Topic: Manny Coto to pitch new Trek series to Paramount  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Manny Coto to pitch new Trek series to Paramount
« on: April 16, 2005, 11:41:43 am »
From Trek Web

Sounds like a plan to me, although I look forward to his work on 24.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Re: Manny Coto to pitch new Trek series to Paramount
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:44:11 am »
What bugs me is that there was plenty of room to move around in Enterprise, but B&B didn't want to work in those confines.  Instead they just wanted to jack around with timelines and crap. 
A new series?  Post TNG is predictable, and makes sense.  Still, I'd like to see Pre TNG- post TMP series.  Maybe with that beautiful ENterprise B.  There are plenty of stories from that era that can be worked with, lots of species to be discovered, plus you don't have to work under the super tech lmitations that would be presented by a post TNG series.  I mean let's face it, at the end of TNG era there's not much that couldn't be done with their tech. 
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:12:31 pm »
Maybe with that beautiful ENterprise B.

Careful on how you describe it, Clark.  A lot of John Eaves' bashers think he butchered the Excelsior in turning it into the -B.  ;D

But, as much as I'd like to see something like that, it's time to give the prequel concept a rest and move forward.  Popular entertainment has been flooded with nothing but prequel-this and prequel-that since The Phantom Menace came out six years ago and in most of the cases I've seen, it's all been a series of creative failures.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 02:26:52 pm »
Maybe with that beautiful ENterprise B.

Careful on how you describe it, Clark.  A lot of John Eaves' bashers think he butchered the Excelsior in turning it into the -B.  ;D

But, as much as I'd like to see something like that, it's time to give the prequel concept a rest and move forward.  Popular entertainment has been flooded with nothing but prequel-this and prequel-that since The Phantom Menace came out six years ago and in most of the cases I've seen, it's all been a series of creative failures.

I think I can agree with your point.  Hollywood is almost completely flooded with remakes, rehashes and prequels whose only purpose is to draw in people based off of a previous fan base.  They're almost always disappointing too.  My best point about a post TMP series is that there is a whole era of ships to use and create, hoards of species that showed up in TOS and TMP that have never been used beyond background images, and tons of TNG races that can be introducedthat were otherwise treated as races that are well known in TNG.  There is also plenty of space to discover that is uncovered in TNG.
The way I see it, a post TNG series would be stuck either exploring the delta, gamma and beta quadrants, or have to leave the galaxy altogether in order to strike new ground.  I don't see how it's a bad idea to go with a time period not well covered in the saga.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 02:38:44 pm »
Unfortunately, Clark, a post-TMP series has the same pratfalls as a pre-TOS series like ENT.  If it deviates even the slightest from the preconceived notions of what the fans expect, there'll be trouble.  The safer bet is to move forward, where there aren't any expectations at all and the writers have total freedom to create and to explore the universe that they create.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 02:45:10 pm »
Unfortunately, Clark, a post-TMP series has the same pratfalls as a pre-TOS series like ENT.  If it deviates even the slightest from the preconceived notions of what the fans expect, there'll be trouble.  The safer bet is to move forward, where there aren't any expectations at all and the writers have total freedom to create and to explore the universe that they create.

I agree, really.  I just think what I want in a prequel series like this is something that will never happen- go to areas that have not been shown before, stories that haven't been told, or even hinted at.  Instead, networks prefer "formulas" which rely solely on past successes, and therefore will not really tread into new creative areas, because they can't predict how much money they will make off of it (if any).  The same will be true of moving forward, but it will be manifest in different ways. 
In any event, it doesn't matter.  In a few weeks trek will end, and all we'll have is reruns for quite a while (assuming trek ever gets off the ground again).And when it comes to a new series, I doubt they will listen to the fan base.  They never seem to.  We'll get another voyager, most likely.
Small wonder why I watch less and less TV these days.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 06:56:11 pm »
I'm surprised that Coto doesnt want to jump right in, given all those "loyal" Trek fans out there that demonstrated their true commitment to Enterprise.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 10:23:07 pm »
I'm surprised that Coto doesnt want to jump right in, given all those "loyal" Trek fans out there that demonstrated their true commitment to Enterprise.

You mean all 10 of them...

