Topic: Anyone play Hearts of Iron?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
Anyone play Hearts of Iron?
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:46:26 pm »
Just wondered. I resurrected this game and installed the new (Feb) patch. So far I'm playing the U.S. and I find it much improved.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline interloper

• DAZED AND CONFUSED, SNAFU
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • mines are loaded and the motor is redlined
Re: Anyone play Hearts of Iron?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 02:32:19 pm »
I love that game, haven't played it since Nov though gotta give it
a try again, thanks.
Remembering U of I #40, Always in our hearts and minds
"don't think you understand what I told you until I tell you what you understand! Do you understand what I am saying?"
OF ALL THINGS LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.......    ?

"What is the vector victor?"
"Rodger, roger."
"I picked a helluva day to quit drinking"

ITS ALL MIND OVER MATTER, IF YOU DON'T MIND IT DON'T MATTER

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 02:34:49 pm »
I used to have that game, But for the life of me I don't know what happened to It.  My Son Nathan might have It though.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 03:07:01 pm »
You guys might be interested in checking out the AAR so far for my current American Campaign,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 1936: President Franklin D. Roosevelt announces Three-year economic expansion plan. Austria accepted Germany's demands and ceded Munich and parts of northwest Austria but refuses to give in to German demands for all of Austria to be incorporated into the Reich.

March 1936: Germany reoccupies the Rhineland.

April 1936: ASDIC deployed by the US. The Aircraft Carrier USS Yorktown is commissioned.

July 1936: Tensions between the Chinese Communists and Nationalists increase. Italy annexes Ethiopia. Nationalist Spain declares independence from Republican Spain. Republican Spain declares war upon Nationalist Spain. Germany declares support for Nationalist Forces while the Soviet Union pledges it?s support for the Republicans. Italy follows Germany in its pledging men and material to the Nationalist cause in Spain.

October 1936: Nationalist Spain defeats Republican Spain ending the Spanish Civil War. The new Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise is commissioned.

November 1936: U.S. Presidential Elections, President Franklin D Roosevelt re-elected.

January 1937: Communist China refused Nationalist demands to recognize Nationalists as legitimate government of all China.

March 1937: Stalin begins a series of purges directed at the armed forces officer corps of the Soviet Union.

May 1937: Sino/Japanese War begins. Japan declares war on Communists in China and demands access through Chinese territory. Nationalists Chinese refuse and the Japanese declare war on the Nationalists.

July 1937: Japan commits atrocities in what will become known as the Nanking Massacre. U.S. condemns Japanese actions in China.

August 1937: The 2nd USAF Strategic Bombardment Wing becomes the first USAAF unit to be equipped with the new B-17 Long-Range Strategic Bomber.

March 1938: The Anschuss occurs in Austria. Austria becomes part of the Greater Reich.

September 30, 1938: Treaty of Munich signed. Czechoslovakia cedes Sudentenland to Germany.

February 1939:  First P-40 Fighters delivered to USAAF fighter squadrons.

March 1939:  Germany backs deposed Slovakian independence leader Tiso. Tiso declares Slovakia an independent state under German ?protection?. Czechoslovakia accepts German demands for Slovakian independence. Slovakia becomes German puppet state. Ruthenia is occupied and annexed by Hungary. Lithuania gives in to German demands to cede the district of Memel. German troops occupy Memel. Great Britain declares it?s support for an independent Poland, but fearing war, declines Poland?s request for military assistance should war break out with Germany. First Dauntless Dive Bombers are delivered to USN squadrons.

May 1939: Penicillin developed in the U.S. Blood transfusions becomes common medical practice.

August 1939: Germany proposes secret Molotov-Ribbentrop ?non-aggression? Pact and declares intent to invade Poland sometime in the near future. The pact establishes Eastern Poland, North-Eastern Baltic states and Finland as under the Soviet Unions sphere of influence. The Germans rebuff a Soviet counter offer of full alliance, but the pact is accepted. Germany?s plans for Poland are uncovered. In response, France, United Kingdom and the Commonwealth declare war upon Germany.

August 30, 1939: Germany demands Poland return Danzig to Germany. Poland refuses. Germany declares war on Poland.

September 1939: Hungary and Bulgaria sign Military Alliances with Germany. Latvia accepts Stalins territorial demands and cedes Rezekne, Riga, Liepaja and Daugavpils to the USSR. Lithuania refuses to give in to Soviet Union's territorial demands. First Wildcat Fighters deployed in USN fighter squadrons.

