Topic: Speedtest.net results for your ISP  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Speedtest.net results for your ISP
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:30 am »
Using my Verizon Wireless USB modem

Which modem btw?  I'm using the USB720

Same model.. lets me move it between the laptop and the desktop (as opposed to a PCMCIA air card).

Out of curiosity I should tether my Palm and see what it gets.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 07:01:08 am »
Using my Verizon Wireless USB modem

Wireless and USB! The HORROR!

* Bonk runs screaming from the thread.

Hah.. beats my dial-up...my phone line has more noise than the Christmas party at the national enquirer.  The latency is FAR less than the satellite Internet I replaced with this.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:24:04 am »
The latency is FAR less than the satellite Internet I replaced with this.

I recall when you switched. Definitely a better choice.

Fun with USB modems - watch cpu use (with kernel times) with a  low overhead networking app like wget or ftp at the command line. It is not as much as an issue with the CPU horsepower we have today, but put a heavy load on the processors like a graphically intensive game... Compare the cpu use to the result of using an actual ethernet card. Not long ago, this was a serious issue. (Say PII 300MHz - Win98...)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 07:29:38 am »
my wireless speed.
Local

long hop to Japan

and a shot to other side of the puddle

will have to try my wired one also.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:44 am »
The latency is FAR less than the satellite Internet I replaced with this.

I recall when you switched. Definitely a better choice.

Fun with USB modems - watch cpu use (with kernel times) with a  low overhead networking app like wget or ftp at the command line. It is not as much as an issue with the CPU horsepower we have today, but put a heavy load on the processors like a graphically intensive game... Compare the cpu use to the result of using an actual ethernet card. Not long ago, this was a serious issue. (Say PII 300MHz - Win98...)

You are correct sir.  Fortunately, my desktop runs a dual core AMD 2 GHZ chip with 2 GB of RAM and my laptop has a Centrino Duo 1.6 GHZ chip with 1 GHZ of RAM, so I don't notice it so much. 

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:05 am »

These results are from my laptop right now.  My ISP is AT&T Yahoo DSL and we pay 25 bucks a month for a 1.5-3.0 mbps connection.  We got the service before they changed their plans.  To get the same speed now, we'd have to pay an additional 5 bucks a month.

My laptop right now is using a wireless connection and my router is a 2WIRE DSL gateway that came with the DSL service. 

My mother is currently on the main computer doing a few things on the internet.  Oh, that reminds me, last week she retired finally after nearly 42 years on the job with L.A. Sheriff's.  She was a civilian employee. 

When I get a chance I'll do speed tests on my main computer, but I don't think the speed results will be any different really.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:44 am »

Does anyone else think its odd that my download/upload speed to London is faster than to San Francisco which is less than 10 miles away? (I don't care what that thing says, there is no way the server is 50 miles away from me. SF just isn't that big!)

Bonk, have you ever considered setting up your own DSL server and providing service to your neighbors? Is that even possible?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 11:28:15 am »
Does anyone else think its odd that my download/upload speed to London is faster than to San Francisco which is less than 10 miles away? (I don't care what that thing says, there is no way the server is 50 miles away from me. SF just isn't that big!)

I would say that difference is not significant, and is probably related to time zone differences than anything. The latency figures are appropriate. I'm also not so sure about speedtest.net model of operation. From what I gather I could register my connection as a test site. ;)

Bonk, have you ever considered setting up your own DSL server and providing service to your neighbors? Is that even possible?

No. The nearest switch is 6 KM away. DSL has a maximum usable range of 2.5Km. If I were to build a switchouse here I would still need to bring in coax or fiber to then redistribute by DSL. (Insane costs, not enough subscribers)

I've looked into packet radio before as a possibility.
http://www.tapr.org/pr_intro.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:40:50 am by Bonk »

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 11:38:21 am »
Here are the results using my Palm 700WX "tethered" to my laptop.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 01:01:37 pm »
Here's what I get from my Kubuntu install (Konqueror/Flash9r48):

As expected, a faster download but oddly a bit slower upload and looks like a higher ping, but that might just tbe the time of day. (I also got a 207 IP address registered to Aliant proper to day... but I don't think that is the difference)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:36 pm »
At least you almost doubled yor download speed.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 01:38:21 pm »
At least you almost doubled yor download speed.

Try running QNX on your connection... ;) The wire will get hot!  ;D

This observation tells me though that your advice does have merit, there may be some tweaks I haven't found yet that I can make in windows to get similar results, so the connection will behave more like it does in Linux.