:P

Addendum:  Just for those hypersensitives out there...the above statement was meant as a tease and a joke...no malevolence was intended.  Just for clarification.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 12:16:19 pm »
Going to the prequel, especially to a series with as much history as Star Trek has, is suicidal.  I would say most Trek fans are Rabid, but the word doesn't really convey how strongly they feel about their shows.
   Going forward means you don't have to worry about pissing off the older fans, and you can be creative, rather than having to do three months research to find out if Capt. Archer really did have sex with the Borg Queen on Centauri V.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 08:50:28 pm »
what cold be cool is the time ship that we see in voyager, to see what the do, the can scan time as the can scan space, what will this ship do?, the can go in time and what will the be doing?, or someting after voyager, a few year after and explore the delta quadrant or explore another galaxie.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 01:13:06 am »
Noooo, no more time stuff.  No time ship, no time directorate, no time anything.  They've beat it to death and then just kept on beating it.  Give it a couple of seasons without any time travel and maybe slip one episode in then, but give it a break.  Let us see Trek, not B&B's amazing time follies.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 08:09:24 am »
But i wanna see a timetravel episode where a crew goes back to TOS Balance of Terror and do stuff!

* Darth Sidious is EVIL  ;D

DS edit - corrected episode name

Noooo, no more time stuff.  No time ship, no time directorate, no time anything.  They've beat it to death and then just kept on beating it.  Give it a couple of seasons without any time travel and maybe slip one episode in then, but give it a break.  Let us see Trek, not B&B's amazing time follies.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 12:32:59 pm by Darth Sidious »

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 12:26:05 pm »
Then do it after a couple of seasons of not having any time travel, and find a decent way to do it.  I would guess you mean Balance of Terror, but why?  It's such a terrific episode in it's own right, why would you want anyone from another time messing about with one of the better tactical victories for the Federation?  Are you anti-Kirk, hoping that only an intervention from the future could have caused the victory and it was due very little to Kirk's abilities?  I'm very anti messing with Balance of Terror, I think.  Besides, how will they explain the non-ridge headed Romulans (you know, Romulans the way they are supposed to be, not the really lame ones)?

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 12:32:21 pm »
Sarcasm ;)  Note the evil / me.

I love Balance of Terror.  What i was thinking was going back to stop someone else from interfering in the events without actually getting involved directly (no not even Trouble with Tribbles involved).  Just there, to stop something outside the timeline from happening.

Then do it after a couple of seasons of not having any time travel, and find a decent way to do it.  I would guess you mean Balance of Terror, but why?  It's such a terrific episode in it's own right, why would you want anyone from another time messing about with one of the better tactical victories for the Federation?  Are you anti-Kirk, hoping that only an intervention from the future could have caused the victory and it was due very little to Kirk's abilities?  I'm very anti messing with Balance of Terror, I think.  Besides, how will they explain the non-ridge headed Romulans (you know, Romulans the way they are supposed to be, not the really lame ones)?

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 02:56:49 pm »

Balance of Terror is probably my favorite TOS episode, so I won't disagree.  There is no point in a time travel episode to visit it.  BTW, did you know that, originally, the Romulan ship was supposed to look almost identical to the Enterprise (only with a bird painted underneath).  Stiles was supposed to realize that the Romulans had spies in starfleet and had stolen their technology (that's why he recommended guards be posted on every deck to prevent sabotage).  While it would add even more uncertainty about Spock's loyalty, I think I like the way it is now better.

As for Romulan ridges, whenever someone brings this up, I will always point out the fact that the majority of Romulans wore helmets (probably to prevent the production crew from having to give them ears).  But it is interesting to note that these helmets also do a nice job to cover Romulan forheads, in case they had ridges.  Also, Spock could walk around Romulus in Unification without anyone noticing that he didn't have ridges.  I usually just suggest that either some Romulans don't have ridges, or no Romulans have ridges and they exist just to make sure the audience knows the difference.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 03:45:13 am »
I figured the thing with Spock was that he was hiding away in the underground, he wasn't walking around in the middle of town (unless I'm just not remembering).  And the guys did have helmets, but there have been a lot of Romulans in TOS and TMP who didn't wear helmets and they were just like the Vulcan's, no ridges.  I had hoped that they wouldn't have ridges in Enterprise, but alas it was not to be so.  One of the greatest things about the Romulans was that they looked identical, and thus the potential for espionage was limitless.  At least the Klingons looked cool with ridges added, the Romulans just look dumb, imo.