October 1939: Soviet Union declares war upon Lithuania on October 1st by the end of the month Lithuania falls. United Kingdom and France declare Military Alliance with Poland on Oct 20th. Poland surrenders the next day. The Soviet Union demands territory from Romania. Soviet troops occupy Eastern Poland in accordance with Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

November 1939: Soviet Union presses claims on Finnish territory. Finland rejects Soviet demands. USSR declares war on Finland on the 16th. Sweden pledges support of volunteers and material aid to assist Finland in war with USSR. Belgium, Luxemborg and the Netherlands enter into Military Alliance with United Kingdom and France. Furious Hitler declares war on Belgium, Luxemborg and the Netherlands. Yugoslavia signs Military Alliance with Germany, Slovakia, Hungary and Bulgaria. German troops take Luxemburg.

December 1939: Italy joins Axis powers in a Military Alliance. In a surprise move encouraged by Britain and France, Yugoslavia leaves Military Alliance with Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Italy and decides to join Allies. Hitler promises that German retribution for the ?Slavian? Treachery will be swift and deadly.

January, 1940 : U.S. President Roosevelt requests reinstitution of draft due to uncertain Japanese situation in China and the War in Europe. Congress passes 1940 Security Act. A massive increase of 60 Divisions, including National Guard is slated for 1940.

March 1940: The ?Phony War? ends when Germans resume offensive in France. German, Hungarian and Italians begin Yugoslavian offensive.

June 1940: Paris falls to German troops. French government flees to Vichy. Germany offers to halt hostilities in return of the installment of a new pro-German government in Vichy. In return Vichy France would be allowed to continue to hold French overseas possessions and most of southern France. The French government responds with distain and vows to fight to the last rather than cooperate with German ?animals?.

June 1940: Roosevelt asks for oil embargo to be initiated against Japan in retaliation for Japanese atrocities in China. Japanese respond with outrage.

July 1940: British launch a series of successful offensives in North Africa against the Italians.

September 1940: The last French troops in Europe surrender in Colmar. Germany now occupies all of mainland France. The French government in exile in Morocco vows to fight on from the colonies.

December 1940: Yugoslavia falls. Remainder of Yugoslavia divided between Italy, Hungary and Bulgaria.

January 1941: French troops from North Africa successfully land in Marseilles in Southern France on the 17th. United Kingdom and Germany contest for control of the English Channel. Encouraged by Soviet threats toward Romanian territory. Romania signs Military Alliance with Germany.

February 1941: Supported by British Navy and RAF, France repulses German counterattack at Marseilles. Italian navy routed by Royal Navy in Straits of Sicily.

March 1941: The 5th US Marine Division, the first of the reformed Marine Corps divisions is deployed in California. 12 infantry divisions are slated to fill the ranks of the new Corps under the command of General Stillwell. Congress passes the Lend-Lease Act. Supplies and war material shipments to England and France begin.

May 1941: MacArthur?s 2nd U.S. Army Corps arrives in Manila. Roosevelt hopes that such a forward placement of 12 divisions will discourage Japanese aggression or allow such troops respond quickly should hostilities with Japan commence. It is to be joined in September by the 4th U.S. Army Corps .

June 1941: After a hard fought six month campaign in which Marseille trades hands several times, German troops occupy and hold the Southern French city in the face of continued counteracts. The British and French lose their only port in mainland Europe. Battle for the Channel ends with Royal Navy in command of the English Channel.

July 1941: US deploys first of new Radar installations.

August 1941: The Pacific Submarine Fleet, mostly made up of elderly type S boats, is stationed at Laoag on the northern point of the Phillipines. It is hoped that they should be in a better position to disrupt Japanese shipping from there should war break out with Japan.

January 1942: 1st US Army Corps under General Eisenhower arrives in England. Although not formally military allies, the deployment is in accordance with the overall U.S. Strategy of immediate offensive operations in case of war with Germany and/or Japan. 1st Army is to be joined by 3rd Army Corps under General Bradley in March.

March 4, 1942: Japan declares war on the United States.

March 1942: Japanese submarines begin unrestricted submarine warfare against American shipping in the Pacific concentrating on supplies intended for the Phillipines.
Macarthur?s 4th and 2nd U.S. Army Corps are landed at Haiphong in French Indochina and pivot to attack Japanese forces in South Eastern China. Carrier Division 1 made up of Lexington and Saratoga redeploy to the Pacific. Guam falls to the Japanese on the 12th. On the 20th, U.S. Navy Scout Division 4 and the Pacific Submarine fleet stationed at Laoag covering Macarthurs withdrawing transport fleet successfully drive off Japanese naval forces. Scout Division 4 is attacked again three days later in the Battle of the Sulu Sea. Japanese inflict heavy losses sinking three cruisers and all the accompanying destroyers. The two remaining damaged cruisers withdraw to Pearl along with the battered remnants of the U.S. Pacific Submarine Fleet. Japanese follow up by landing two divisions in the Southern Phillipines. The U.S. Marine Corps accompanied by the bulk of the U.S. Navy and supporting U.S. Army forces, begin operations in the Marshall Islands, first landing unopposed in Taongi on the 29th.

