Topic: possable arrest of person responseable for the sasser worm *DELETED*  (Read 2010 times)

Khalee

Post deleted by Khalee
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khalee »

Praxis

Re: possable arrest of person responseable for the sasser worm
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 09:29:25 am »
Death's that could happen?  Aren't you exaggurating a little?  Worst that can happen is that businesses lose a lot of money for computer maintenence, in which case they can sue this guy for a couple million.  If everyone who's been infected by the Sasser virus could sue this guy at once, he'd be done for

To tell the truth, I don't have much to worry about these viruses.  Maybe a little worry, since I have a Windows PC, but the fact that I have a Mac changes all that

Email with a virus?  Open it with the Mac, nothing happens.

I want to download something but I'm worried it may be a virus?  Download it on the Mac.

But people who write serious viruses like these should be shot, lol.  I don't mind little viruses, like SubSeven, that require someone to run the virus manually (Therefore only infecting stupid people), don't really damamge the computer (more useful for a prank such as flipping someone's screen upside down), and are only sent to the specific people the virus author sends them to, but self-replicating viruses that duplicate themselves and email themselves every where deserve to be eradicated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Praxis »

Toasty0

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 09:51:23 am »

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:11 am »
Quote:

Death's that could happen?  Aren't you exaggurating a little?  Worst that can happen is that businesses lose a lot of money for computer maintenence, in which case they can sue this guy for a couple million.  If everyone who's been infected by the Sasser virus could sue this guy at once, he'd be done for

Perhaps deaths are not an exaggeration.

Quote:

Worm brings down coastguard PCs

Coastguard stations around the UK have been severely disrupted after a computer worm brought down IT systems.

The Sasser worm has hit all 19 coastguard stations and the service's main headquarters, leaving staff reliant on paper maps and pens.

A UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokeswoman said search and rescue operations were not affected and there was no danger to the public.

British airways flights have also been delayed and BA call centres shut down.  

They say rescue operations are not affected.  But they are reduced to using paper maps rather than the computerized system they normally use.  The fax systems and telex are out as well, so they have lost two forms of communictions that they are accustomed to use.  So do you really think that they are as efficient as normal?  In rescue situations any handicap can cause deaths.

How many other emergency services worldwide use computers and could be affected?  Ambulances?  Fire Departments?  Police?

From the same article:
Quote:

Two Hong Kong government departments and some hospitals on the island were hit by Sasser.

In Australia, Railcorp trains were halted apparently because a computer problem disrupted the radio systems and stopped drivers talking to signalmen.

Hospitals affected?  How they don't say.  But would you want to be going in for emergency treatment and have your medical records unavailable so that they can't know what medications might KILL you?  There are several that they can't use on my mother for example.  

Trains that can't communicate with signal men?  Ever heard of train derailments and deaths from them?  

Khalee

possable arrest of person responseable for the sasser worm *DELETED*
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 08:08:39 am »
Post deleted by Khalee

Praxis

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 09:29:25 am »

To tell the truth, I don't have much to worry about these viruses.  Maybe a little worry, since I have a Windows PC, but the fact that I have a Mac changes all that

I want to download something but I'm worried it may be a virus?  Download it on the Mac.

But people who write serious viruses like these should be shot, lol.  I don't mind little viruses, like SubSeven, that require someone to run the virus manually (Therefore only infecting stupid people), don't really damamge the computer (more useful for a prank such as flipping someone's screen upside down), and are only sent to the specific people the virus author sends them to, but self-replicating viruses that duplicate themselves and email themselves every where deserve to be eradicated.

Toasty0

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 09:51:23 am »

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Coastguard stations around the UK have been severely disrupted after a computer worm brought down IT systems.

The Sasser worm has hit all 19 coastguard stations and the service's main headquarters, leaving staff reliant on paper maps and pens.

A UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokeswoman said search and rescue operations were not affected and there was no danger to the public.

They say rescue operations are not affected.  But they are reduced to using paper maps rather than the computerized system they normally use.  The fax systems and telex are out as well, so they have lost two forms of communictions that they are accustomed to use.  So do you really think that they are as efficient as normal?  In rescue situations any handicap can cause deaths.

How many other emergency services worldwide use computers and could be affected?  Ambulances?  Fire Departments?  Police?

From the same article:
Quote:

Two Hong Kong government departments and some hospitals on the island were hit by Sasser.

In Australia, Railcorp trains were halted apparently because a computer problem disrupted the radio systems and stopped drivers talking to signalmen.

Hospitals affected?  How they don't say.  But would you want to be going in for emergency treatment and have your medical records unavailable so that they can't know what medications might KILL you?  There are several that they can't use on my mother for example.  

Trains that can't communicate with signal men?  Ever heard of train derailments and deaths from them?  

Khalee

possable arrest of person responseable for the sasser worm *DELETED*
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 08:08:39 am »
Post deleted by Khalee

Praxis

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 09:29:25 am »

Toasty0

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 09:51:23 am »

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

From the same article:
Quote: