Topic: SFC 3 Mod Boards  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Sochin

• Lt.
SFC 3 Mod Boards
« on: August 04, 2004, 04:17:43 am »
Does anyone think that with the believed rifts between EAW/OP and SFC3 that calling the above boards "Child Boards" is productive? Not all of us stoop to the same levels that some of our banned bretheren aspire to.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
Re: SFC 3 Mod Boards
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:42:41 am »
You do realize that the list after "Child Boards" are each different fora for specific mods, right?   There is the main board for SFC3 mods, and the subsets of SFC3 modding for each mod are it's "Children".  Just wanted to clear up as to whether you were joking, or didn't understand what was going on there, before another flame fest broke out. :D

Offline Sochin

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 04:56:03 am »
Sorry bit of a noob but you can see that this could cause concern or problems.

Does it have to be called a Child Board?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 05:07:03 am by F9thSweeting »

Offline Holocat

• An even siller cat than Even SillierCats. ;3
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 05:29:49 am »
This is simply programmers terminology.  A throwover from Object Oriented applications, if C-los is correct in his statement.

It may look odd to you, but it has less to do with childishness and more to do with the parent-child relationship as to how the boards work.

I am, of course, guessing.  Again, however, it probably refers to that particular object relationship rather than anything else.  If you can, just dismiss it as programmer's babble.

Offline Sochin

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 05:32:29 am »
Can an admin or maderater delete this post quick before I start something we might regret please.

Offline =SyN=Remick

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:24:14 am »
I wouldnt worry about it Sweeting :)

SMF and YaBB calls them child boards, PHPBB and PHPBBFM calls them SubCatagories, IkonBoard used to call them child boards but switched to Inner Boards or Sub Level Catagorys.  Each board system has there own name for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th level board.  From what i know about SMF is it possible to change the name, but much like IkonBoard it requires alterations to the hardcode of the index and the files for the viewing of the heir pages.

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 10:26:37 am »
Actully its just a language file change.
But, being a programmer, i cant think of anything better than child.
Maybe i should start taking suggestions, but i really dont see it as an issue.

Offline The Pelican

• DomWars Creator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Dominion Wars
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 06:26:52 pm »
Parent-Child

Category-SubCategory

Forum-SubForum

Most commonly used terms.

--------

Parent-Child is the one used to explain how it works. Imagine a Family Tree, with the main forum at the top, then your categories, then the forums within that category, then the Sub-Forums within the forum.

It's used to save space on the main display actually, plus it also reduces server load.