Topic: Freely available and legal software.  (Read 135491 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Freely available and legal software.
« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »
Songbird

Songbird is a cross-platform music player based on Mozilla code. It lets you play, manage, and discover music. You can customize its appearance with skins, and create dynamic playlists that automatically update based on criteria you set. Supports some media players and can support iPods with an extension.

Avidemux

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering, and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD-compatible MPEG files, MP4, and ASF, using a variety of codecs. You can automate tasks using projects, a job queue, and powerful scripting capabilities.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:52 am »
MuseScore

MuseScore is a free cross platform WYSIWYG music notation program, licenced under GNU GPL.
Some highlights:

*  WYSIWYG, notes are entered on a "virtual note sheet"
    * Unlimited number of staves
    * Up to four voices per staff
    * Easy and fast note entry with mouse, keyboard or MIDI
    * Integrated sequencer and FluidSynth software synthesizer
    * Import and export of MusicXML and Standard MIDI Files (SMF)
    * Platform independent code, binaries available for Windows, Mac and Linux
    * Available in 20 languages
    * GNU GPL licenced
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2010, 03:20:12 pm »
Mumble

Low-latency, high-quality voice communication for gamers. Includes game linking, so voice from other players comes from the direction of their characters, and has echo cancellation so the sound from your loudspeakers won't be audible to other players.

WinXP - Vista, Linux, OSX

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2010, 06:14:06 pm »
wikidPad

wikidPad is a real-time wiki
wikidPad is not a web server, or application server, or groupware solution. wikidPad is a standalone notepad like application, albeit notepad on steroids. wikidPad is like an IDE for your thoughts.

IDE for your thoughts
Software developers have grown accustomed to certain features from their integrated development environment that make their jobs easier. Features like auto-completion, outline views, incremental search, easy source code navigation. IDE's that provide these features can greatly increase developer productivity. wikidPad attempts to utilize some of these features to address the problem of personal information management.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »
(Sun's) Project Darkstar

Project Darkstar is a software platform that simplifies the development of horizontally scalable servers for online games, virtual worlds, and social networking applications. Its revolutionary design will eliminate serious problems like zone overloading, data corruption, and inefficient server utilization, while enabling new dimensions of play such as evolvable virtual worlds and very large scale battlefields.

Hmmm....

(http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/moore.shtml)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2010, 03:45:54 pm »
Reading the information on Darkstar, it just may be something for us.  Just because of the StarTrek references in the docs.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »
I'm going to have to check out that Musescore. I love composing.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #347 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »
PowerUp

the first publicly available 3D MMO game from IBM

:skeptic:   I have not tried this but am curious...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:33 am »
I'm going to have to check out that Musescore. I love composing.

Stephen

Let me know how it works out, I may pass it on to some offline acquaintances.  Unfortunately I have no musical talent myself so I couldn't evaluate it. 

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2010, 10:16:02 am »
I will do buddy.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #350 on: July 03, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »
CAELinux

Welcome to CAELinux.com, the website dedicated to the computer aided engineering Linux distribution CAElinux.

Just insert the CAELinux LiveDVD in your computer to turn it into a professionnal CAE workstation: no installation is required!

Based on the open-source CAE softwares Salomé, Code_Aster, Code_Saturne and OpenFOAM , you can load your CAD geometry in Salomé and start partitionning and meshing your problem in just 5 minutes.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #351 on: July 03, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »
The Khan Academy

The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit organization with the mission of providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere.

We have 1400+ videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance which have been recorded by Salman Khan. Listen to a recent interview by Salman with NPR's All Things Considered

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »
Inkscape

About Inkscape

An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »
Universal USB Installer –

Universal USB Installer is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use. Simply choose a Live Linux Distribution, the ISO file, your Flash Drive and, Click Install. Other features include; Persistence (if available), and the ability to format the flash drive (recommended) to ensure a clean install. Upon completion, you should have a ready to run bootable USB Flash Drive with your select Linux version installed.

I have played around with it a little.  It does work but the "universal" is exaggerated as it only works with certain (a wide variety) distributions and seems to be updated frequently to only work with "current" versions of them. 

The version I used took up to 4 GB on a thumbdrive but did not work on an SD card even in an external adapter.  It can be set to function as a "live" Linux that does not retain anything between uses or as a full function version that does so retain.  I have used it a little on my Acer Netbook and it worked fine.

