Topic: BTw It's been 30 years, time to go again...  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
BTw It's been 30 years, time to go again...
« on: July 21, 2004, 12:03:20 am »
To the Moon Baby to the moon.

God Bless Apollo 11.

Can't Believe I forgot this today.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
Re: BTw It's been 30 years, time to go again...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 12:08:57 am »
35 actually. But who's counting right? lol

It's amazing we only went the once or twice. We don't even have a vessell capable of doing it now.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:26:36 am »
I agree, I hope we give it another shot.  But the world is a different place.  When Kennedy proposed going to the moon it was taken as a challenge.  When Bush made the same proposal it was looked on as a very large bill. 

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 12:31:36 am »
Cant go to the moon when they are doing this.

US panel backs space budget cut

The proposed cuts could limit President Bush's plans for manned missions to the Moon and Mars
A US House of Representatives panel has voted to cut the money given to fund space, environment and science programmes for next year.
Some was allocated instead to boost war veterans' health care by $2bn.

Correspondents say the cut is a stark example of budget pressures faced by a Republican-run Congress. Democrats said spending limits were too tight.

The move comes on the 35th anniversary of the day that Neil Armstrong took man's first steps on the Moon.

The astronaut and his Apollo 11 crew members, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, gathered in Washington to celebrate their 1969 landing.

'Brutally fair'

The BBC's Barnie Choudhury in Washington says the allocation of funds shows Congress' determination to provide cash at a time of war.

"The choices have been brutally fair," said James Walsh, chief author of the measures.

But some Democrats on the panel complained about the spending limits Republicans have voted to impose on Congress.

"This year I think it's going to be very clear it's becoming excruciating, if not unacceptable," said Alan Mollohan, a top Democrat on the subcommittee.

The measures will have to be supported by a full House and the Senate before US President George W Bush could approve it.

Just $372m was provided out of the $910m Mr Bush wanted for initial preparations for manned missions to the Moon and Mars.

Nasa's human space flight programme has been grounded since the shuttle Columbia disintegrated in February 2003, killing seven astronauts.

In January, President Bush said astronauts will be back on the Moon by 2020, and will establish a lunar base to prepare for human exploration of Mars.

Offline Gambler

• Lt. Commander
  • Don't bet on it
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 07:16:34 am »
It's sad how little news coverage this event received.  I caught a small blurb as I was going to bed last night.
I'm a Man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess

WWJKD - What Would Jim Kirk Do

I thank God I grew up in an age when a kid could still play with things that could put his eye out.

Offline Abfalter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:34:37 am »
Cant go to the moon when they are doing this.

US panel backs space budget cut

The proposed cuts could limit President Bush's plans for manned missions to the Moon and Mars
A US House of Representatives panel has voted to cut the money given to fund space, environment and science programmes for next year.
Some was allocated instead to boost war veterans' health care by $2bn.

Correspondents say the cut is a stark example of budget pressures faced by a Republican-run Congress. Democrats said spending limits were too tight.

The move comes on the 35th anniversary of the day that Neil Armstrong took man's first steps on the Moon.

The astronaut and his Apollo 11 crew members, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, gathered in Washington to celebrate their 1969 landing.

'Brutally fair'

The BBC's Barnie Choudhury in Washington says the allocation of funds shows Congress' determination to provide cash at a time of war.

"The choices have been brutally fair," said James Walsh, chief author of the measures.

But some Democrats on the panel complained about the spending limits Republicans have voted to impose on Congress.

"This year I think it's going to be very clear it's becoming excruciating, if not unacceptable," said Alan Mollohan, a top Democrat on the subcommittee.

The measures will have to be supported by a full House and the Senate before US President George W Bush could approve it.

Just $372m was provided out of the $910m Mr Bush wanted for initial preparations for manned missions to the Moon and Mars.

Nasa's human space flight programme has been grounded since the shuttle Columbia disintegrated in February 2003, killing seven astronauts.

In January, President Bush said astronauts will be back on the Moon by 2020, and will establish a lunar base to prepare for human exploration of Mars.

Yeah, I was disgusted by this.  This effectively kills any Mars/Moon manned misssions.  We're too busy blowing each other up to be bothered with doing things that actually move the progress of humanity forward....

==========================
  Let us never forgot our gracious former 
  hosts at the Taldren Forums                 
==========================

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 08:42:48 am »
My name is Neil Armstrong, so i've been getting comments etc for the last week (actually getting MORE comments than usuall).I'm used to it, but it gets a bit much.......moer coverage is needed though.
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.