Topic: Trying to play GW5, need help  (Read 958 times)

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
Trying to play GW5, need help
« on: April 02, 2005, 07:10:24 pm »
OK, here's the problem. I'm trying to log onto the D2 and play on GW5. Well, I hit the D2 button in the Multiplayer section and it gives me the 'you have a firewall or are not online' message. I am confused. I'm fully patched, OP+ and GW5 components installed(although I know that's not the problem, as I haven't even had the chance to log into D2 yet).

I'm running Windows XP and and connected to the net through a router. This is my first time trying to play D2 since I got my new computer, and the first time I've had SFC on an XP machine, so I have no idea what's wrong and was hoping one of you more technologically inclined people could help me out.

If any more info is required, I will do what I can to find and post it. Keep in mind though that I'm pretty well hardware illiterate. I know the basic stuff, but if it sounds complicated, chances are I'll just go 'huh?'

Thanks.

K-Fo
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Trying to play GW5, need help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 08:32:09 pm »
you need to put the computer in the dmz. do you use a linksys router?
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 08:33:31 pm »
Yes, it's a Linksys router... again, I'm hardware illiterate. How do I put the computer in the DMZ?

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Kougar_XC

• Another Red Shirt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:28:16 pm »

Okay, to DMZ your Linksys you need to log into it. For anyone that doesn't know open up your browser and type: http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. The address differs per company/router, but that's what it's set for on my linksys. If it doesn't work try: http://192.168.2.1 For those that have left the router on the default settings on their linksys, type admin as the password when prompted and log in.

Navigate to the page I've shown, clicking the red circle then the orange one on your router. Those options oughta be easy enough to find if it's not the same.

Now, go to Start -> Network Places and on the left side of the window, look for and click My Network Connections Now click the Local Area Connection link in the window once to select it. Now on the left window again, at the bottom this time, is the details box with your IP addy in it. You need to use the last 3 digits of your IP address and plug them into the DMZ address on your linksys page. Then enable the DMZ option and click save, and you have just exposed your computer to the internet and should be able to play SFC online! 

If you still have connection problems then you might need to directly input all the ports needed instead...

Cougar=SoV= | KOTHCougar | KOTHMegafortress

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 09:44:36 pm »
You might wish to consult this thread.

This link comes from that thread and may well fix your problem.

See you online.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 10:03:02 pm »
OK, I just tried what you suggested Nemesis.... and it worked!

Thanks for the help, you're a lifesaver. ;D

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 10:06:07 pm »
OK, I just tried what you suggested Nemesis.... and it worked!

Thanks for the help, you're a lifesaver. ;D

Just passing on help that others gave me.

See you on the server.   Enjoy yourself.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."