April 1942: The U.S. Marine Corps secure the Marshall Islands. Driving Northward Japanese troops take Manila after brief battle with the U.S. Division stationed there. Outnumbered, the U.S. Division retreats north to link up with elements the Phillipine Army. The U.S. Navy and the Japanese Navy begin to engage in a series of battles and skirmishes for control of the waters of the Marshall Island Group. Japanese heavy naval units intercept Halsey?s Carrier Division 2 on April 12th, in the Battle of the Bikar Sea, sinking carrier Yorktown for the loss of the Battleship Ise. On the 27th carrier and land-based planes engage in a week long series of air battles and naval skirmishes off Palikir but are beaten off by overwhelming American forces including the entire American Battleship Fleet U.S. carriers Enterprise and the recently redeployed Lexington and Saratoga. Japanese troops successfully defend against Macarthur?s offensive in China.

May 1942: The main bodies of the Japanese and U.S. Fleets engage in Battle of Eniwetok near the Marshall Islands. The new U.S. Battleships South Dakota, Indiana, and Alabama are sunk. In return the Japanese lose carriers Ryujo and Akagi and the Battleship Mutsu. The Japanese Battleship Nagato is heavily damaged and limps back to Truk with the remainder of the Japanese Fleet, leaving the U.S. Navy still in control of the seas around the Marshall Islands. U.S. Marine Forces retake the U.S. base at Guam. Venezuela joins the alliance of Britain and France against Germany.

June 1942: US Marines land at Cagyan de Oro to relieve General Franciso?s three hard pressed and exhausted divisions in the Southern Phillipines, forcing the Japanese to retreat. The U.S. Pacific Fleet arrives at Leyte and begins landing operations at Calbayog and retaking Manila. Japanese forces attacking the bulk of the Phillipine Army to the North are now surrounded with 11 Divisions of General Bedell-Smith?s 7th Army Corp to its rear. Transports reinforcing Japanese forces in the Phillipines suffer heavy losses to blockading U.S. Naval units. In a desperate gamble, 2 Japanese divisions and a piecemeal Japanese naval force including the heavily damaged Battleship Nagato, attack U.S. Army forces garrisoning the Marshall Islands and retake the main islands on the 17th. On the 27th U.S. Marines land, retake the islands and the battleship Nagato is sunk by land based naval aircraft.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

762_XC

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:14:29 pm »
Tell me again about the part where France doesn't actually surrender.

:rofl:

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:37:41 am »
Aye, Karl and I play it over the LAN on a weekend, usually playing as Axis countries (currently Japan and Italy), using the CORE mod.
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline McGib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:53:19 am »
I really liked the game until this supply bug that came with the second last patch. Until its fixed I probably wont play it

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 10:21:13 am »
By "supply bug" I assume you mean the logisitcs distance penalty that was deliberately introduced by the designers and is not a bug. It just means you have to plan your invasions more carefully.
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline McGib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 05:40:07 am »
I call it a bug Mog because you can't seem to change a unit's supply point and you should be able to build a supply point. With the way it works now it is virtually impossible for any country to launch an attack over any substanstial distance. At one time I was able to change the supply point of my units, now I can't seem to do that.

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 06:15:34 am »
Pretty sure there are some suggestions on the HOI forum for how to deal with the logistics penalty, including (going from memory), reloading the game (which is always a good idea to do regularly, to help keep the ai active).
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline McGib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 04:50:55 pm »
Yes there is, I just havent had the time to keep up with that forum. There was a simply way to reset your supply point by making a new unit but after I loaded up the last patch it would work. I'll have to look in the forum again and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Offline TheSatyr

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 12:53:10 am »
I used to play it,but the 1.06 supply rules wrecked the game for me.

And after my experiences with Paradox games I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another one. I don't enjoy playing beta versions masquerading as "gold" versions.

Victoria was and still is a mess,HOI didn't become playable till the 1.03 patch,and they still can't seem to figure out just how they want EU2 to work.

Only game i ever bought that was worse than a Paradox game was MOO3. ::)
"As George Lucas says, the movies are Gospel, and everything else is Gossip".

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 12:45:43 pm »
Not played it since the 1.06 patch, Played online with the 1.05 patch, which I still have I think.

Found playing as Japan was"interesting"
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always