Topic: Bluescreen and crash on second load SFC OP  (Read 6292 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
Bluescreen and crash on second load SFC OP
« on: April 14, 2005, 09:49:01 pm »
Ya starting to get this problem.

VMM(01)  error 0A (I think) everytime I load SFC OP the second time.  On the first load everything goes fine.

Not sure what it is.

sfc op
win me

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: Bluescreen and crash on second load SFC OP
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 07:45:15 am »
Hmmm.. not sure..

Let me give a shot as to a few fixes that MIGHT work.. no guarantees...

Well the first thing I would do is get rid of ME and go with Win 98 SE or Win Xp.. Win ME has WAY too many problems.

But if you are keeping ME, I would go to Windows Updates and get all available updates there, then DL and install the streight version of DirectX 9.0c directly from the DirectX web site (the one at Windows Update may be bugged)..

Check your Video and Sound card drivers and get them from the Chipset manufacturer and not the manufacturer of your system.. as such if you are using a NVidia card, go to the NVidia web site and get the drivers.. if you are using the Radeon card, go to the ATI site and get the drivers...

Uninstall OP and delete the Taldren Software Inc game folder..

reinstall OP and take the many steps of patching to get it back to community standard, or just DL the OP Enhancement Package v3.0 and do it in one shot. The DL addy is located at

http://sfcx.no-ip.com/downloads/mirrors/Pestalence/OP_Enhancement_Package_v3.0.exe

Then all you need is a specific server installer pack to join the servers, or you can just jump on The Forge (D.Net test server) without any additional DL...

Anyhow, I would also get Ad-Aware SE v1.05 and Spybot Serach & Destroy and Microsoft Anti-Spyware and scan your system with all 3 programs to remove Spyware from your system..

After doing this, run an Anti-Virus scan on your system, then go to Trend Micro web site or Panda Web site and do a Free Online Anti-Virus scan to check to see if anything was missed..

Also go into Services.msc and turn off Windows Firewall (right click on Windows Firewall, select properties, change to Disabled, click OK.. do same for Universal Plug and Play and set Application Layer Gateway Service to manual.. reboot system...

then try your game and see if you are still having errors..

Hope that this helps.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 01:26:29 am »
Hmmm.. not sure..

Well the first thing I would do is get rid of ME and go with Win 98 SE or Win Xp.. Win ME has WAY too many problems.

But if you are keeping ME, I would go to Windows Updates and get all available updates there, then DL and install the streight version of DirectX 9.0c directly from the DirectX web site (the one at Windows Update may be bugged)..

Check your Video and Sound card drivers and get them from the Chipset manufacturer and not the manufacturer of your system.. as such if you are using a NVidia card, go to the NVidia web site and get the drivers.. if you are using the Radeon card, go to the ATI site and get the drivers...

reinstall OP and take the many steps of patching to get it back to community standard, or just DL the OP Enhancement Package v3.0 and do it in one shot. The DL addy is located at

http://sfcx.no-ip.com/downloads/mirrors/Pestalence/OP_Enhancement_Package_v3.0.exe

Then all you need is a specific server installer pack to join the servers, or you can just jump on The Forge (D.Net test server) without any additional DL...

Anyhow, I would also get Ad-Aware SE v1.05 and Spybot Serach & Destroy and Microsoft Anti-Spyware and scan your system with all 3 programs to remove Spyware from your system..

After doing this, run an Anti-Virus scan on your system, then go to Trend Micro web site or Panda Web site and do a Free Online Anti-Virus scan to check to see if anything was missed..

Also go into Services.msc and turn off Windows Firewall (right click on Windows Firewall, select properties, change to Disabled, click OK.. do same for Universal Plug and Play and set Application Layer Gateway Service to manual.. reboot system...

Hope that this helps.

ack...

well i'll start with a scan I think...

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 02:13:43 am »
Hmmm.. not sure..

Hope that this helps.

