPINION.

Hmm. So on the official website in a section called "ask the LucasFilm Jedi Council," a guy named Steve Sansweet, a LucasFilm liaison, is asked by a fan about Star Wars canon. Steve responds that it is largely a matter of "point of view" but nevertheless felt it worthy to quote Chris Cerasi's (a LucasBooks person) "opinion."

Obviously this Chris Cerasi's opinion has no weight or value. After all, he was only quoted by a LucasFilm liaison when asked about Star Wars canon, and what would a LucasBooks editor know about Star Wars canon anyway?

Quote:

Read further down:  

I read the entire article before posting.  

Quote:

they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

What does this have to do with canon? Why do you quote this statement but try to discredit the other? And why don't you quote the whole paragraph, or even the whole sentence?

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies."

Quote:

No, they were never rejected from SW canon.  

Obviously an editor of LocusBooks disagrees with you.

Quote:

Don't twist words.  

Speak for yourself, hypocrite. I'm not the one misquoting half-sentences.  

Quote:

In fact, it's the GAME'S that they were talking about that they consider non-canon, and with reason- the games were never considered canon.

Who were talking about games? The fan that asked the question? He said: "I'm really confused about canon. Is Star Wars Gamer canon? What about the Marvel series? Are they now considered "Infinities?" Star Wars Gamer is a magazine, and "the Marvel series" refers to the Marvel monthly Star Wars comic. The LocusBooks editor? He certainly talks about things other than games.

And you talk about Star Wars games like they weren't part of the Expanded Universe. From the official Star Wars webpage (http://www.starwars.com/eu/), I quote: "If your experience with Star Wars has been just the movies, you're only getting a fraction of the entire tale. Since the start, the Star Wars saga has been expanded through novels, comics, and games. Here you'll find news on the latest releases, interviews with your favorite authors and artists, and much more."

(All italics are mine)  

Praxis

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2004, 06:46:15 pm »
Quote:

Hmm. So on the official website in a section called "ask the LucasFilm Jedi Council," a guy named Steve Sansweet, a LucasFilm liaison, is asked by a fan about Star Wars canon. Steve responds that it is largely a matter of "point of view" but nevertheless felt it worthy to quote Chris Cerasi's (a LucasBooks person) "opinion."

Obviously this Chris Cerasi's opinion has no weight or value. After all, he was only quoted by a LucasFilm liaison when asked about Star Wars canon, and what would a LucasBooks editor know about Star Wars canon anyway?

He quoted that guy as an example of another opinion.  He never stated it was his own, or George Lucas'.  In fact, he specifically stated that Lucas works closely with the Star Wars novelists, and they are largely true to his vision.

This implies that the LucasBooks editor's opinion is that they are semi-canon and the true canon is the movies.  It never says that its the official opinion of the Jedi Council or of George Lucas.  In fact, the Jedi Council said it was a matter of opinion.

Quote:

What does this have to do with canon? Why do you quote this statement but try to discredit the other? And why don't you quote the whole paragraph, or even the whole sentence?

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies."

I didn't quote the whole paragraph because the first part wasn't relative.

That first sentence is the GUY'S INTERPRITATION!!!  HIS OPINION!  It was stated from the outset of the article!

The part about George Lucas working closely with the authors, and the fact that they are accurate depictions of the Star Wars movies, is the point.

Quote:

The editor of LUCASbooks (no, not LocusBooks...you misspelled it) has the personal opinion that the Star Wars movies are the absolute canon.  Which is true.  He never said, NOT ONCE, that the books were "rejected" as you put it, from the canon.

And you accuse ME of twisting words

Quote:

Who were talking about games? The fan that asked the question? He said: "I'm really confused about canon. Is Star Wars Gamer canon? What about the Marvel series? Are they now considered "Infinities?" Star Wars Gamer is a magazine, and "the Marvel series" refers to the Marvel monthly Star Wars comic.

Exactly my point.   He was talking about comics and gaming magazines.  They're *obviously* non-canon, and *thats* what the question was about.

Quote:

The LocusBooks editor? He certainly talks about things other than games.

LocusBooks?  Interesting, did George Lucas change his name to George Locus?

Sure, HE talks about his opinion on the novels, but the main point being addressed was about the *games* and *comics*.

Quote:

And you talk about Star Wars games like they weren't part of the Expanded Universe. From the official Star Wars webpage (http://www.starwars.com/eu/), I quote: "If your experience with Star Wars has been just the movies, you're only getting a fraction of the entire tale. Since the start, the Star Wars saga has been expanded through novels, comics, and games. Here you'll find news on the latest releases, interviews with your favorite authors and artists, and much more."

(All italics are mine)  

Sure, its *obviously* been expanded in games.  That doesn't make them canon or semi-canon as the novels are.  From what I hear, Lucas considers the novels to be semi-canon-  games are just spin-offs.

NCC2012

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2004, 07:25:51 pm »
(More) news from theforce.net on a rumored Star Wars live-action television show:

Sean writes in with this cool report to confirm work on a SW TV Show is most definitely happening:
I asked him about Star Wars' future and he got really excited and told me in thinly veiled comments that it is going to TV (live-action) . He couldn't go into details because he was under a legal contract.
So I asked this gentlemen if the show was pre-EP4, he said maybe with a smile, then I asked about Vader, and he had the same response, same with Chewbacca, same with Tarkin. Anyways he said Lucasfilm was really excited about this, and he did mention that there were to be no Episodes 7-9.

We've got more coming this week, but let's just say a TV Show is a definite thing, according to documents being distributed to licensees and marketing people now.

Kmelew

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2004, 07:29:11 pm »
Very cool if true!!  

Anyway, here's hoping!  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2004, 09:07:59 pm »

Kmelew

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2004, 09:16:07 pm »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2004, 09:22:24 pm »
Quote:

More like "Sith Apprentice," since theForce.net's been hinting that it's set after Episode III (and the site does know more than they've said so far).

NCC2012

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2004, 09:49:09 pm »

TheSatyr

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2004, 11:16:40 am »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2004, 12:51:32 pm »
Quote:

The prequels suffered from GL's bad writing and inability to evoke emotion from the actors he directs.  Since it's more than likely that he'll be passing off the work on the series to other writers and directors, I see it being better.  Someone get Ira Steven Behr on the phone!

TalonClaw

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2004, 01:32:39 pm »
Since TV is a whole new medium I have hopes that GL will let a whole new set of ppl work on it.  Anyway I love Star Wars and will eat it up even if it has more bad acting.  

Javora

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2004, 05:26:48 pm »
Quote:

I would like to see that myself, however with syndication being in the dumpster the last couple of years I don't see that happening.  A good example of this would be Andromeda moving to Sci-Fi and the possibility of shows like Mutant X being cancelled.  The best bet IMHO for a Star Wars series would be to find a network that could put the series in a slot with other Science fiction shows.  Maybe like on the same night as the Superman series on the WB or the same night as Enterprise on UPN.

But a Star Wars series with a lot of action (unlike Star Trek dialog driven shows) would be very cool.

hobbesmaster

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2004, 08:36:52 pm »
Quote:

Well, it has to be at least the quality of Voyager.  As enterprise demonstrates, you can't actively piss off your fan base but you can do so through passive attrition.  

Lepton1

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:01 am »
Quote:

If they do put it on HBO, I will gut you for even having suggested it.  I'm not paying 12 bucks a month to see one show.

Sirgod

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2004, 11:15:35 am »

Stephen  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2004, 11:17:58 am »
Oh dear, not again.

Dash Jones

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2004, 01:10:55 pm »
If it is happening...that's saying if it is...my first bet would be that it will first be offered to Fox or one of it's affiliates...just a strange hunch of mine...

