Topic: Protections for computer  (Read 2983 times)

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
Protections for computer
« on: April 29, 2005, 10:33:16 pm »
Well, seems my updates for Norton has been a year old, so it has expired today.  My computer decided to 'catch a cold', and every time I try to go to the checkout to pay for my 2005 upgrade, I get the page cannot be displayed screen.  I need to get a good protection for us comuter illiterate, that has similar features for a reasonable ($70.00 or less) price. 
   Any Guru's got advice?
   I am on a cable modem, so downloading is not a problem. 

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
Re: Protections for computer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:40:29 pm »
A little more info, some of the sites that I normally visit, I cannot post on.  I can log in, then, when I hit the post button, it automatically logs me back out.  This is not normal, and only I seem to have this problem.  (I as in, all the users on my computer at home).  Any ideas would be appreciated.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:49:09 pm »
As far as anti virus goes before spending any $$ go here and look at the free trials offered: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

If you need a firewall check out Zone Alarm, also free. Been using it for approximately 3 yaers without too much of a problem.

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:59:19 pm »
Well, seems my updates for Norton has been a year old, so it has expired today.  My computer decided to 'catch a cold', and every time I try to go to the checkout to pay for my 2005 upgrade, I get the page cannot be displayed screen.  I need to get a good protection for us comuter illiterate, that has similar features for a reasonable ($70.00 or less) price. 
   Any Guru's got advice?
   I am on a cable modem, so downloading is not a problem. 

I'm no guru.  I'm a computer idiot.   But this works for me.

1.  Norton.
2.  Zone Alarm  ('tis free)
3.  Spy Bot  ('tis free)
4.  Ad-Aware ('tis free)

Now I don't do any high end or risky computer work.  Just basic internet use and basic off line type stuff.

As for your current problem . . .  You'll need some tech help sound like.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:08:42 pm »
A little more info, some of the sites that I normally visit, I cannot post on. I can log in, then, when I hit the post button, it automatically logs me back out. This is not normal, and only I seem to have this problem. (I as in, all the users on my computer at home). Any ideas would be appreciated.

This sounds like something is blocking your first party cookies or blocking session cookies..

If using Internet Explorer.. open the browser, click on tools, select Internet Options, click on the privacy tab, click on the advanced button, put a check mark into Override Automatic Cookie Handeling, then set First Party to Always, Third party toNever, then put a check into always allow session coookies.. then go and log in and try posting using IE.. it should work just fine then..
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 12:29:57 am »
Well, Shazbot.  It didn't work.  Still have the same issue.  I've downloaded AVG again, (As per WW directions.  Good idea.)  Any magic button to take the computer back a day in time so I can figure out WTH is going on?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:41:31 am »
If you are running XP.. use System Restore

Easy way to go back..

Start button -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

You can return your system back a day or a few days depending on your needs.

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:56:21 am »
Well, Pestalence, I do appreciate all the help so far, but the stupid thing won't go back since Norton expired (Nice headsup.  Never knew my time was up until too late).  So, I stil cannot access the sites, and I can't find my XP disc to do a system reboot with, either.
   I tried setting up the Internet options per your directions earlier (Thanks once again), but that didn't work either.  Guess I am SOL for a bit.
   I am going to see if I can't dig up my disk over the next few days.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 12:58:36 am »
And it gets even better! I can't even boot up my MSN Messenger!

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 01:56:25 am »
Angel.. another option, I dunno if it will help or not..

Reboot system, press and hold f8 after your system splash screen, but before the windows loading screen appears..

select Option 1 to go into safe mode..

go into add/remove programs and uninstall Norton..and any symantec software..

then delete the symantec folder from program files, any norton folders as welll.. then go into program files, common settings and delete any symantec folders located there.. then if you have a registry cleaner, use it and remove any semantec / norton entries, or remove them manually using Regedit and the Find feature.. search for both norton and Symantec and remove all entries.. reboot system and then try system restore... this may or may not work.. a 50/50 shot.. but once you have Norton removed, you should also run a spyware scan on your system, then launch Internet Explorer and select Tools, the Internet Options, clear your cookies and temp internet files.. now this will clear any forums that you have automatic login on, but that is easy to recover later by logging back in.. next in the IE properties, go to the programs tab and click on Reset Web Settings and then click OK in the pop up box.. close the IE properties box, reboot and then try looking up the pages you were trying to find before.

Hopefully this should work..

also running an SFC /scannow from command prompt with your XP disk in the CD Rom will correct any protected windows system files that may be corrupted.. a reboot will need to be done for corrected files to take effect.. during the reboot, a scan disk is recommended with Automatically Fix File Errors enabled..

..as a last resort, DL and install on the top of your OS the XPSP 2 IT install (266 MB).. this works as SFC /Scannow, but forces your system files to repair where SFC /scannow may fail on them.

Hope that this helps.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 01:45:14 pm »
WootWootWoot!!!  Went and bought a new upgrade of Norton, and now everything is back up and running!  YAAYY!!  Thanks to Pest, Elvis, Stephen and Will.  You guys help was worth it's weight in Taco's and enchilada's. 

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 01:55:36 pm »
Well shoot, tacos sound Pretty good right now.

Seriously, I don't know If I helped you that much, I just took your phone call, Chased a few Cows, and called you back.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 02:30:11 pm »
Stephen, sometimes just being able to bounce an idea off someone that you trust really helps a lot.  I've got my new Norton installed, the SP installed, and it looks good so far.  Hopefully, I haven't spoken too soon, but I am happy about this at the moment.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 04:05:11 pm »
WootWootWoot!!!  Went and bought a new upgrade of Norton, and now everything is back up and running!  YAAYY!!  Thanks to Pest, Elvis, Stephen and Will.  You guys help was worth it's weight in Taco's and enchilada's. 

That makes me a little scared, you could only view the Internet normally again only after Norton was upgraded??!?  What the heck is Norton doing that would cause that kind of behavior?

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 04:54:33 pm »
What happened was my Norton had expired, Javora.  I got a few viruses that slipped past AVG and another free scanner I usually run, and they completely locked me out of ANY secure site, which is what I needed to access to upgrade Norton.  Wound up having to go to the store and buying a new copy, then running it, doing the upgrade, and now my system is back up to snuff.
   It wasn't Norton that did it, it was what happened when I didn't have Norton that caused my problems.