I thought OP mod was 4.0...?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 03:19:06 pm »
   This is included in it OP+4.0 that is for the Enhacement pack.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 04:41:00 am »
OP + v4.0 is included as part of the OP Enhancement Pack v3.0.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 02:12:48 pm »

Ok next...will be this....have you heard rumors that 9c is bugged or just a precvaution?

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 05:56:25 pm »
Ok Direct X 9c on board...it was already acually.

That didn't work.  Buty at least it didn't make more problems.

Getting rid of ME...hmm...I have bothe 98 SE and XP...better to go XP.  Not sure I want to try this yet.

I think the next step is to uninstall and reinstall sfc op and all patches.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 06:31:41 pm »

Ok next...will be this....have you heard rumors that 9c is bugged or just a precvaution?

Windows Updates at times, may incorrectly install an update such as DirectX 9.. this results in a corrupted fix on your system.. as a precaution, I recommended the version of DirectX 9.0c to help avoid problems..

It is the same deal with XP and Service Pack 2.. the Windows Update version of XP Service Pack 2 corrupts 1 in 5 systems because of missing components or a corrupt install.. where the full 266 MB IT version correctly upgrades a machine and adds features and functionality that is missing from the Window Update version.. the difference is about 180 MB is size of the package...

As for ME.. then your problem may be that it is time for an OS reinstall.. as it typical of Win 98SE and ME every 6 months...

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:23:19 pm »
Well I reloaded SFC OP and before the 4.0 mod I had it going even after the 2.5.5.2 patch.

Then after I loaded 4.0 it started to zone out again.

So as all else has failed I now have a new operating system...WINDOWS XP Prof...

I havent loaded anything yet but all my drivers are up to date.  The system works good so far.

I just verified my XP and "activated" it.

Next thing i guess is to reload DX 9c...

and then load SFC OP, 2.5.5.2.,4.0 patch (no modules), EZNI, mod loader (maybe),

Any suggestions on order of loading all this SFC OP stuff?  Also I'm thinking of joining the Dynaverse crowd to see what flying on their servers is like...

The only reason why I don't load the models is because I like the Taldren Gorn models better...much better.  Also I remember seeing a quick "cut" of a Gorn ship in TOS that looked a lot more like what 14 Pts EAST/Taldren came up with than the SFB model lookalike.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:19:50 pm »
Well I reloaded SFC OP and before the 4.0 mod I had it going even after the 2.5.5.2 patch.

Then after I loaded 4.0 it started to zone out again.

So as all else has failed I now have a new operating system...WINDOWS XP Prof...

I havent loaded anything yet but all my drivers are up to date. The system works good so far.

I just verified my XP and "activated" it.

Next thing i guess is to reload DX 9c...

and then load SFC OP, 2.5.5.2.,4.0 patch (no modules), EZNI, mod loader (maybe),

Any suggestions on order of loading all this SFC OP stuff? Also I'm thinking of joining the Dynaverse crowd to see what flying on their servers is like...

The only reason why I don't load the models is because I like the Taldren Gorn models better...much better. Also I remember seeing a quick "cut" of a Gorn ship in TOS that looked a lot more like what 14 Pts EAST/Taldren came up with than the SFB model lookalike.

Actually you should install XPSP 2 IT install.. 266 MB dl from Microsoft located at :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

This will give you DirectX 9.0c as well as a lot of security updates.. afterwared, go to :

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en

which is the new Windows Update web site and get all the updates there using the Custom scan method.. you may need to make several reboots and returns to this site to get all updates..

Make sure to go to Start -> Run, and type in Services.msc and find Windows Firewall and Universal Plug and Play and right click them, set the dropdown box to Disable and click OK and reboot system..

Then you can install OP and the OP Enhancement Package v3.0 and get OP up to date in about 20 min after you finish downloading the OP Enhancement Package... All you will need afterwards is the specific installers to the seriious campaigns and that is it.. check the OP Enhancement Package v3.0- thread in the Dynaverse II forum under the Enhancement sub forum for additional information on package use and content.. It has all items that you list..

As for the Models in OP Enhancement Package and the Gorn Models, IIRC, Firesoul's OP+ package hardly adds any Gorn models at all and uses mainly Taldren's original models and the D2 Model package does not alter Gorn Models at all.. now some serious server installers may require custom model install due to different directory requirements in the shiplist, but most installers, especially if I build them, will return your game back to the exact OP Enhancement Condition it was in before the server installation.. Also the OP Enhancement Package gives you the option of using the OP + with models or OP + Non Modeled version during the setup.. so you have options there..

Hope that this helps.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 08:53:08 pm »
Just one question...is there any advanrage to installing XPSP 2 IT other than getting an imbedded copy of DX 9c?

I do have a second computer in the house that runs off my cable modem but I am no professional network kind of guy.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 09:05:25 pm »
Windows Update version of XPSP 2 is 80 MB Dl size, however it is reported that the Windows Update version only uses partial fixes for XP systems thus breaking 1 in 5 machines..

The XPSP 2 IT install that is 266 MB basically reinstalls Windows XP with complete versions to the fixes instead of partial fixes.. as such only systems infected badly with spyware will error with XPSP 2 IT install..

The IT install also adds a bit more stability to XP than the Windows Update version and fixes 2 or 3 more memory leaks than the Windows Update version..

Basically the XPSP 2 IT install has 830 fixes included in it.. the Windows Update version only has 338 fixes in it.. so you can decide which to use..

Hope that this helps.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 09:23:32 pm »
Windows Update version of XPSP 2 is 80 MB Dl size, however it is reported that the Windows Update version only uses partial fixes for XP systems thus breaking 1 in 5 machines..

The XPSP 2 IT install that is 266 MB basically reinstalls Windows XP with complete versions to the fixes instead of partial fixes.. as such only systems infected badly with spyware will error with XPSP 2 IT install..

The IT install also adds a bit more stability to XP than the Windows Update version and fixes 2 or 3 more memory leaks than the Windows Update version..

Basically the XPSP 2 IT install has 830 fixes included in it.. the Windows Update version only has 338 fixes in it.. so you can decide which to use..

Hope that this helps.

Sounds reasonable but what is tp [revent the system from automatically installing the Windows Update version or some version thereof, overwriting something or gnerally screwing things so to speak...or does it matter?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 09:28:57 pm »
It does not matter.. you can install XPSP 2 IT install on top of the Windows Update version if you need to.. the IT install works as a Windows Restore in it's own right.. it will correct any errors in the Windows Update version if your system has already applied the changes..

If you are one who likes to manually update your system, with Windows XPSP 2 .. just after you install it, you have the option on how you want to configure Automatic Updates and Firewall.. I would suggest starting with Firewall OFf and Automatic Updates set to OFF if you prefer manual updating..

Also to prevent IE from automatically checking for updates at every launch, open Internet Explorer, go to Tools and select Internet Options.. click onAdvanced tab and uncheck the option stating for Internet Explorer to check for updates automatically..

This will make all updates for Windows XP and components under manual control.

If XPSP 2 from Windows Update is already installed, to turn off Automatic Updates, put your computer into classic mode.. Right click tool bar, select properties, click Start Menu tab, cut dot into Classic Start Menu.. click OK (makes XP look like Win 98 /2K with Start Menu and adds My Computer and the proper IE shortcut with Internet Options as the properties default setting [right click menu], and Network Neighborhood). Next right click on My Computer and select Properties, click on the Automatic Updates tab, and put dot into Turn Off Automatic Updates.. Click OK.. this will also put your system into Manual update mode.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 11:19:55 pm »
Well I installed the update.  No probs.  Chekc to see if DirectX was there.  It is.

Now insatlling SFC OP...but get this...when it asks for my CD key and I click on the entry field it won't let me type it in.  Is there any fix for this?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 11:35:44 pm »
Go into your SFC OP game directory and right click on StarfleetOP.exe and select Copy.. find empty spot on your desktop and Right click, and select Paste Shortcut.. use this to launch game..

Also, you can use the OP Enhancement Package v3.0 located in this thread :

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163352009.0.html

and get your game up to current standards in 1 download with all the community standards...

