Topic: Modding the stock ships in the game  (Read 2330 times)

WraithFSC

Modding the stock ships in the game
« on: June 05, 2004, 07:05:40 pm »
Hi there,
  I would like to add hardpoints to some of the stock ships in the game. I would like to add shields to the stock shuttle and I would like to add phaser and/two photon/quantum torpedo launchers to the stock Sovereign. I think that you have to change the weapon space number and you have to add the hardpoints in the default load out in specs. When I did this with the Sovereign, it completely disappeared! Does anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.  

Praxis

Re: Modding the stock ships in the game
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 09:52:50 am »
Quote:

Hi there,
  I would like to add hardpoints to some of the stock ships in the game. I would like to add shields to the stock shuttle and I would like to add phaser and/two photon/quantum torpedo launchers to the stock Sovereign. I think that you have to change the weapon space number and you have to add the hardpoints in the default load out in specs. When I did this with the Sovereign, it completely disappeared! Does anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.  

First of all, check InvalidShips.txt in the sfc3 folder.  It'll tell you what ships aren't working, and what is wrong with them.

To add weapon spaces, you usually have to:

1) Increase the weapons mass in the default core so there is room
2) Add the hardpoint and it's firing arc in the Default Core as either a primary or heavy weapon
3) Add the weapon in the Default Load Out.

For shields to the default shuttle, go into DefaultCore and add some shield space, then add shields in the defaultloadout.

WraithFSC

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:48:58 pm »
Hi there Praxis,
  I've been really busy taking finals, so I haven't had the chance to respond until now. Thanks for the info. It worked! My next question, is how do I line up the had points to make them nice and neat (i.e. to place them where I want on the diagram)? Also, how do I make my characters start off as legendary? I would like to use the names from the Bridge Commander game. How would I do this? Thanks in advance.

Ian  

MarianoDT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 02:21:38 pm »
Quote:

Hi there Praxis,
  I've been really busy taking finals, so I haven't had the chance to respond until now. Thanks for the info. It worked! My next question, is how do I line up the had points to make them nice and neat (i.e. to place them where I want on the diagram)? Also, how do I make my characters start off as legendary? I would like to use the names from the Bridge Commander game. How would I do this? Thanks in advance.

Ian  

Use the Hardpoint editor to edit the .gf files.
You can get it in a lot of places. A d/l link is:
http://sfhq.net/sfhq/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=30#cat

With this utility you modify the GUI location of the weapon (seen in the tactical interface and the refit utility), not the in-game model place where the weapon comes from. To do that you must modify the hardpoint in the 3d mesh. (you will need a 3d program)

I don't remember right now where the names are located. There is a .txt file somewhere. I'll see if I can find it later.
As for the Legendary, you must change the defaultloadout entry for each ship. There is a special place for the officers.

Hope this helps.

Mariano

TFOmega

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 02:59:51 pm »
why would anyone still want to mod their ship.. although, they could have created better skins

WraithFSC

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 06:16:10 pm »
  Why wouldn't you want to mod your ship? You take a stock item and make it better. That sounds like "Hey Jude", I know.
It's intriguing to me to be able to do so. I wish that there were new skins with the registries attached, but alas, I think that I may have to make them myself.