Topic: DVD Drive dilema  (Read 3509 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
DVD Drive dilema
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:30:58 pm »
Recently installed an NEC 3500A DVD/RW, no appearant problems.

Used it in Alcohol 120 and burned a backup of a PS2 DVD.
Put DVD movies in and they play.

Tonight I try copy some large (1-3 Gb) sized files to it.
  1st thing noticed is that in the file sub-menu if select Send To then the follow on menu shows the DVD drive but not the CD-RW drive.
  2nd thing noticed, once I put in a blank DVD (Philips DVD+R 1-8X 4.7Gb, listed as supported by this drive on the NEC site) the icon for the drive changes from DVD to CD. Any attempt to copy a large (1-3 Gb) file to the drive using the Paste command comes up with a Drive Inaccesible (at first) and then a Problem Copying, Retry/Cancel window.
  Remove the blank DVD and the icon changes back to DVD.

???
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: DVD Drive dilema
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 11:55:36 pm »
did you use the drivers provided by the manufacture or the ones from xp?  if you use the default xp drivers i would suggest you install the manufacture drivers.  It would also be smart to check for most current drivers at the manufactures website
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 04:45:49 am »
Me and my uncle had the same thing happen to an HP DVD drive.  It seems that the computer CD-Writer on the machine had drivers which were trying to override the other drive.  There was some small icon in there that you had to click in order to have the right drivers work for it.

I screwed it up even more somehow, and now it only registers as a CD drive half the time.  He IS doing a full reinstall fo the drivers.  Not certain if that helps you or not though.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:14:06 am »
did you use the drivers provided by the manufacture or the ones from xp?  if you use the default xp drivers i would suggest you install the manufacture drivers.  It would also be smart to check for most current drivers at the manufactures website

1st thing I checked for since it came OEM without drivers. No drivers available on the NEC site. Think that is a little odd?

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:20:38 am »
Me and my uncle had the same thing happen to an HP DVD drive.  It seems that the computer CD-Writer on the machine had drivers which were trying to override the other drive.  There was some small icon in there that you had to click in order to have the right drivers work for it.

I screwed it up even more somehow, and now it only registers as a CD drive half the time.  He IS doing a full reinstall fo the drivers.  Not certain if that helps you or not though.

That does help, cause now I know I'm not going bonkers in vain, somebody else has a problem too.

I'm wondering if its just that type of media, but that wouldn't explain the CD/RW icon showing as just CD, or the fact that burning  a DVD worked in Alcohol 120 and that program shows the drive correctly as a DVD/RW

The system came from a manufacturer with both DVD and CD/RW installed. The DVD I removed was set as master so that is what I set the DVD/RW as. Perhaps I should ensure that the CD/RW is set at slave or cable select?

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 10:08:38 am »
if i remember correctly the XP burning system was designed for CD-RW and has alot of trouble burning DVD-RW and it isnt really worth the effort to correct i recomend getting a copy of Nero6 ultra edition (about $30) it has pretty much all the tools you will need for your DVD burner

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:44:11 pm »
Sure enough, Nero 6 works so now I can use it for data and Alcohol 120 for 1 to 1 DVD copies. Odd thing still that a blank DVD will change the DVD drive icon to CD, yet if its a DVD burned by either of the above programs it wil stay as DVD. Freaking XP. :-\l