Topic: XP SP2 is out: Do any SFC games go phhhtttppph???  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
XP SP2 is out: Do any SFC games go phhhtttppph???
« on: August 09, 2004, 05:58:58 pm »
Post'em here boys (and gals). The good, the bad, and...you know....

Does XP SP2 bust SFC? How do you configure the now "on-by-default" firewall? Etc.

FYI: I'm adopting my "let's first hear the screams of the early adopters" methodology.

Are you an early adopter? Did you bleep up your SFC install? Is your screen now predominantly blue?
Is you family now pissed at you cus' "you just HAD to upgrade... didn't you"?
Share your fun stories around the virtual campfire!

Death "The Curious but Upgrade-Wimpy" Merchant
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: XP SP2 is out: Do any SFC games go phhhtttppph???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 07:36:12 pm »
I have SP2 RC2 for a while now.

I have disabled the new firewall features since I have Norton Internet Security.

Aside from that, the SP2 seems to be fine. What I personally like is the new Windows Update Site design.

I've not had any problems with stability of any of my games/programs.  This includes SFC EAW and OP.

I really like the new protections in Internet Explorer against downloading things suchs as files and ActiveX programs, however I can see how that would be very confusing for the computer disinclined.

The pop-up blocking is nice too, but I do not use it since I have Norton like I said.

If you feel like peeking in the Advanced tab of the Internet Options, there are some new settings there.

Internet Explorer now alerts you about running downloaded programs (Thier publisher ect, I think too if it is a trusted program, I can't remember), of course, another nice feature, I don't use it, and it can be confusing to those not computer literate.

The Device Manager is also a little different.  You'll have to check that out to see. I like that too.

The computer now alerts you for the need of Anti-Virus software, thats wonderful.  You'd be suprised how many people still don't have any.  Once you install AV software, Windows will see that and stop bugging you about it. Does the same for Firewall if you turn off the Windows Firewall, and have no other.

I leave my computer running for long periods of time, setting it to hibernate autmatically, or sleep.  I've noticed that it remains very stable, without freezing or crashing.  No blue screens either.

I have been away from the computer for a few weeks now, out of town, and I only just installed SP2 RC2 before I left.  Those are only the things I first noticed.  So I haven't been around it enough to see much more.

My family has used it since, and they haven't complained about anything yet. So thats nice they can use it, and they are about as computer illiterate as you get.

If I notice or think of anything more, I 'll post it.

-Strat

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 01:33:05 pm »
Looks like the firewall still will not accept port ranges...  >:(
but it does accept program entries, which I haven't tried yet.

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 01:50:19 pm »
Interesting article, what it means to the average user???
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2052
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 01:57:10 pm »
Fine for home use, but may pose problems at work if you use stuff like WebSphere or Lotus Domino. (my assesment/guess, I figure IBM just needs the time to catch up...)

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 02:41:44 pm »

It will accept individual ports, open the firewall properties, go to "exceptions" and then "add port" and you can add them (also allows IP ranges)

Very clunky adding ports one by one (damned if i know why they didnt change that!) but it will work for now. You will only need it for incoming as it has no real outbound monitoring a such yet.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 02:45:51 pm »

It will accept individual ports, open the firewall properties, go to "exceptions" and then "add port" and you can add them (also allows IP ranges)

Very clunky adding ports one by one (damned if i know why they didnt change that!) but it will work for now. You will only need it for incoming as it has no real outbound monitoring a such yet.

Yeah, I knew about that. Thanks though. I gotta wonder how you're supposed to add 2300-2400, with 100 entries? No way... I don't use the firewall anyway, was just checking to see if it had improved, and depending on how the applications permissions work it may have.

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 03:21:31 pm »
lol i know what you mean, its one of the things i heard people wanting most of all to be able to enter a range - typical MS to ignore them  ::)

Thank god for routers.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 05:17:09 pm »
Is "phhhtttppph" a technical term for you Mac addicts  ?  ;D ;D ;D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 05:33:30 pm »

Stephen
Kind of....

When PC guys complain about some problem, fixing the registry, DLL conflicts, malware, viruses, driver updates busting a game...

It all sounds like "phhhtttppph" to me ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 09:19:01 am »

Stephen
Kind of....

When PC guys complain about some problem, fixing the registry, DLL conflicts, malware, viruses, driver updates busting a game...

It all sounds like "phhhtttppph" to me ;)

I've done my time with macs and FAR prefer FreeBSD 4.5 in its natural state (KDE/Gnome as opposed to the mac OS X windowing system).

Previous to mac moving over to FreeBSD, the OS barely functioned if you ask me. 50/50 floppy detection at best (the real reason they stopped trying to use them as I see it), etc... Also previous (and current macs) are virtually impossible to modify, severly inadequate hardware scalability.

And wrt to: "malware"(spyware) - any browser is vulnerable - regardless of the platform.
And wrt to: "driver updates busting a game..." - as opposed to not running it at all?  ::)

Can a mac run QNX? Can a mac run Slackware?

(P.S. I took my cranky pills today...)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 09:35:42 am by Bonk »