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2004, 02:02:20 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2004, 02:07:20 pm »
Quote:

Stephen

DH123

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »
Base is on Kyle Katarin.  The Jedi Knight titles had better stories and acting than Episodes 1 and 2.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2004, 08:01:09 pm »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2004, 08:04:29 pm »
Quote:

I'm sure that they would stick to Star Wars canon as well as they did Trek in Enterprise.  

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2004, 08:33:44 pm »
Quote:

Rat_Boy

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2004, 08:38:12 pm »
Quote:

Maxillius

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2004, 09:04:21 pm »
Quote:

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2004, 09:17:59 pm »
Quote:

Praxis

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2004, 10:36:42 pm »
Let's see.

A series based on the Thrawn books (5 years after Return of the Jedi) would be just *AWESOME*.  It would be the best as well, as those were the best of the best SW books, and also were the first authorized novels to come out after the movies.

Unfortunately, most of the actors (especially Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker) are too old to play 5-year-older characters.

New Jedi Order would make the most sense.  I loved the New Jedi Order series with the exception of Vector Prime (which they could easily redo).  It's a whopping 19 books long I believe, so a TV series could last a long time.  Plus, while a lot of the original characters are still there, (such as Luke and Leia and Han and C-3PO and R2-D2), they're SUPPOSED to be 25 years older, so they could still use the original actors (that haven't died yet, lol).  Plus with all the new characters (Han and Leia's 3 children that are teens, Chewie's nephew Lowbacca) to fill in, it would be an awesome series.

Tremok

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2004, 12:03:45 am »
The New Jedi Order series is a stinking pile of crap. The rest of the Star Wars novel line up ranges from average to mediocre. All of it is completely uninspired. I can understand why George Lucas decided to completey reject the Expanded Universe from the Star Wars canon proper.

Star Wars games are where the good non-movie stories are at, specifically the Jedi Knights series and Knights of the Old Republic.    

Praxis

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2004, 01:07:27 am »
Quote:

Quote:

The rest of the Star Wars novel line up ranges from average to mediocre. All of it is completely uninspired.

Are you kidding?

Quote:

I can understand why George Lucas decided to completey reject the Expanded Universe from the Star Wars canon proper.

Tremok

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:49 am »
Quote:

I am tempted to take those Dark Tide books off my shelf and burn them, now that you mentioned them, as they are a insult to my other fine books setting on my shelf.  

Quote:

Are you kidding?

You bet. Without Remorse (Tom Clancy), Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton), Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien) , and the Dragonlance Chronicles (Mararet Weis and Tracy Hickman) are examples what I consider inspired fiction. Every Star Wars novel I ever read is more of the same trite hogwash typical of fiction based on movies and tv series.  

Quote:

When George Lucas pays no attention at all to the Expanded Universe when doing his Star Wars thing, is not really canon is it? It might have a continuity to itself (LucasBooks doesn't allow novels to contradict other novels), it might be considered a parallel universe or what not, but it's not real Star Wars. The only real Star Wars is the one on film.

This, happily, lets me gleefully reject all of the Expanded Universe rubbish as something not Star Wars.

Praxis

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2004, 10:49:07 am »

Quote:

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films.

Read further down:

Quote:

Dash Jones

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:34 pm »
Ah, so sad.  The games actually typically have better stories, and overall, seem to rub better with the star wars universe.

I've managed to read the books by Zahn, but when trying to read the other star wars books, most of them really...well, to put it lightly, don't strike me as a style of book I like to read.

However, I do beleive Lucas has said the games are not canon, at least KoToR when asked about it.  But he does have kids...

He does have kids...

Tremok

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2004, 05:49:07 pm »
Quote:

You be surpised at how little your opinion of my taste in literature means to me.  

Quote:

Quote:

Read further down:  

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't twist words.  

