Topic: T bombs in SFC3 ?  (Read 9402 times)

frazzle

Re: T bombs in SFC3 ?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2004, 07:55:02 am »
After a bit of thought, fighters have been in  a few episodes. They appeared in TNG's 'The First Duty', an that DS9 episode.

And the Defiant rocks  

Bonk

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2004, 08:08:53 am »
Perhaps it could be written into mission scripts, if the scripting API can be tricked into it? Much like Karnak has done in the beginnings of the GAW scripts for OP by using existing ship systems for other purposes, enabled by the mission script.

I am thinking of getting a copy of VC++6 now that it is affordable (i.e. old) to see if I can figure out this scripting stuff myself. If there is hope of adding seeking weapons, t-bombs, fighters and EW back into the game this way, I may just dig out my severely underutilised copy of SFC3. That will take a lot of time but I do want to try it out sometime...

(p.s.: Does the SFC3 scripting API use VC++6 like OP or does one need a newer (more expensive) version of VC++?)  

Magnum357

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2004, 11:32:16 pm »
Are you nuts dude!!!  Do you realize how tough it is too crack source codes?  Not impossible, but you have too be one damn good programmer too do it.  Also, I'm not sure if Taldren would like the idea hacking into their source codes.  I suppose Taldren would not mind if you did it for free, but if you cracked the source code I'm sure Taldren and Activision would be very unhappy as its their engine and they don't want anyone possibly stealing their work.  Watch your head if you do accomplish this very difficult goal.

As for what language, I would guess SFC3 might have been built in VC++6, but its very possible that they used VC++.net.  If they used the latter, VC++6 would be almost useless too you.  

P.S.  Just for the record, I prefer VC++6 and VB6 over the .net languages.  The old languages take only a fraction of the resources and you can do most of the same stuff anyways.  

Corbomite

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2004, 10:19:47 am »
OK people, its canon! A cannon is something you shoot at someone.

Corbo the spell checker.    

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2004, 11:49:50 am »
Quote:

Quote:

you dont know how bad i wanted tbombs

Yeah, too bad they dumped Star Fleet Battles......ain't it Nanner.  

ROFLMAO!

Bonk

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2004, 12:15:58 pm »
Quote:

Are you nuts dude!!!  Do you realize how tough it is too crack source codes?  Not impossible, but you have too be one damn good programmer too do it.  Also, I'm not sure if Taldren would like the idea hacking into their source codes.  I suppose Taldren would not mind if you did it for free, but if you cracked the source code I'm sure Taldren and Activision would be very unhappy as its their engine and they don't want anyone possibly stealing their work.  Watch your head if you do accomplish this very difficult goal.

As for what language, I would guess SFC3 might have been built in VC++6, but its very possible that they used VC++.net.  If they used the latter, VC++6 would be almost useless too you.  

P.S.  Just for the record, I prefer VC++6 and VB6 over the .net languages.  The old languages take only a fraction of the resources and you can do most of the same stuff anyways.    

That is not what I am suggesting... you know the scripting API that comes with the game? The one they want you to use to write scripts with? That is what I'm talking about - which requires little if any reverse engineering to use. That is how to add these features cleverly. Check out Karnak's prototype GAW  for OP mission as an example. (DisDev + Web) Sorry if I was ambiguous, it seems you have misunderstood.

P.S. Thanks for correcting people on the "canon" issue Corbomite, it drives me nuts too!  

Edit: I think Pelican or Karnak would know if these kind of tricks can be pulled with the SFC3 scripting API as well... (and whether its VC++6 or not...)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:25:26 pm by Bonk »