Topic: "Unity" mod changes hands  (Read 2513 times)

Offline F9thRyker

• Pimp
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • If it has a pulse, does it have a phone number...?
    • http://www.9thfleet.com
"Unity" mod changes hands
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:10:03 pm »
Posted upon request from the UNITY admin team:

--------------------------------------------------

OK folks, face it. Cozbo, WaterTiger and Rivaris are just a tad burnt out. Fried, actually.

We been doing this since December 2003 when we began at BattleClinic and the then-BOTAKnights (Brotherhood of Trans-Atlantic Knights) carried this torch of KoraH's and TNZ-style modding almost one year later. We have seen modders and modelers come and go.

It gets to ya' after a while, ya' know?

When you have seen dozens of players strip ships, alt+f-4 and then deny it .... use every cheat know to SFC3 and been given the proof ... deleted dozens of accounts, banned players and seen every dirty trick and explanation under the sun ... it's time for a break.

We are jaded.

I made a personal promise to myself after watching KoraH implode on BattleClinic and destroy a small piece of us all ... I would carry that torch.

Unity has seen now nine (or is it 11?) full evolutions and a number of patches and 12 campaigns -- painstaking campaigns, mind-numbing experiances where you just want to tell the world the STFU. We have replaced more than 120 ships from KoraH's TNZ and created a new race.

Today I had enough after being accused by an SBO player of deleting accounts and being a cheating admin ... Cozbo was already done and so was Rivaris. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The modelers Markyd, Grinch have done a fine job to bring us new ships. That work will continue. I will continue to work on Unity: 'The First Age' -- our TOS mod, due out by Christmas.

But now both Cozbo and I have decided to pass the torch for a bit on the server-side. We need a break. I do; he does and Rivaris is just a crazy gamer who is nutty and does a damn good job and putting this together where Cozbo and I have half the parts on our desktops. LMAO

So ... Vic, I'll continue to do the usual PR and link the damned world, Cozbo will consult, Rivaris (if I can drag him away from other better games) and I will consult (privately)

... and now we pass the torch to S-31 (Section 31). They are an exemplary fleet. They are also a trusted and know ally.

Our 11thFleet engineers -- Kronis and Riptide -- will continue to 'server' us well (pardon the pun) ...

S-31, Unity is yours for a bit server-side ... I won't leave her. I stand guard.

The mod has been refined and honed and taken to mathmatical perfection by Cozbo.

Pirates was our best work to date, bar none. Now four shielded races ... and the 'uber' Borg that KoraH could never balance -- and Taldren was nuts to make playable -- are AI, as they should be ...

So there you have it.

Ol' WT passes the torch to S-31Chuck and his fine group of officers ...

... and Cozbo, Rivaris and WT watch as you handle the server BS ... as you deal with reboots ... as you get the complaints ... as you take the hundreds upon hundreds of screenshots that crazy, nutty gamers pass your way. As you tell the latest general chat moron to shut up (please be more delicate than me).

I have massaged this server kit to near perfection with settings from trial and error and doing this for months. I know her like the back of my hand.

I do recommend going back to V531, as V534_b is buggier than a $2 dollar slot machine in Vegas.

I'll do the usual PR and Unity Website maintenance and teach you how to whack the jerks that invade the joint just to cause trouble ... I'll stay out of the way while Unity is running. You make the rules; the campaigns, the maps, the registration headaches, the doo doo brains who are 30 in age and 12 mentally.

You will learn that the number of evolutions around the planet Earth does NOT = intelligence.

Once she launches again, consider me a player. That is all. Cozbo and I will help in Unity Team forums on STGD with advice.

Unity was -- IS -- a gift to the community after KoraH walked from us all in November, 2003. She has passed ships to ever mod out there today (look at the STGD shipyards in the forums and the more I will add).

I will continue my work with Raven Night and Bridge Commander Universe to do a ship exchange program.

Just like with the Unity Team as it is today, I'll direct this opera, but you take the headache, bro. You take the server hassles and the junk. We just can't hear another excuse.

This has drained me ... I can't see another alt+f4 screen, server quarrel, jerk gamer ...

Take her for a spin or two or three. You handle the BS.

Bring her up when you want. I'll have either the V531 or V534 server kits ready when you are ...

In short, welcome to the Unity Team.

She is yours until I get back my sense of 'community'.

-salute-

--------------------------------------------------

The four most powerful men in the galaxy:

The President of the United Federation of Planets...
The Chancellor of the Klingon Empire...The Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire...

...and the Captain of a Federation Starship...

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Re: "Unity" mod changes hands
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:10:34 pm »
Are we sure WT isn't a Fed?

That sounded distinctly Fed....
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.