Some of the Linux distributions it supports are "utility" versions such as GPArted and Clonezilla and might well be useful tools to some of our "techies" here, for some it would be worth keeping a few cheap Thumbdrives just to have those utilities in your tool chest ready to go.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:06 am »
TiddlyWiki

TiddlyWiki is a single html file which has all the characteristics of a wiki - including all of the content, the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet. Because it's a single file, it's very portable - you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick.

8) I like. Using it here.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2010, 04:07:13 pm »
Stix fonts

Mission

The mission of the Scientific and Technical Information Exchange (STIX) font creation project is the preparation of a comprehensive set of fonts that serve the scientific and engineering community in the process from manuscript creation through final publication, both in electronic and print formats. Toward this purpose, the STIX fonts will be made available, under royalty-free license, to anyone, including publishers, software developers, scientists, students, and the general public.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »
This one blew my mind:

gwt-lzma

gwt-lzma is a GWT module that implements the Lempel-Ziv-Markov chain (LZMA) compression algorithm. This is a generic compression library, i.e., compression in Javascript, not just compression of Javascript (i.e., "minification").

Not quite sure what if anything I will do with it yet, as it leads me to ask: Why no mod_lzma? Why no accept encoding: lzma in browser response headers? Have I missed something? I do have ideas for this though. (webmappy stuff comes to mind..)

I have come across a whole bunch of new stuff lately and have been neglecting this thread. I'll try and post a bunch soon.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2010, 05:40:10 am »
OK. We have a winner. I have not used it (not sure I have a use for it), but the English description is too much. This guy wins. For someone's who's first language is not English he seems to really understand the mindset. I'm not sure if I should be insulted or applaud. I'd love to get a first hand translation of the Chinese version. OK, so without further ado, I present to you, the absolutely most incredible, far-out, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious:

PHPRPC

PHPRPC is a lightweight, secure, cross-domain, platform-independent, language-independent, envirment-independent, complex object supported, reference parameters supported, content redirecting supported, session supported, service-oriented, high performance remote procedure call protocol.

;D

It does look like it might be useful, but that description!  :D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:38 am »
For my own reference and for others... I need to sort these buggers out or come up with my own solution:

LABjs

LABjs (Loading And Blocking JavaScript) is an open-source (MIT license) project supported by Getify Solutions. The core purpose of LABjs is to be an all-purpose, on-demand JavaScript loader, capable of loading any JavaScript resource, from any location, into any page, at any time. Loading your scripts with LABjs reduces resource blocking during page-load, which is an easy and effective way to optimize your site's performance.

LazyLoad

LazyLoad is a tiny (only 818 bytes minified and gzipped), dependency-free JavaScript library that makes it super easy to load external JavaScript and CSS files on demand. It's ideal for quickly and unobtrusively loading large external scripts and stylesheets either lazily after the rest of the page has finished loading or on demand as needed.

In addition to CSS support, this version of LazyLoad also adds support for parallel loading of multiple resources in browsers that support it. To load multiple resources in parallel, simply pass an array of URLs in a single LazyLoad call.

jsl

Imagine there's a 4-lane highway between your web browser and the internet itself. This highway is optimize to let pictures, text, and css fly by. But, when it comes to external scripts, the highway creates a toll booth that slows traffic. The worst part is that pictures text, and css caught behind these scripts have to wait until they pass through. JSL is the latest in toll both avoidance. It creates an express lane that lets all pictures, text, css, and external scripts pass by without worrying about toll booths. That means you save time and money on traffic costs :)

NBL.js

NBL.js is a tiny script that will make your HTML pages load faster by loading all your JavaScript files asynchronously (in parallel) with the rest of your page. Normally if you include two or three scripts in your page, the browser will wait for them to be executed before your page is shown.

jingo

In our opinion, the framework bias and technical limitations of current approaches to JavaScipt dependency management are deal breakers. Script Tag Append is able to properly attribute source code to its file resource, which keeps crucial tools like Firebug working for us, but Ajax and Eval guarantees dependency order. Why can't we have our cake and eat it too? Jingo was created with the goal of learning from both approaches and delivering the best of both in a single, lightweight, framework-agnostic package. We think we've succeeded in doing so, and we hope your project will benefit from the fruits of our labor.

and of course

YUI Loader

The YUI Loader Utility is a client-side JavaScript component that allows you to load specific YUI components and their dependencies into your page via script. YUI Loader can operate as a holistic solution by loading all of your necessary YUI components, or it can be used to add one or more components to a page on which some YUI content already exists

and

Google Libraries API

The Libraries API is a content distribution network and loading architecture for the most popular, open-source JavaScript libraries. Using the Google API Loader's google.load() method increases your application's speed while providing access to a growing list of the most popular, open-source JavaScript libraries, including:

and paid, but relatively cheap and interesting (but not really an option):

Amazon CloudFront

Amazon CloudFront is a web service for content delivery. It integrates with other Amazon Web Services to give developers and businesses an easy way to distribute content to end users with low latency, high data transfer speeds, and no commitments.

But I'm looking for a more stand-aloney solution even though the CDNs make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

There are more out there but these look to be the most recent, professional and maintained solutions.

It is a simple problem. Very simple libraries. A huge opportunity in advancing how the web works. None of them have it quite right and the browser is the limitation. They are all workarounds using simple components and browser conditionals.

There are two things I see missing in modern browsers (well two main things) lzma decoding and the ecmascript (javascript) execution implementation model. HTML5 and ecma5 address some of the issues, but in a standards re-definitions band-aidy kind of way.

I think it is near time to rethink the browser altogether. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Interestingly, the only browser I have seen that supports lzma is elinks (a text browser). Nobody has tried to implement it server-side, and I think I see why, but I also think it can be done (by pre-compression if need be, though there are several ways to skin the cat)

Edit: it occurs to me that perhaps it is no accident I have presented these two ideas side-by-side. Perhaps the implementation of one is the solution to the other. (i.e. lzma compression, done well, could remove the script overhead bottleneck)

(wow, this thread has been viewed nearly 30000 times!!!)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:50:52 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »
OK, another list of stuff to sort through. Another javascript loader, more open source javascript libraries, and some pretty interesting applications.

Just for fun, and kind of handy... (just a webpage):

Periodic Table

A table of all HTML5 elements arranged by type.

Another site, but a good rundown on HTML5:
Interactive HTML5 Presentation

Now the software.
Another javascript loader to test (none of the others suited my purpose, but might work here - will test on canada-east):

RequireJS

RequireJS loads plain JavaScript files as well as more defined modules. It is optimized for in-browser use, including in a Web Worker, but it can be used in other JavaScript environments, like Rhino and Node. It implements the Asynchronous Module API.

For the modelers?:

CloudSCAD

Created by Tony Buser

It's OpenSCAD for the web. It lets you write, share, mashup, and customize parametric 3D models using the OpenSCAD scripting language all within the browser and doesn't require anything to be installed locally.

That and a few other things...

Some relatively new and significant javascript libraries:

node.js

Evented I/O for V8 JavaScript.

Node's goal is to provide an easy way to build scalable network programs. In the "hello world" web server example above, many client connections can be handled concurrently. Node tells the operating system (through epoll, kqueue, /dev/poll, or select) that it should be notified when a new connection is made, and then it goes to sleep. If someone new connects, then it executes the callback. Each connection is only a small heap allocation.

socket.IO

Socket.IO aims to make realtime apps possible in every browser and mobile device, blurring the differences between the different transport mechanisms. ...
Under the hood, Socket.IO will use feature detection to decide if the connection will be established with WebSocket, AJAX long polling, etc (see supported transports), making creating realtime apps that work everywhere a snap.

three.js

The aim of this project is to create a lightweight 3D engine with a very low level of abstraction (aka for dummies). Currently there is no documentation available but feel free to use the examples as a reference and/or read the source code. However, be aware that the API may change from revision to revision breaking compatibility.

The engine can render using <canvas>, <svg> and WebGL.

vapor.js

The World's Smallest & Fastest JavaScript Library

less.js

LESS extends CSS with: variables, mixins, operations and nested rules.

interesting... but what about performance?

Now the really freaky stuff:

haXe

haXe (pronounced as hex) is an open source programming language.

While most other languages are bound to their own platform (Java to the JVM, C# to .Net, ActionScript to the Flash Player), haXe is a multiplatform language.

Alchemy (ugh, flash, but nevertheless, this is interesting... )

Alchemy is a research project that allows users to compile C and C++ code that is targeted to run on the open source ActionScript Virtual Machine (AVM2). The purpose of this preview is to assess the level of community interest in reusing existing C and C++ libraries in Web applications that run on Adobe® Flash® Player and Adobe AIR®.

And finally...

JS1k

The winner:
Bouncing Beholder

^ use arrow keys ^

OK, that one looks a little gay, but some of this stuff really blows my mind.

(edit -oops it scrolls the page too... can't be bothered to address that. other neat stuff to move on to...)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:31:44 pm by Bonk »