Topic: My musical life  (Read 955 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
My musical life
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:36:27 pm »
Some may not know this (or care), but I play music.  Yes with the CD player, et al, but also the old fashioned original way, by making it myself.
Some time ago (few years)  I bought myself a little thing called "Silent Brass" which i plug into the bell of my instrument and it sucks nearly all the sound of my instrument and feeds it back through a pair of headphones.  The next thing I got was something called smart music, which can be found at a website by that name.com, which actively listens to me as I play, and provides accompaniment for me as I play a concerto, or sonata, or something else, whatever it may be.  ver very cool.
Well, my music life these last severa lmonths has not been what I wanted it to be.  My PC has reached a point where a complete backup, reformat and reinstall was necessary now 7 times since it's purchase in July 2001.  Everytime I do this, I have to go through the process of reinstalling the program, then resetting ym smart music account so it sees my PC again.  With the new iBook, I feel that to be a thing of the past.  My iMac, which I've had for over a year, and my dad's iMac, which he's had for a couple years at least have never once had an actual crash, so I figured i'd put smart music on my lil travelling buddy, which will bring me full circle, since the first time I used this particular program (then called Vivace) it was also on a Mac.  Anyway, I'm super excited, because a new disc is on it's way for me so I can have the newest version of Smart music on my iBook, and will have a very cool option available to me for the first time ever:  the ability to have intelligent accompaniment anywhere I go, while I play as loud as I want without bothering a soul.
Anyway, just FYI.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Re: My musical life
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 06:44:40 pm »
Ahhh!!! But nothing really beats cranking up my home built Wurlitzer 250 W amp (my dad worked at the N. Tonawanda juke box plant, and could bring home the damaged amps..being into electronics, I'd fix them)(and I can still get the tubes)...now that the kids are gone, when the wife is out of the house, I can misbehave  :o

I tend to use my recently acquired Eko six string electric  (I haven't found a site with the style name, but I think it's a Japanese rip-off, 'cause it looks suspiciously like a Japanese Epiphone) or my 1968 Eko Cobra 12 string.  My Horugel hollowbody is being set-up right now by a really excellant luthier (John Hargiss, if you are in the Omaha area). 

Glad you've got a freat hobby, Clark...keep it up.

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul