Topic: Using a computer as a Media center  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Using a computer as a Media center
« on: March 14, 2005, 04:26:28 pm »
Doesn't seem that hard, mostly what I was wondering was what similar products are out there like the Apple Airport Express?
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
Also, info on what you have used your computer/home network for would be of great use to me.  i.e., does anyone use their computers as a music center, or for viewing movies, or anything else media wise?
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: Using a computer as a Media center
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 05:58:24 pm »
Doesn't seem that hard, mostly what I was wondering was what similar products are out there like the Apple Airport Express?
Also, info on what you have used your computer/home network for would be of great use to me. i.e., does anyone use their computers as a music center, or for viewing movies, or anything else media wise?

I use Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2K5 (only available on specifically built power machines) which has dual Hodgepodge TV Tuner cards (to record 2 channels at one time), playback movies, music, view pictures, play games like tetris and solitare by remote, listen to internet radio, view channel listings like Digital Cable and satellites displays, etc... all on  my remote controll without having to touch my system except to put blank DVD's in to save what I record to my 250 GB SATA HDD...

the machines are custom built for Win XP Media Center Edition and many are available from $1800 and up...

Taking the time to go to Comp USA and looking at the high end machines which usually has this OS onboard is well worth it.. the monitors they come with have much higher clairity and resolution capabilities than normal systems.. plus the system itself is usually one of the top end systems...

Like mine, I am running dual P IV 3.24 Ghz Extreme editions with 2 MB 2nd lvl cache (per CPU) and 1 GB system memory with a Radeon X300 256 MB vid card and FBS of 800 Mhz with the memory synced to same speed.. total cost of this system was $2450, give or take $30..

Why built into a system with software that may or may not work on it.. these systems are specifically designed for total home entertainment.. like the sound cards are all Dolby Digital 7.1 surround and can push 500 watts per channel for 6 channels.. AKA Sound Blaster Audigy Ultra...

Anyhow.. best system I have had as of yet.. Sony Viao desktop system... Laptops by Sony and Toshiba are hard to beat as well.. the only systems better are either the ones you build (hard to get correct components to make all Multi-Media work correctly) or the ones from Alienware Computers.. but they cost too much, but the quality is well worth the expense.

Hope that this helps.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 06:06:34 pm »
Also, info on what you have used your computer/home network for would be of great use to me. i.e., does anyone use their computers as a music center, or for viewing movies, or anything else media wise?

I use Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2K5 (only available on specifically built power machines) which has dual Hodgepodge TV Tuner cards (to record 2 channels at one time), playback movies, music, view pictures, play games like tetris and solitare by remote, listen to internet radio, view channel listings like Digital Cable and satellites displays, etc... all on  my remote controll without having to touch my system except to put blank DVD's in to save what I record to my 250 GB SATA HDD...

the machines are custom built for Win XP Media Center Edition and many are available from $1800 and up...

Taking the time to go to Comp USA and looking at the high end machines which usually has this OS onboard is well worth it.. the monitors they come with have much higher clairity and resolution capabilities than normal systems.. plus the system itself is usually one of the top end systems...

Like mine, I am running dual P IV 3.24 Ghz Extreme editions with 2 MB 2nd lvl cache (per CPU) and 1 GB system memory with a Radeon X300 256 MB vid card and FBS of 800 Mhz with the memory synced to same speed.. total cost of this system was $2450, give or take $30..

Why built into a system with software that may or may not work on it.. these systems are specifically designed for total home entertainment.. like the sound cards are all Dolby Digital 7.1 surround and can push 500 watts per channel for 6 channels.. AKA Sound Blaster Audigy Ultra...

Anyhow.. best system I have had as of yet.. Sony Viao desktop system... Laptops by Sony and Toshiba are hard to beat as well.. the only systems better are either the ones you build (hard to get correct components to make all Multi-Media work correctly) or the ones from Alienware Computers.. but they cost too much, but the quality is well worth the expense.

Hope that this helps.

Hmmm...
Your system seems like it is overly prone to...ummm.... viruses.... yeah, that's it.  If you give it to me I wil...ummm...dispose of it...properly...for you.  Shall I PM you my address so you can send this system to me?   ;)
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 06:21:29 pm »
 :rofl:    :point:    :rofl:    :lol:
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 08:59:52 am »
I usually always watch DVDs on my computer, I have a FusionHDTV TV card for recording TV, but never have yet lol. The High Definition image comes out very clear on a monitor. Currently on the market, most TVs (including plasma screens) have nowhere near the resolution of a computer monitor. While the monitor may be smaller than a TV, its resolution brings out details you just dont see even on a good TV.
I've always used my stereo system for the sound on my computer anyway (I use it for CDs as well), just need to get the 6-speaker thing hapenning now. :)
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline The Bar-Abbas Anomaly

• Alpha Dog
  • Commander
  • I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid...
    • Alpha Dog Technical Services LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 10:11:48 am »

Pest, Toshiba laptops have taken a serious nosedive since the days of the 4x00 models....  At this moment I'm sitting next to two boxes of 6x00 Satellite Pro laptops (14 of 'em, and 1 9100) that have failed and are out of warranty, and the S1 models we've used since have had significant issues as well.  They're just poorly manufactured junk.  I loved my 4600 (and I'm still using it, even though it's only 900Mhz) but with the problems we've had since with them I will never buy another computer from Toshiba, and will never recommend them to anyone.  Your mileage will probably NOT vary!