Quote:

Who were talking about games? The fan that asked the question? He said: "I'm really confused about canon. Is Star Wars Gamer canon? What about the Marvel series? Are they now considered "Infinities?" Star Wars Gamer is a magazine, and "the Marvel series" refers to the Marvel monthly Star Wars comic. The LocusBooks editor? He certainly talks about things other than games.

(All italics are mine)  

Praxis

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2004, 06:46:15 pm »
Quote:

He quoted that guy as an example of another opinion.  He never stated it was his own, or George Lucas'.  In fact, he specifically stated that Lucas works closely with the Star Wars novelists, and they are largely true to his vision.

This implies that the LucasBooks editor's opinion is that they are semi-canon and the true canon is the movies.  It never says that its the official opinion of the Jedi Council or of George Lucas.  In fact, the Jedi Council said it was a matter of opinion.

Quote:

That first sentence is the GUY'S INTERPRITATION!!!  HIS OPINION!  It was stated from the outset of the article!

The part about George Lucas working closely with the authors, and the fact that they are accurate depictions of the Star Wars movies, is the point.

Quote:

The editor of LUCASbooks (no, not LocusBooks...you misspelled it) has the personal opinion that the Star Wars movies are the absolute canon.  Which is true.  He never said, NOT ONCE, that the books were "rejected" as you put it, from the canon.

Quote:

Who were talking about games? The fan that asked the question? He said: "I'm really confused about canon. Is Star Wars Gamer canon? What about the Marvel series? Are they now considered "Infinities?" Star Wars Gamer is a magazine, and "the Marvel series" refers to the Marvel monthly Star Wars comic.

Exactly my point.   He was talking about comics and gaming magazines.  They're *obviously* non-canon, and *thats* what the question was about.

Quote:

Sure, HE talks about his opinion on the novels, but the main point being addressed was about the *games* and *comics*.

Quote:

(All italics are mine)  

Sure, its *obviously* been expanded in games.  That doesn't make them canon or semi-canon as the novels are.  From what I hear, Lucas considers the novels to be semi-canon-  games are just spin-offs.

NCC2012

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2004, 07:25:51 pm »

Kmelew

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2004, 07:29:11 pm »
Very cool if true!!  

Anyway, here's hoping!  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2004, 09:07:59 pm »

Kmelew

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2004, 09:16:07 pm »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2004, 09:22:24 pm »
Quote:

NCC2012

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2004, 09:49:09 pm »

TheSatyr

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2004, 11:16:40 am »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2004, 12:51:32 pm »
Quote:

TalonClaw

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2004, 01:32:39 pm »

Javora

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2004, 05:26:48 pm »
Quote:

hobbesmaster

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2004, 08:36:52 pm »
Quote:

Lepton1

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:01 am »
Quote:

Sirgod

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2004, 11:15:35 am »

Stephen  

Rat_Boy

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2004, 11:17:58 am »
Oh dear, not again.

Dash Jones

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 01:10:55 pm »

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2004, 02:02:20 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2004, 02:07:20 pm »
Quote:

Stephen

DH123

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2004, 08:01:09 pm »

Rat_Boy

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2004, 08:04:29 pm »
Quote:

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2004, 08:33:44 pm »
Quote:

Rat_Boy

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2004, 08:38:12 pm »
Quote:

Maxillius

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2004, 09:04:21 pm »
Quote:

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2004, 09:17:59 pm »
Quote:

Praxis

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2004, 10:36:42 pm »
Let's see.

Tremok

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2004, 12:03:45 am »

Praxis

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2004, 01:07:27 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding?

Quote:

Tremok

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:49 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding?

Quote:

Praxis

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2004, 10:49:07 am »

Quote:

Read further down:

Quote:

Dash Jones

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:34 pm »

He does have kids...

Tremok

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2004, 05:49:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Read further down:  

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't twist words.  

Quote:

(All italics are mine)  

Praxis

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2004, 06:46:15 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(All italics are mine)