Topic: Opinions on a TOS mod  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Opinions on a TOS mod
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:13:17 pm »
As some of you know, I am making a TOS mod. While this mod is for bridge commander and not sfc, the basics still apply as far as what ships should be like.

I'm curious to what people would think about seeing green klingon vessels. I am having a hard time finding a decent D7 to use because of this issue. If I use desty novas, which is a little to "gleaming grey" (meaning it's not dull/dark enough for my personal taste) then I have a ship that sticks out like a sore thumb next to vessels from people such as Jeff wallace (think fleetdock 13 klingons such as the tri nacelled C classes or his old bop's). On the otherhand, if I use a colored D7 people think it looks too modern. I'm also debating on if I should simply take the textures for the green klingon vessels and make them "greyscale" except for engines. Does anyone think this would be a good way of making these vessels look more fitting for TOS? Opinions?

Offline Rogue

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Opinions on a TOS mod
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:39:40 pm »
Instead of grey scale, have you played with reducing the color saturation?

I use this tool in Paint Shop fairly often for that purpose. When I see starship models colored in too vivid a mannor it tends to ruin the illusion of being a large space vessel. You would have to think that most such starships would be more subtle in color. Especially if one is a combat vessel. It might make sense if it was built to take advantage of a reflective hull but it would probably be more desirable to be stealthy. Of course it would be little use against torpedoes and drones/missiles. Usually what I do is cut the parts of the texture out and save them to the side, if I wish to preserve that detail, before I adjust the saturation. Then it is easy enough to paste them back in after that adjustment.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 12:40:46 am »
hmm, perhaps I will try that. I have a jeff walalce klingon over here that is not a bop where I could try both methods and see what I get. Having colorfull bop's might stay a feature, since the romulans decorated theirs with a bright red bird anyways. Larger warships though I think they wouldn't waste paint.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 01:37:31 am »
Check out Atrahasis' boards. He's working on quite a few new versions (He's got a couple complete already). It appears that he's trying to make every studio model version. There might be something he's working on that'll fit the bill.

http://atrahasis.proboards25.com/
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 05:32:34 am »
Oh really...I guess he's been busier than I thought. Now, if only lord schtupp would finish those damn tos carriers with all them sweet auxilary craft I'd be set. Not that I need more feds but I kinda hoped they'd be done intime to include them...someone poke him with a big stick... ;D

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 09:24:10 am »
Yeah Atra's definately got a D7 for ya.
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:43:46 pm »
Yeah Atra's definately got a D7 for ya.
-MP

Yea I just solved my D7 problem. For roms too. And he's got that nifty D7 like C5 I think I'll throw in too.