Topic: Why there will never be an SFC4  (Read 20409 times)

Bonk

Re: Why there will never be an SFC4
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2004, 12:36:31 am »

Quote:

What is Cdilla, Bonk?

Cdilla is a licensing system that "phones home" too much for my taste.
Some consider it Spyware, some don't.  

Apps that use Cdilla or its descendents that I know of:

Turbotax
3DSmax4
3DSmax5
3DSmax6

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/readingroom/cdilla.asp
http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/10352.html

I consider its behaviour unacceptable and I will not use products that are controlled by it.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bonk »

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2004, 09:05:42 am »
Quote:

Keep those links coming, that site looks rather good...

Merlin  

It's a bit more than that, since the first game of the series was CGW's wargame of the year in either 2000 or 2001. Like SFC the basic game engine is now slightly dated, but the  results are still quite excellent.

FireSoul

« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2004, 10:20:58 am »
Quote:

*Electronic warfare/Scout functions (I don't even want the SWAC, ECM drone etc., just make Scouts work.)
*Plasma Bolt
*More detailed Fleet Control. (the SFC2 interface is good, but missing some of the orders that are possible in SFC1 and 3)
*(and Andro + Tholians of course)
is enough.

I'd like to add a few things.. Must Haves in my opinion since the Kzinti/Mirak are really not up to their full potential without this.. I did put some thought into this, and here's how I would do it..

* Drone Construction, special drones
- I'm sure the spacedock could have a section dedicated on building drones and stashing them in the droneracks in a specific way. This would require an enhancement to the way the game talks to the DB since special drones need to be stashed in either cargo boxes on the ship, or within the normal racks.
- I know that there's still room for one more tab icon in the weapons panel that could be used for selecting which drones to fire next from the droneracks on the ship.
- Of course, coding the special drones would be in order... such as the ECM drones, and the (teehee) phaser drones..

* Fix some of the API..

The API has a few key broken this.
1- we can't get the year of the scenario. This sucks since the year could be used to double-check ships to have in-mission. Would also be nice to find hex location, name of players, etc.
2- we need a working mSetDrones
3- we need a better mSetFighters. Right now, it sets all bays all fighters to a single type
4- We need a mGetShuttles, mSetShuttles and mGetFighters
5- etc?

RazalYllib

« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2004, 12:21:27 pm »
My chime in...

With the new tech that has been introduced post op, it would be far more practical to start from scratch.  It would still look and feel and play the same, but the code would be new to reflect the overall increase in programming technology since the original code was written.  I am sure things could be done better.  Perhaps even well enough to break the 6 player limit in multiplayer.  I predict SFC is not by any means extinct, it just going to take time, decade + or more.  All good things in all good time.

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2004, 01:22:28 pm »
I'm not sure I like that idea...that sounds suspiciously like make a Ultimate Gaming Machine Only request, and that would take it out of the reach of a lot of SFC fans(like me).

I'm probably missing something, but this doesn't feel right. If there is new technology, why can't we take advantage of it now, while at the same time providing a way for older computers to play the same title? Or would that be like making two games at once?

Merlin  

« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2004, 01:35:02 pm »
   Merlin you and I registered around the same time.I wasn't aware of this were you and about a week a part from each other.I never realized that before untill I looked at your reg. date.

Sig is by Pestalence  

J. Carney

« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2004, 02:37:22 pm »
Athalon 64 3200+
Radion  9600 Pro
1 GB Ram
80GB 10,000 RPM HD
DVD/CDR Burnner
5.1 Surround Sound

$1400.00 including shipping.

You just gotta build it oyurself... it's not that hard to do.

Crimmy

« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2004, 03:08:21 pm »
Quote:

Athalon 64 3200+
Radion  9600 Pro
1 GB Ram
80GB 10,000 RPM HD
DVD/CDR Burnner
5.1 Surround Sound

It IS when you have a roof to keep over your head....and old lady to keep off your back...and three kids to feed...etc etc...

Not everyone has $1400 to throw into a glorified nintendo.....most of us have to make do with older stuff and tweak it to keep it working.

TOCXOBearslayer

« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2004, 04:44:30 pm »
Quote:

Athalon 64 3200+
Radion  9600 Pro
1 GB Ram
80GB 10,000 RPM HD
DVD/CDR Burnner
5.1 Surround Sound

Man, you got ripped off...  

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz
1GB ram
Combined 240 GB (1 80 & 1 160) 7500 HDs
DVD Burner (kept DVD-Rom from older computer)
SB Audigy 2ZS
Radeon 9600 XT with 256MB RAM

Of course, I took about 6 months to collect all the parts when they were on sale.  But I built it for a tad under $800 spending $50-150 a pop...

J. Carney

« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2004, 05:27:10 pm »
Yeah, well, like I said, shipping was included in that price and I didn't have several months to string it out... I bought this all the day I got my boots off upon returning to Alabama. Total for the parts was about $1200, the rest was shipping and $100 to my buddy who helped me build it.

