Topic: Enterprise censored?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Enterprise censored?
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:55:48 pm »
The third season episode, "Harbinger", contained the first Star Trek nude scene presented in a sexual context (an episode of TNG did show a nude woman, but it was in the context of an art class). The episode aired in the United States during the height of controversy over 'Janet Jackson' exposing a breast during the Super Bowl, on a network owned by CBS (which was taking heat for the incident). As a result, the scene in which T'Pol's rear end is exposed was censored. Canadian broadcasts, however, were uncensored.

For those who don't know what they missed.

Link
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Re: Enterprise censored?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 05:07:30 pm »
It wasn't much.  You can see T'Pol's buttcrack, while American footage cut off the picture off slightly higher.

http://www.st-enterprise.de/images/dampf/harbinger_03.jpg
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 05:13:56 pm »
Hey look whos in control now Censorship is big with this government we got in power.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:19:55 pm »
Hey look whos in control now Censorship is big with this government we got in power.

Are you kiddin'?

If ol' Slick WIlliehad still been in off ice he would have 'confiscated' that part of the tape!!!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 09:08:27 pm »
BTW, there is no question it was sensored because of the Janet Jackson thing.  IIRC, the promos for the episode didn't sensor it (I'm guessing it aired the Wednesday after the Superbowl).
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 09:09:49 pm »

Are you kiddin'?

If ol' Slick WIlliehad still been in off ice he would have 'confiscated' that part of the tape!!!

Oh no he wouldn't have.  He prefers "meaty" women.  I"m sure t'pol is far too skinny for his quarter ouncer.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 09:11:41 pm »

Are you kiddin'?

Oh no he wouldn't have.  He prefers "meaty" women.  I"m sure t'pol is far too skinny for his quarter ouncer.

Hey, old dogs can learn new tricks... I used to only like older women; it's just a matter of prospective.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 10:17:03 am »
that remind me of 2 startrek scene that was censor in TV from movies, the first is st1 when the transporter mall function and those who where beam aboard wheredisform and the 2 is in st4 when kirk ask the punk to lower the volume and the punk show is middle finger, i find it stupid, the ready to show a lot of violence but nudity or anything to do with it is sensor from TV, also a friend of my sister was at the theater to see kill bill 2 but find it too violent so she decide to see the pation of the Christ instead, there more violence there but its religious violence so its OK, just stupid  ::)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 04:47:15 pm »

Are you kiddin'?

Oh no he wouldn't have. He prefers "meaty" women. I"m sure t'pol is far too skinny for his quarter ouncer.

Hey, old dogs can learn new tricks... I used to only like older women; it's just a matter of prospective.

In otherwords, you joined them in age!

You old man you!

:o

:D
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:52:15 pm »
From Nem's link:

In Capt. Archer's cabin, there is a photo on the wall of a Pan American World Airways Boeing Clipper. Gene Roddenberry was, at one time a pilot for Pan Am.

So that's what that is.

edit: Found another tidbit:

Ben Browder was considered for the role of Major Hayes.

If that was true, that could have easily saved ENT right then and there.  Bringing over the Farscape fans would have definately boosted ratings, especially if the character of Hayes wasn't offed in season 3 and kept around for the rest of the show.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 09:01:57 am »
Ben Browder's taking up a role in Stargate's ninth season though.  I'd like to see how that goes this year.  That is, when season eight of Stargate finishes.  I'm not overly-optimistic, but I'm ready to welcome him with open arms whilst watching Stargate...  But I digress.

...As for the main topic at hand, I read it before.  It's no big deal if it was censored or not.  Voyeurism and Star Trek don't quite mix together in my tastes, and was one of the main factors into my turning-away from the series up-until near-mid-season of this year's Enterprise (before it ends).

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher