Topic: Anyone playing Silent Hunter III?  (Read 68645 times)

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
Re: Anyone playing Silent Hunter III?
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2005, 12:42:06 pm »
A salute to one of the best games and largest threads to hit the boards. I'll be back in a u-boat one day, it's just right now I'm having too much fun on Pirates!  ;)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:50 pm »
Why am I resurrecting this hoary old thread?  To tell a war story of course.

Haven't bought SH IV yet.  Waiting till I get wireless so DLing the massive patches won't be so painful. Still, all the talk of submarines and torpedos and such made me want to prey on hapless tankers, so until I can enlist in the virtual US Sub Force, I figured I'd go a few more rounds with the Germans.

Started a career in La Spiza as I'd never tried the Med before.  First patrol reminded me why I liked stalking merchies and why I hate planes.  Expended my torpedos, ran my deck gun out of ammo, and turned for home with a respectable score of 41,000 tons. 

Then, as I'm time compressing my way back to base, I surface a little too early...there's still enough daylight in the Med for planes to be out, and one finds me.  Dive Dive Dive.  I stay down at 100 meters or so, waiting for darkness, when my sound guy tells me there's a warship on the hydrophone.  Medium range, high speed, closing.  I'd already been heading up to periscope depth, so I take a look, and see...well...look at the picture...

I'm running with just the 1.4 patch.  No mods for heavier traffic, or anything else that makes warship encounters more common.  And I'm not in a harbor, where my previous warship kills took place.  This sucker was in deep water, north of the African coast.  What the picture doesn't show you is that in front of her was another BB, Revenge-class, and behind was a cruiser and three Hunt III class destroyers.  And me without a single blessed torpedo, a lack made more painful by the range...again, see the pic.

Though I couldn't sink her, I was excited enough I made my girlfriend look and explained why I thought the encounter was so cool.  Apparently my excitement was infectious, as she didn't even yawn!

"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2007, 06:53:26 pm »
Nice one, to bad about the lack of fish though. The game does have the cruising formation a bit wrong though. The proper cruising formations for a group such as that would have a DD, the CA, the two BB's and then two DD's. Another formation even more likely in submarine waters would be the same except for having the trailing DD's split with one on each wing.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
I miss my SH3! Dang, I was in Gibraltar and never had that kind of view!

BTW, this thread rocked, SH3 is a classic!  ;)

I remember the deck crew underwater!  :rofl:

I'm sure Andy's wife is glad he quit playing SH3.  ;)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #444 on: June 27, 2007, 10:15:22 am »
You guys have not played it until you have played it w/ GWX.

(I am a beta tester for that supermod) ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #445 on: June 27, 2007, 04:31:54 pm »
Haven't seen that one...what's it do?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #446 on: June 27, 2007, 11:24:24 pm »
Lara, you can download it from here:http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/GWX/

Have fun, also you need to do it on a clean install of SH3 for it to work properly.

Enjoy. :)

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!