Just make sure you launch the game from the shortcut I just stated and the game should work properly, including CD Key entry.
 the SFCOP.exe is bugged and causes drones, repairs and keyboard to not work correctly in game.. the StarfleetOP.exe is the file to launch the game with.. so a shortcut pointing to the StarfleetOP.exe will work just the same.

Hope that this helps.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 11:43:07 pm »
Well I installed the update. No probs. Chekc to see if DirectX was there. It is.

Did you go to the Window's Update site I posted above and updated your Windows XP completely.. there has been a few additional updates (released about every 15 to 30 days by Microsoft) that are newer than the XPSP 2 package... Make sure to get all Updates from the link I posted above for Windows Update.. They do much more than just Security Updates.. Use Custom Scan option on the Windows Update site so you can see all available updates.. get them all..

Also make sure to get all the latest device drivers for your hardware from the makers of your Hardware (not your PC manufacturer.. their Drivers only cover when the machine was built, they do not support current drivers, but the Hardware manufacturers keep updating).. example.. If you have a Pentium chip, then you have an Intel board.. your system may be an HP.. the HP web site has the drivers that were available when your machine was mass built, but not current drivers.. as such you would have to go to www.intel.com and get the Chipset Drivers set specific to your Motherboard for you to have current drivers.. there is also an Identification Utility they have to find out which Chipset Drivers you will need... Same goes for Video Card, Sound Card, Mouse, Keyboard, also you may want to get the latest Firmware for your CD/DVD drives and\or your Hard Drive.. this should be done at least once a month to help keep your system up to date.

hope that this helps.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 12:10:16 am »
Well I installed the update. No probs. Chekc to see if DirectX was there. It is.

Did you go to the Window's Update site I posted above and updated your Windows XP completely.. there has been a few additional updates (released about every 15 to 30 days by Microsoft) that are newer than the XPSP 2 package... Make sure to get all Updates from the link I posted above for Windows Update.. They do much more than just Security Updates.. Use Custom Scan option on the Windows Update site so you can see all available updates.. get them all..

Also make sure to get all the latest device drivers for your hardware from the makers of your Hardware (not your PC manufacturer.. their Drivers only cover when the machine was built, they do not support current drivers, but the Hardware manufacturers keep updating).. example.. If you have a Pentium chip, then you have an Intel board.. your system may be an HP.. the HP web site has the drivers that were available when your machine was mass built, but not current drivers.. as such you would have to go to www.intel.com and get the Chipset Drivers set specific to your Motherboard for you to have current drivers.. there is also an Identification Utility they have to find out which Chipset Drivers you will need... Same goes for Video Card, Sound Card, Mouse, Keyboard, also you may want to get the latest Firmware for your CD/DVD drives and\or your Hard Drive.. this should be done at least once a month to help keep your system up to date.

hope that this helps.

I should be upp to date on drivers...

Just tested SFC OP with no patrches or mods..runs great!

and now...

(ulp)

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 01:52:11 am »
Well it works sorta...

got a 339 error witht he ship mod chooser...

also it didn't install the 4.0 shiplist...so I guess I better uninstall this thing and either try again or just do it manually.

• Commodore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 03:16:29 pm »
Ok some questions about reinstalling this 3.0 package again.

I think you said somewhere that you have to take it down in reverse oirder that it was installed correct?  or is there an automatic (uninstall everything) option that does it for you?

I ran into problem with the Mod Chooser while during install I received a 339 runtime error.  It also was asking me for a directory which confused me somewhat since it threw the error when I pushed "next" then came up with another screen that indicated its own directory.

Anyway going to try this all again.  I saw some interesting prgrams in there.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 03:50:01 pm »
OK.. this is what you do...

There is an OP Enhancement Uninstall method.. let me copy and paste from the Readme.rtf file located in your SFC OP game directory..

Uninstall Instructions :

To uninstall the OP Enhancement Pack, just go into your OP game directory and double click the OP_Enhancement_Uninstall.exe file. and follow the instructions listed in the pop up DOS window. It will uninstall each component one at a time to ensure that Orion Pirates will remain in it's original state, with exception of a couple of game file fixes for Single Player and for Dynaverse Connection.

