Topic: Video Question for the Tech guys  (Read 905 times)

Offline Vorcha

• Lt. Junior Grade
Video Question for the Tech guys
« on: January 06, 2005, 08:38:35 pm »
Heya,

I have a new laptop through work now - Dell Dimension 800, running WIN2000 w/ a Gforce FX Go5200.  I have always used a standard SVGA monitor with OP on my big box at home, and OP works/plays just fine (W98 through XP) - but now with this laptop and it's LCD screen....it goes black immediately after launch and the game hangs.  I figure it's something w/ the video and LCD...but I don't know enough about using LCD's w/ old games to get it to work.

I am having the same problem with other old games as well - Armada II, CIV2, EAW, RISK, AXIS and ALLIES to name a few.  New games work just fine.

Question:  Is there anyway to have this LCD or Video emulate something older so I can run my "ancient" games while traveling?

Thanks in advance for any help...

V

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: Video Question for the Tech guys
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 12:43:43 am »
You may want to check your Video card drivers.. i have tried several on my system..

Toshiba Laptop Satellite 5205-s705 Media Center Mobile PC

i have a GeForce FX go5600 vid card.. the default drivers i have used up until about a month ago are the 4336 drivers which render the games perfectly...

about a month ago, since Toshiba does not update Video Drivers, i went to NVidia web site and DL'd the 6.6.9.3 driver and did a manual driver install for the GeForce FX 5600 standard card (listed as GeForce FX 5600).. so far all my games work perfectly and no problems on my system or hangups or glitches...

you may want to try one of these 2 drivers for your go5200... I would suggest the 6.6.9.3 driver and select the Geforce FX 5200 standard driver (listed as Geforce FX 5200) and see how that works... you also  may want to DL and reinstall DirectX 9.0c on your system to correct any possibility of having corrupted directX files...

I hope that this helps.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 08:35:15 am »
Make sure your game resolution isn't set above the maximum resolution the LCD can handle. I would set it to what ever works when viewing the LCD from the desktop.
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 01:53:24 pm »
It might also be that you're running Windows 2000. That platform was NEVER designed with gaming in mind.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Vorcha

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 04:31:56 pm »
It might also be that you're running Windows 2000. That platform was NEVER designed with gaming in mind.

Yes agreed Josh...unfortunately I have no choice with a work Laptop hahaha.

Thanks guys...I will try these and see what happens.

V