Topic: SOT: Need help with 3ds Max Video-Post Glows...  (Read 938 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
SOT: Need help with 3ds Max Video-Post Glows...
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:20:44 pm »
Alrighty

Ive been messing around with 3ds Max's Video post for a few days now, and i cant get something to work. What i would like to happen is have an object glow around only where its illumination texture is white.

Let me show you in a better way...

Here is my Diffuse Texture

Here is my Illumination Texture

Here is the render with no glow

Here is the render with the glow effect im getting

This is what i want to glow (this was photoshoped)

Does this make sense?

Anyone know how to make it so the illumination texture indicates what glows and what doesnt?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
Re: SOT: Need help with 3ds Max Video-Post Glows...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:54:04 pm »
ok, now, make sure the illumination map intensity is set to RGB, not opaque, and if ya using an omni light for the additional effect, to set the upper and lower part of the sphere to be excluded from the light calculations of that omni light in the center of the sphere.

Now, there's another thing I like about the Video post, and that's the lightning effects it makes, just look at these two pics, the first one is through the standard render engine, the second one's through video post.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline DookeyKing

• Lord of all things smelly
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 10:51:59 am »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, any of the video post effects have to be assingned to an object.  So in your example. the only way to make ONLY the stripe on the ball glow would be if the stripe was actually a seperate object.  And Adonis, I'm sure you could tweak the glow settings in video post to make your second pic look more like the first.

Don't know if any of that helped or even made any sense.  :D

Good luck,
Scott

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 07:29:16 am »
I found a way.

Actually, you can place a glow on a texture, and have the source of the glow be the "effects" plus the Texture's Effect ID...now what i did, is i used a Blend material, in my one slot, i used the metal texture, the other i used my blue stuff, and as the blend map i used my illumination....made the blue stuff effect number "2" and set the glow to glow any texture with the effect id of 2.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."