Five components that the OP Enhancement Pack can not uninstall with it's uninstaller is the v2552 patch, the OP Bonus Content, Shipedit, Mod Chooser, and Sector Assault. To uninstall Sector Assault and Shipedit, use Window's Add/Remove Programs. To Remove Mod Chooser and Mod Chooser created files, delete the Mod Chooser and Preset folders out of Orion Pirates game directory. To remove patch v2552, Firesoul's Mini-Updater and OP Bonus Content, Uninstall and reinstall Orion Pirates.

Now, if you reinstall the game after this.. Do NOT change any file paths that the individual programs use.. this package is based to work off of your system registry to work with Orion Pirates.. changing the install path will error a lot of items.. this installs into your SFC OP game directory for ease of install..

Install the game to the path that the CD wants to install to.. this is easiest for a stable playing game and to make sure that the OP Enhancement Package installs correctly..

During install method, after the mini-updater finishes, Mod Chooser will install, it must install into your OP game directory (path automatically found by way of system registry.. as such, do not alter install path).. after it installs, it will launch and back up your Taldren Original Config.. click Exit when you see a Mod selection screen..

Continue in the black dos window to install OP +

After OP + is installed, Mod Chooser will launch again.. this will put up a little window with a Blank.. type in OP + and click OK, Pick an empty slot and click OK.. this slot will now be holding OP + in an unaltered state.. .. click Exit again and continue with OP Enhancement Install Dos Window...

Once it is finished, you can then manually launch Mod Chooser and pick between Taldren Original setup or OP +, the other 3 slots will be blank...

For further usage of the Mod Chooser, please refer to the OP Enhancement Readme.rtf file located in your Orion Pirates game directory...

P.S. I'm going to post Usage for Mod Chooser that individuals can do AFTER OP Enhancement is completely finished..

Mod Chooser Usage Instructions (Please Read all instructions prior to installing the Mod)

1) Read the information of the Mod before installing.. make sure that your game is in the settings required by the Mod.. as such, after Orion Pirates install, you should have only 1 Mod installed.. Mod Chooser will have 2 choices (if you installed Orion Pirates Enhancement Package correctly).. 1 for Taldren's Original setup and the other for the OP + setup. Please check with the instructions of the Mod for which setup your game needs to be in prior to the Mod Install.

2) Mod Chooser will back up everything that the Mod Installs EXCEPT for mission scripts.. if the Mod is installing Mission Scripts, then it is highly recommended to back up your existing mission scripts into a separate directory prior to installing the Mod... the Mission Scripts will have to be manually swapped with the ones added by the Mod... Current Dynaverse Servers are using the mission scripts currently installed by Orion Pirates Enhancement Package v3.0, however some Mods may contain custom missions and/or older versions of scripts that are in the Enhancement Pack and to preserve the integrity of the scripts currently installed, a backup of the scripts is recommended... If you Mod is for a Dynaverse Server.. 9 times out of 10 all you will need is the Shiplist and ftrlist files, the model.siz file and the Met_NWConfig.scr (backup original script file). If a server is using Custom models, then you will need their Models install... for the easy way to install for a Dynaverse, Backup your Scripts folder, install the Server Installer which the Dynaverse operator will provide, make a backup of the scripts folder again and label it for the specific server (or compare to your original scripts), then follow the steps below, and finally uninstall the Dynaverse Installer.. Mod Chooser will now have the Dynaverse set-up for ease of switching.. all you will need to do is put in the proper back-up of Scripts for the server in which you are playing on...

3) Install the Mod. When installing a Mod on top of Orion Pirates Enhancement Pack, Mod Chooser will allow you to assign it to a new slot provided that the Mod contains a new shiplist.

4) After installing the Mod, go into your Assets\Specs folder and check the last edited date on the shiplist.txt and ftrlist.txt files, compare the files to the shiplist.txt and ftrlist.txt files located in your Orion Pirates\MetaAssets folder.. if they differ in date and time, then copy the shiplist and ftrlist from Assets\Specs and OVERWRITE the ones in MetaAssets.

5) Double Click the Mod Chooser desktop Icon.

6) Mod Chooser will check for any altered shiplist files in the Assets\Specs folder...

A) If Mod Chooser asks you to save the new Mod, then procede streight to step 7.

B) If Mod Chooser does not ask you to save the new Mod, then follow these steps :

a) Close Mod Chooser and go into your Assets\Specs directory and open your shiplist.txt file with either Notepad or Excel.

b) In the topmost line of the shiplist, find a spot in the first sentence and add a period (.)

c) Save shiplist.txt and then copy the file.

d) Open your Orion Pirates\MetaAssets folder and paste the shiplist into this folder. Say Yes to Overwrite.

e) Re-launch Mod Chooser and continue with Step 7.

7) Give the Mod a new name then go to the next step of the Mod Chooser setup process..

8) You can choose to assign the Mod to a new empty slot or to overwrite a different mod already installed.. it does not matter which slot you choose.. it will erase the chosen slot and add the content of your current Mod to your chosen slot.

9) Decide which mode you want to play Orion Pirates in, launch Mod Chooser, pick the mod you wish to play... the Mod you currently are using will be greyed out and unselectable.

Mod Chooser - Updating or Overwriting a currently installed Mod

1) This is to be done prior to applying an update to your current game mod.

2) Launch Mod Chooser and make sure that your game in in the Mod mode that you wish to update.

2) Go inside the SFCOP Mod Chooser folder located inside your Orion Pirates game directory

3) Open your Filedata.ini file using notepad.

4) Look under the [Names] section and find the name of the mod in which you are going to alter or update. Remember the CMod# that is assigned to the name of the Mod in which you are altering or updating.

5) Look up to find [Shiplist_Files_Sizes] and [Ftrlist_Files_Sizes]. find the CMod# listed that corresponds to the Mod that you are altering or updating. Set the values of only that CMod# to equal 0.

6) Go down this file and find the section listed as [CMod#] (where # is the same number as the Mod you are altering or updating as found in step 4) and set all values to False.

7) Close and save the Filedata.ini

8) Go inside the Bin folder and go inside the CMod folder corresponding to the Mod you wish to alter or Update as found in step 4.

9) Delete all files inside the GFs, Models, Mouse, Sounds, Specs, Strings, and Textures folders while keeping the GFs, Models, Mouse, Sounds, Specs, Strings, and Textures folders themselves. Each of these folders need to be present but empty.

10) Install your Update or make alterations to your Modded game.

11) After installing the Mod, go into your Assets\Specs folder and check the last edited date on the shiplist.txt and ftrlist.txt files, compare the files to the shiplist.txt and ftrlist.txt files located in your Orion Pirates\MetaAssets folder.. if they differ in date and time, then copy the shiplist and ftrlist from Assets\Specs and OVERWRITE the ones in MetaAssets.

12) Double Click the Mod Chooser desktop Icon.

13) Mod Chooser will check for any altered shiplist files in the Assets\Specs folder...

A) If Mod Chooser asks you to save the new Mod, then procede streight to step 14.

B) If Mod Chooser does not ask you to save the new Mod, then follow these steps :

a) Close Mod Chooser and go into your Assets\Specs directory and open your shiplist.txt file with either Notepad or Excel.

b) In the topmost line of the shiplist, find a spot in the first sentence and add a period (.)

c) Save shiplist.txt and then copy the file.

d) Open your Orion Pirates\MetaAssets folder and paste the shiplist into this folder. Say Yes to Overwrite.

e) Re-launch Mod Chooser and continue with Step 14.

14) Give the Mod a new name then go to the next step of the Mod Chooser setup process..

15) You can choose to assign the Mod to a new empty slot or to overwrite a different mod already installed.. it does not matter which slot you choose.. it will erase the chosen slot and add the content of your current Mod to your chosen slot.

16) Decide which mode you want to play Orion Pirates in, launch Mod Chooser, pick the mod you wish to play... the Mod you currently are using will be greyed out and unselectable.

Mod Chooser - Removing a currently installed Mod

1) Launch Mod Chooser and make sure that your game is in the Taldren Game mode.

2) Go inside the SFCOP Mod Chooser folder located inside your Orion Pirates game directory

3) Open your Filedata.ini file using notepad.

4) Look under the [Names] section and find the name of the mod in which you are going to remove. Remember the CMod# that is assigned to the name of the Mod in which you are removing.

5) Look up to find [Shiplist_Files_Sizes] and [Ftrlist_Files_Sizes]. find the CMod# listed that corresponds to the Mod that you are removing. Set the values of only that CMod# to equal 0.

6) Go down this file and find the section listed as [CMod#] (where # is the same number as the Mod you are removing as found in step 4 and set all values to False.

7) Close and save the Filedata.ini

8) Go inside the Bin folder and go inside the CMod folder corresponding to the Mod you wish to remove as found in step 4.

9) Delete all files inside the GFs, Models, Mouse, Sounds, Specs, Strings, and Textures folders while keeping the GFs, Models, Mouse, Sounds, Specs, Strings, and Textures folders themselves. Each of these folders need to be present but empty.

You now have an Empty Mod Slot.

Hope that this helps.

P.P.S. If you want to install to a different drive/folder, then let me know what Path you install Orion Pirates to and I will tell you what file shortcuts to alter to make sure everything works... The package is based on Joe Q. Public method of install.. Using the Standard C:\Program Files\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates directory..

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 02:42:39 am »
Ok I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

JUst so see what's going on I tried to install the mod chooser by itself by downloading.  The thing still errors out.  Looking for some file.  MSCOMCTL.oxc or on of its components is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Anyway I've decided to just do a limited install of 4.0 ... but I cna't find firesoul's flle here on the website...is that 3.0 thing the only placde it exists?  I know I downloaded it from somewhere once...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 08:10:26 am »
If you have the Enhancement Pack installed.. copy the folder in SFC OP called Installs, this contains all the individual installer programs, including the OP +....

You can run them manually from outside the SFC OP game directory..

Do not remove the Installs folder from the OP Directory, just make a copy of it...

Then you can remove the OP Enhancement Package and reinstall manually from the copy of the Installs folder.

If you think you will need to download the file you already have on your system... http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163350701.0.html

that is the OP + v4.0 thread

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 02:18:42 pm »
Wow she's running great now with 4.0.  Just gotta load 1.1+ scripts for the fests and magnium man's coop ace and I will be up to date for most everything on gamespy except UAW...

For now all I want to do is put up 4.0 and try to get the mod chooser working...so I'll let you know how things go on that score.  I hope its not another missing component from windows.

Once I get mod chooser going I'lll add UAW and all the dynaverse stuff...and maybe ship edit .. any guess on why my mod chooser won't instalL?  Can I manually simulate what mod chooser does...I remember Tar Minataur had a DOS scipt that did something like that a long time ago...

• Commodore
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 06:04:26 pm »
Wow she's running great now with 4.0.  Just gotta load 1.1+ scripts for the fests and magnium man's coop ace and I will be up to date for most everything on gamespy except UAW...

For now all I want to do is put up 4.0 and try to get the mod chooser working...so I'll let you know how things go on that score.  I hope its not another missing component from windows.

Once I get mod chooser going I'lll add UAW and all the dynaverse stuff...and maybe ship edit .. any guess on why my mod chooser won't instalL?  Can I manually simulate what mod chooser does...I remember Tar Minataur had a DOS scipt that did something like that a long time ago...

By the way thanks for all your help!

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 09:55:04 pm »
Hmm.. let me check on the files it requires and make you a patch to see if it will work.. I'll start with the file you listed above.. OCX seems like a system file, but may be installed by Mod Chooser.. if it installs to Windows directory and you have the Windows directory protected, then that may be the problem.. let me check it out..

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 10:55:38 am »
K thanks!

ABout that other project your working on...great stuff!  I am still running it with no probs...gonna be a  lot of happy people around here soon...