Poll

Which brand do you prefer

nvidia
13 (61.9%)
ATI
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Topic: nvidia or ATI?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Monty

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: nvidia or ATI?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 05:15:01 am »
I've got an nVidia Ti4200 for about 2 years now. Totally Rock solid.

Had an nvidia (I think) riva TNT2 before that... and going some years back now I had a Matrox millenium card - 8 mb of VRAM!!

Saying that I'm finding these days the Ti4200 is a bit lacking for the newer games... so with a budget of about 100- 130 pounds to spend on a graphics card I find that ATI's 9800 PRO looks very good value for money as opposed to the nVidia FX "Leaf blower" range in the same price bracket.

I would really like to upgrade the graphics card now, but will be building a new system in the summer so I think it might be best to wait until then - when I will possibily have the choice of the aTI X800 range or the nVidia GF6 range.

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have considered ATI at all... these days I think they have (largely) cleaned up their image regarding driver support and recent improvements in their OpenGL support is encouraging. I'm also concerned about the power requirements of the top nvidia cards too... SLI sounds good but could be rather expensive on the electricity bill  ;)

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 06:21:07 am »
nVidia for me personally.

I have used both in different systems plus ones I support. Yes 3DFX was bought by nVidia and they are just now starting to introduce some of that technology they got from them, 3dfx was way ahead of the rest. The ATI cards have come along way and yes they still can have support issues, that you tend not to see in nVidia. On the other hand ATI usually is more moderatily priced between the two. Both are solid performers for games, and windows usage. The winner in the more Graphics market is nVidia, and this will be for some time to come because of the infusion of the 3dfx technology they bought.

Now if you are just talking about graphics there are better cards than both these guys out there, especially for CAD, CGI and other very high graphic programs, most of these cards start in the 1000 dollar range and go up from there.

For gaming either will work, as ATI works better for some games and nVidia for other games. Look for the best preformance for the game you play verse price and one of these guys will stand out better than the other. It really comes down to what games you are spending time playing on-line, and cost to decide what card to get. As for SFC either will work just fine, and in the lower end card as well.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 06:22:16 am »
Bonk...just read the spec's on the Parhelia..triple screen output...sounds cool..I will definately look into it..Matrox is pretty solid on thier support too...

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 11:56:43 am »
I've got an nVidia Ti4200 for about 2 years now. Totally Rock solid.

Had an nvidia (I think) riva TNT2 before that... and going some years back now I had a Matrox millenium card - 8 mb of VRAM!!

Saying that I'm finding these days the Ti4200 is a bit lacking for the newer games... so with a budget of about 100- 130 pounds to spend on a graphics card I find that ATI's 9800 PRO looks very good value for money as opposed to the nVidia FX "Leaf blower" range in the same price bracket.

I would really like to upgrade the graphics card now, but will be building a new system in the summer so I think it might be best to wait until then - when I will possibily have the choice of the aTI X800 range or the nVidia GF6 range.

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have considered ATI at all... these days I think they have (largely) cleaned up their image regarding driver support and recent improvements in their OpenGL support is encouraging. I'm also concerned about the power requirements of the top nvidia cards too... SLI sounds good but could be rather expensive on the electricity bill  ;)

For my money I'd get a 9600 XT with 256mb RAM over a 9800Pro.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 03:33:36 pm »
NVidia 6800 Ultra is the top end card on the market.. out performs any ATI card by at least 20%.. it also revolutionizes Open GL with new hardware and code instruction and rendering of games and Movies is superb... the only drawback to the 6800 card is the power supply requirements.. you have to make sure you have 2 open power points in your system and that your Power supply has at lease 100 wats available to power the card.. however 200watts is more than sufficient..

You can look up performance specifications with different system spec companies... PC Magazine tested NVidia against the Radeon 800x and the Geforce 6800 Ultra with 256 MB mem out performed the 800x by 20% in overall looks, graphics, rendering, DirectX, and Open GL, this doesnot count other performance specs which were at least 20% better than ATI Radeon 800x.

However, best suggestion would be to go to Comp USA and test the cards out on their floor model systems so you can find the best one for your needs... they have several systems with Geforce 6800 Ultra and the Radeon 800x.. Just make sure to ask them if you can use the same monitor for your comparrison as different monitors may give different results.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 03:48:56 pm »
Good advice...the local Comp USA is very cooperative

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 09:02:06 pm »
Actually i just recently purchased a 6800 gt, its basically an ultra with a slower clock speed (and 150 bucks cheaper :)).  comes in tommorrow and then it'll be time to OC the bloody thing :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"