Topic: Microsoft Announces New "Longhorn Advance Licensing"  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Microsoft Announces New "Longhorn Advance Licensing"
« on: June 13, 2005, 09:09:57 pm »
Link to full story

Microsoft Announces New "Longhorn Advance Licensing"
By Russell Skingsley

Redmond, WA - Microsoft announced today a new licensing scheme to help customers with issues regarding long delays in the arrival of Longhorn, the next generation Windows operating system. The new licensing scheme allows customers to pay for Longhorn licenses now, ahead of the arrival of the software itself.

A company long lambasted for lack of innovation has answered critics in the strongest possible manner with the new licensing scheme that shows lateral thinking combined with their undeniable talent for license enforcement.

Bill Landefeld, vice president for worldwide licensing at Microsoft said the new license system would allow customers to start paying for the new features even though they are not yet available.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Microsoft Announces New "Longhorn Advance Licensing"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 06:48:17 am »
Often criticized for hyping products years before readiness, Microsoft believes this scheme will silence their detractors. "You know a product is real when you are paying for the licenses," said Mr. Landefeld. "This system will help customers understand that Longhorn is here and now."

You left out the best part Nemesis.  No Mr. Landefeld, we will know the product is real when it is installed on to our system and not before.  Although the phrase "be carefull what you wish for" springs to mind.

>:(  ::)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Microsoft Announces New "Longhorn Advance Licensing"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 06:20:54 pm »
You left out the best part Nemesis.  No Mr. Landefeld, we will know the product is real when it is installed on to our system and not before.  Although the phrase "be carefull what you wish for" springs to mind.

>:(  ::)

I try never to quote the entire article.  I quote enough that if people are interested they can follow the link and read the original source. 

I wish they would do one on all the things promised for long horn but now pushed into future product releases.   
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."