PS- do't remember now cause I threa away the box, but my 9600 has the 256MB of ram and the TV tuner (didn't need but got anyway). I might have quoted a lower price piece.

AJTK

« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2004, 06:18:03 pm »
I dont want to get banned, AGAIN, so I will keep my opinions to myself. Odd to see a moderator defend a blatant troll however.

And then proceed to expand upon the prior post, all the while admonishing any SFB'ers who might respond to the post that attacked US in the first place.

One good thing about SFC3, and 762 KNOWS whats comin...

RE-VER-SE!!!

HAND! (of Bethke)

red_green

« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2004, 11:10:06 pm »
There are trolls in this forum?  Thanks for the heads up.  

Crimmy

« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2004, 12:06:30 am »

AJTK

« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2004, 04:29:22 am »
Quote:

I have come to realize that many SFBers think SFC3 sucks. Thats jolly but I got sick of reading it. Then I started to wonder why they feel that way. Well it seems to me that the best analogy I could come up with. is comparing SFB to chess.
See in chess you never change an rules ever. SFBers are set in there ways from playing the game the same way for 30 years that any slight deviation is percieved by them to be blasphomy.

What I find even more annoying about SFB players is the clicks they have. They d/l ships people make , d/l missions people write. d/l mods people put together and then they won't allow you into there navy or use there logo or whatever.
Isn't this great for promoting there precious game?    Plus they would rather fly a ship designed 30 years ago that looks like a box and is made of cardboard.  

This last behavior reminds me of a line from Bob Dylan which I disremember atm.

All this flys in the face of a more typical Sci-Fi fan who is flexible with adapting new hypothetical Sci-fi techno babble and see races and ships keep evolving.  SFBers are too small in numbers to support an SFC4 game alone. 6000-10000 copies sold would'nt be enough to make the game. So it would have to draw on another type of audiance as well.

So SFBers get over it. I like SFC3 a lot, so bugger off with your whining about it and just break out your 30 year old board game.  

"There are trolls in this forum? Thanks for the heads up."

LOOK! Theres one NOW!  

HAND!    

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2004, 03:01:37 pm »
Exactly, $1400 isn't something I can drop on a dime. Not to mention mum is happy with an ancient 200 Mhz laptop.

Granted, I'm on 700 Mhz, so I can't preach much.

I have seen parts for very cheap, but other things demand the money, like food and rent. I probably could build it(I've fixed many parts on the comp I have right now...modems...hard drives...etc.).

Trust me, I'd love to have your comp. I just can't afford it.

Merlin  

J. Carney

« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2004, 04:00:46 pm »
LOL... yeah, I know about money being a pro.

THe only reason I  had the dough is that Uncle Sammy wouldn't let me go anywhere to spend it for a year.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2004, 05:12:16 pm »
Quote:

LOL... yeah, I know about money being a pro.

THe only reason I  had the dough is that Uncle Sammy wouldn't let me go anywhere to spend it for a year.  

God - I hated that....

"*#$@!! when are we finallly going to pull into port?"

"Why do you care? Think about  all the money you're saving!"

This is the point where I resort to physical violence against the person who said that.

J. Carney

« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2004, 06:09:04 pm »
Yeah... sure I got a new truck and a kick-@$$ box out of the deal, but was that really wortha year of not being able to go out and find some impresionable young freshman and take her home for a night's worth of good old fashioned corupting? Edit: though I am now getting old enough I have to chase post-grads.

You make the call!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:11:27 pm by J. Carney »

Merlinfmct87

« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2004, 06:55:08 pm »
Quote:

Yeah... sure I got a new truck and a kick-@$$ box out of the deal, but was that really wortha year of not being able to go out and find some impresionable young freshman and take her home for a night's worth of good old fashioned corupting? Edit: though I am now getting old enough I have to chase post-grads.

You make the call!  

There's a side of the military that they don't tell the recruiters about...  

Tulwar

« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2004, 07:41:47 pm »
You know a topic like this always descends into SFC I, II, OP vs. IV.  Being an old SFBer, I was terrified that SFC IV might be good and depart from the SFB rules.  What I did not expect was a lack of quality.  The campaigns were brilliant, but the finish of the game, music, voice-overs, and such were so poor that I felt the game was slap in the face.  It never ran on my computer.  The fact that it departed from SFB, was merely a dissapointment.  The low quality standard for SFC IV made me angry.  Very angry, indeed.

Please, don't confuse my feeling toward SFC IV as merely being that it isn't a continuation along the lines of the earlier products.  I feel it was so poorly executed that it should not have been released.  Yes, I have gone on rants about the SFC IV, but not because it isn't SFB.

There will be an SFC GAW, I just don't know if it will be in my lifetime.