I'm not particularly a fan of Sony, either, but I haven't had extended experience with them.

Anyone want a few broken Toshiba laptops?   :P
Alpha Dog is in the HOUSE!!!  (But he needs to go out...)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 10:27:46 am »
Hey, if you have a Satellite 5205-s705 or a Satellite p21 system.. I'd be glad if you sent them.. the Satellite Pro is a business laptop.. the Satellite is a gaming and home entertainment laptop... They are 2 totally different beasts.. the Satellite can out perform a Satellite Pro 4 to 1 on any given day... If you have a Satellite running a pIV2.8 Ghz cpu or better.. send it my way. I have used a Satellite 5205-s705 with a P IV 2.4 for the last 2 1/2 years as a desktop machine without 1 single problem what so ever... Anyhow, if you have a Satellite with a P IV 2.8 Ghz or faster CPU that you are tossing.. send it to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:46:38 am by Pestalence »

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 10:34:04 am »
Heh.  Send me one.  I can figure out how to get it working with some assistance.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:43 am »
I use a Belkin wireless router (don't recall which model) with my G4 Quicksilver, eMachine (for SFC & some of the kids games), & G4 laptop.

The stock Quicksilver is my "media machine". DVD creation (Ken Burns-like slideshows, video, etc), 8 GB music-audiobook library (mostly all purchased - some gifts from friends), DVD viewing (Karmon Harmon Soundsticks + subwoofer).

I'll probably bump up to a G5 when the next good rev appears.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:41:44 am »
I usually always watch DVDs on my computer, I have a FusionHDTV TV card for recording TV, but never have yet lol. The High Definition image comes out very clear on a monitor. Currently on the market, most TVs (including plasma screens) have nowhere near the resolution of a computer monitor. While the monitor may be smaller than a TV, its resolution brings out details you just dont see even on a good TV.
I've always used my stereo system for the sound on my computer anyway (I use it for CDs as well), just need to get the 6-speaker thing hapenning now. :)

Tracey, I'm with you on this... I don't own a TV as my comp shows 64 billion colors compared to a HDTV's 16 million colors.. My TV Tuners and the Radeon x300 only show stuff as HD, and I have Microsoft's XP Enhancement plug in for HD to force HD playback of everything I watch.. You do know that HD only works on a P IV 2.8 Ghz with HT and a minimum of 512 memory and a 7200 rpm HDD Minimum right? However even a non HD system will still show with 64 Billion colors, only without the Enhanced ovrlay that HD has.. on average a HDTV Plasma TV is still less than par than systems that have a NVidia GeForce FX 5600 and a P IV 2.0 Ghz and 512 memory.. TV's are still avout 10 years behind in Tech than PC's... as such, I run all my music and TV and DVD's and pictures on my system.. Plus it cost me a whole lot less than buying a DVD player, a HDTV Plasma, and a decent home sterio system.. probably 1/3 the cost.. but then again I don't have family here that I have to share it with, which is the only reason to have a larger TV. 90% of monitors are 10 years more advanced than HDTV's ever thought.. Monitors are designed for detailed graphical work.. like the making of a movie where a TV is only designed to show a playback of a finished work.. a TV does not need the refigned enhancements a Monitor has. Anyhow, I agree Tracey.. a Computer blows HDTV and conventional TV's out of the water any day of the week.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 03:25:42 pm »

Hodgepodge? Do you mean Hauppage?

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 03:35:55 pm »
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP115.php

Netgear makes a couple of different wireless media products similiar.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 08:24:38 pm »
I use Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2K5 (only available on specifically built power machines) which has dual Hodgepodge TV Tuner cards (to record 2 channels at one time), playback movies, music, view pictures, play games like tetris and solitare by remote, listen to internet radio, view channel listings like Digital Cable and satellites displays, etc... all on my remote controll without having to touch my system except to put blank DVD's in to save what I record to my 250 GB SATA HDD...

Yes, sorry.. was in hurry and didn't have time to check spelling.

Hodgepodge? Do you mean Hauppage?

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 08:45:09 pm »
I use a Belkin wireless router (don't recall which model) with my G4 Quicksilver, eMachine (for SFC & some of the kids games), & G4 laptop.

The stock Quicksilver is my "media machine". DVD creation (Ken Burns-like slideshows, video, etc), 8 GB music-audiobook library (mostly all purchased - some gifts from friends), DVD viewing (Karmon Harmon Soundsticks + subwoofer).

I'll probably bump up to a G5 when the next good rev appears.
YOU USE A MAC????  you are my new firend.   :)
iBook G4 here.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 10:35:31 pm »
I recently streamed a 134kbps radio station from my home PC here - all reports were good from the other end. I used the Windows Media SDK. I could do video pretty well with more bandwidth. Kinda fun - it beats having to pay for Live365, lol - although they have the bandwidth.

..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 07:08:46 pm »
I used to have a Hollywood Magic DVD decoder card in my old Pentium 233, and I plugged the AWE64 soundcard into my yamaha dsp and surround stereo... (two 4' magneplanars and three paradigms) it worked out pretty good, but looks pretty primitive compared to the stuff available now.

Now, for me, the ideal would be a Matrox Parhelia triple display with a quality 24/32 bit outboard audio system with either some moderately priced studio monitors and amp or a quality Bose surround home stereo...  ;D  <drool>  (and a deadly quiet place to appreciate it... I might even entertain liquid/peltier cooling, ahhhh....)