Topic: ENT runner Manny Coto spills major S4 tidbits (SPOILERS!)  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
ENT runner Manny Coto spills major S4 tidbits (SPOILERS!)
« on: July 21, 2004, 10:34:50 pm »
From Star Trek.com

Finally, we have an explanation of Brent Spiner's role, and boy is it a doozy:

We asked if he could elaborate on some of these story ideas ? especially pertaining to the recently reported guest role of Brent Spiner in three episodes. "Well, it's a very exciting arc. Brent is going to play an ancestor of Dr. Soong, the creator of Data. However, this character is more of a Dr. Frankenstein. He is not a benign individual. He has brought to life 20 embryos from the Eugenics era. So you have Soong who's leading a band of Khan Noonien Singh's, so to speak. He believes that genetic engineering was on the right track! He wants to improve humanity, and he believes that the Eugenics Wars were an aberration, that these individuals are the future of humanity. Of course he's wrong ? they get away from him. They get out of control, and it becomes this three-episode saga that's kind of like 'Apocalypse Now' ? Enterprise becomes kind of like a ship going up river, trying to find these individuals, with Soong on board."

Spiner's character will be named Arik (like "Eric") Soong. The backstory, Coto explains, begins 20 years prior to the time of Enterprise (presumably 2134), when Soong stole the 20 embryos which were secretly stored in a Starfleet facility, and brought them to term. Arik Soong is a notorious criminal, and Coto even compared him to Hannibal Lecter ? "He's tried to escape many times, and he's feared, because Earth is still terrified of anything having to do with the Eugenics Wars." But his help is essential in tracking down the renegade "genetic supermen" who could ignite a war with the Klingons.

And Orions!

The adventure leads the ship to the "Borderland," which is an area of space between the Klingon Empire and the Orion Syndicate. This will be the first encounter with the Orions, and we will get to see the green "slave women" introduced in "The Cage."

That and the second coming of Surak, perhaps?  I like this guy.  He's actually sane.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: ENT runner Manny Coto spills major S4 tidbits (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:47:21 pm »
When I read he wa on the Odessy 5 Series, I knew I'd like Him.

Surak Luther King, Give me a Hell Yeah. :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:53:18 pm »
There is another three-episode story arc being planned for later in the season that Coto is tremendously enthused about, one that deals with a civil war on planet Vulcan. "If you've watched Enterprise and you watched the old series and Next Gen, you know that there's a difference between the Vulcans of our era and the Vulcans of later eras. Our Vulcans lie, our Vulcans are monolithic, our Vulcans are not pacifistic. What we've done is develop an idea: What if an individual appears on Vulcan who is saying to the populace that we have strayed from the teachings of Surak? This individual is like a Martin Luther. And he spawns a Vulcan civil war."

He nicknamed it "Vulcan of Arabia" because it's an epic story taking place almost entirely on the hot, desert planet. "It involves a Vulcan Reformation," he continued. "The Vulcan High Command I'm equating with the Catholic Church, which in medieval times strayed from the teachings of Christianity; similarly, the Vulcan High Command has strayed from the teachings of Surak. This individual wants to bring us back to those teachings, but it causes instability on Vulcan because he's preaching pacifism, he's preaching pure logic, he's preaching a return to the old ways. But, he not only believes in the teachings of Surak, he believes he is Surak. He claims that he possesses Surak's katra. Is that true or isn't it? We'll find out. But what happens is, with the instability on Vulcan, you have the Andorians trying to take advantage, and it threatens to destabilize the entire region. And of course, Enterprise will be stuck in the midst of this turmoil, and by the end of this three-episode arc, we will begin to see Vulcans approaching what they were in the later eras. We'll see the beginnings of a new Vulcan."

That is probably the best concept I've ever heard of.  I only hope viewership is up this year so we can keep this guy working.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline NannerSlug

• Master of the "Magic Photon"
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • SFC3.Net
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 12:12:00 am »
and get b&b out.. they need to tinker with their own time-cop thing and leave trek alone. they have killed it enough, thank you.

this stuff does look promising, though.
"A Republican thinks every day is July 4th. A Democrat thinks every day is April 15th." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 12:16:09 am »
I agree Nanner, even though Odessy 5 dealt with Time Travel, It was a refreshing approach. To see a few of these ideas being discused and Hopefully implemented, is a Boon For any star Trek Fan.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 06:49:01 am »
Those story arcs sound great.  This could be the best season since TOS.   :thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline Crusader

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 10:43:34 am »
Those story arcs sound great.  This could be the best season since TOS.   :thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup:

It seems that Mr. Coto gets it.  Very interesting ideas.  I actually didn't roll my eyes when I read these story ideas.

Now all he needs to do is top these arcs off with the Earth Romulan War and I'll call Enterprise saved.

Also it's encouraging to see that the Paramount suits want Enterprise to go the full 7 seasons.  I believe they'll find a way to make it happen.  Going to the Friday timeslot might just work out because while most folks will "go out on the town" on Friday nights, Trek fans would actually stay home to see the show.  Moving to Friday night boosts this timeslot using the loyalty of 4 million Trek fans.  I think it's a good strategy for UPN.  This will actually boost the value of Enterprise from Paramounts perspective.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 11:29:11 am »
The adventure leads the ship to the "Borderland," which is an area of space between the Klingon Empire and the Orion Syndicate. This will be the first encounter with the Orions, and we will get to see the green "slave women" introduced in "The Cage."

Ok, I just got interested in Enterprise again!

ORION SLAVE GIRLS!!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 06:05:52 pm »
Just as a matter of historical record, a move to Friday nights killed TOS's ratings in Season 3...  granted, there were other issues in Season 3, but the move to Fridays was a major factor...
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Desty Nova

• Karmatron Dynamics Researcher
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Ships of the Starfleet Universe
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 06:30:04 pm »
As much as I hate to grudgingly admit it, those story ideas actually sound INTERESTING....

Like Javora said, normally I see a synopsis of an Enterprise episode and roll my eyes. These actually made me say 'cool'.
Visit Desty Nova's "Ships of the Starfleet Universe"!

http://members.aol.com/destynova02/myhomepage/index.html

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 03:16:10 am »
Just as a matter of historical record, a move to Friday nights killed TOS's ratings in Season 3...  granted, there were other issues in Season 3, but the move to Fridays was a major factor...

Agreed, Friday nights also helped kill Farscape, and Firefly.  I think 8:00pm Monday just before Monday Night Football would have been better.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 03:27:41 am »
I agree aswell.  I actually look at Enterprise as a different timeline, but these story arcs really do have a "connection" to Gene Star Trek that we all know.  I especially lilke his idea for the Eugenics Wars.  Granted, in TOS it said that these wars started in the 1990's, but we really don't know what scale these wars invovled and how many people where involved (I tend to think it was quite a bit).  I think Coto might be placing the Eugenics Wars torward the Mid-21st Century which actually makes much beter sense then in 1990.  Heck, for all we know the Eugenics Wars might have been what directly started the Nuclear Holocost that wiped out nearly a Billion people.  In First Contact, we are not even sure who the "Eastern Coalition" really is.  Maybe Kahn had control over these forces or something.  If this was the case, I could see why people wouldn't even want the bastards on the planet. 

anyway, I don't know if this will save Enterprise, but I think it may give the show a shot in the arm to keep it going.  Its already got my attention.   ;D

As for B & B, I agree with others.  I think they should just put these guys way in the back of the studios (some out of the way office somewhere) and just have them write their singnitures approving the episodes and that is about it for their jobs for the day. 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 03:39:25 am »
Oh, and I forgot to add that his idea for a Vulcan Civil war are interesting.  Heck, maybe this is the spark that starts the Romulan War between Earth and Romulus.  Myabe the Romulans over time have been trying to retake Vulcan by changing their beleif system and diverting them away from Surak teachings.  This of course would not be something done quickly, maybe the Romulans have been planning for a couple of centuries and have been slowly doing their plan. 

Ya, it would be tough to do a Romulan War, and the fact that TOS seemed to indicate that Vulcans and humans where shocked to find out that Romulans looked very much like Vulcans.  Maybe Enteprise could have a side arc to this, kinda like how B & B's Temperoal cold war thing was going.  On certain episodes, you would see Romulans on Vulcan having meetins and such planning their next move to keep things going the way they are suppose to go in order for Vulcan to revert back to its old way so that Romulus could annex the world for its empire.  But Earth is getting heavily involved with Vulcan affiars now, espeically with the Xindi threat eliminated and Earth having heavy connetions and relations to many nearby space faring races.  The Romulans would see earth as a threat to their plans. 

Ok, I'm speculating when we are not even sure if this is what coto really wants to do.  I guess I'm just a little more enthusiatic now.   ;D
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 08:54:18 am »
Manny Cotto is just what the show need.

At least, a writer who doesn't fall back on either 'futureboy' or a 'holodeck malfunction.'
Taldren poster known as FFZ

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 06:52:16 pm »
OK, I may have missed something, so I'll have to ask the stupid question--

Who the heck is Manny Cotto?  I'm assuming he's no relation to Vir, but that's hardly enough information.  :p  A) I'm guessing he has something to do with Enterprise now? and B) what has he done in the past?

As for Berman and Braga, they don't deserve even that much control over anything Star Trek.

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Chris SI

• Gone again
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 08:20:34 am »
He's a writer, who wrote five of the best of last season's "Enterprise" episodes.
Taldren poster known as FFZ

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 08:10:22 pm »
Oh, he's more than that...  he's the writer/director behind such cinematic masterpieces as "Dr. Giggles" and "Star Kid."   :o

Just for the record, I kid you not: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182873/

Of course, that "Odyssey 5" show was supposed to be pretty decent, so maybe there's some hope after all...  ;)

(And, just for the record, I love how the "trivia" writeup says that Brannon Braga "retired."  Yeah, if that's what you want to call it.  :p  I know that if I was schtupping Jeri Lynn Ryan, I'd be "retiring," too--cause I'd never leave the house...