Topic: An Idea for a late TMP/Lost Years fed . . anyone interested?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Arcanum

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hey all,

Been thinking about this ship for awhile but . . I don't have the ability to mod or kitbash so hopefully I can interest a modder in this one!

Basic discription of parts  ;D

Saucer: Excelsior class style
Neck: TMP Constitution class with 1 rear ward torpedo port
Hull: Ambasador class minus the lip around the rear/shuttle bay
Engine Pylons: TMP Constitution class, mount Constitution style
Engines: Excelsior class.

I think she would be a sweet looking ship myself, what do you think?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
Re: An Idea for a late TMP/Lost Years fed . . anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:46:58 pm »
It sounds somewhat similar to the Lexington class.  It might be interesting to play around with that.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:09:53 pm »
Check Starship Schematic's webpage IIRC I've seen one like the one you've just described.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:20:29 pm »
Hey all,
Been thinking about this ship for awhile but . . I don't have the ability to mod or kitbash so hopefully I can interest a modder in this one!
Basic discription of parts  ;D

Saucer: Excelsior class style
Neck: TMP Constitution class with 1 rear ward torpedo port
Hull: Ambasador class minus the lip around the rear/shuttle bay
Engine Pylons: TMP Constitution class, mount Constitution style
Engines: Excelsior class.

I think she would be a sweet looking ship myself, what do you think?

There'd be a bit of a scaling issue with the engines and saucer coming from an Excelsior and the rest primarily from a Connie... I iimagine that yu'd be scaling closer to Excelsior size than Connie?

I have all the basic parts, so I could probably do this... just hoping to get some more details on what you were looking for..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Arcanum

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:28:04 am »
Mr Tricorder Models Please:   ;)

Thanks I had to go look that one up, yes something like Mackies USS Ironcross is the one made in that style, which uses a stretched Connie style lower hull.  This is the one you meant too MP?

http://www.the-tcs.net/ships/images/ironcross.jpg

Atheorhaven:  8)

Yes the size would be approximately on scale with an Excelsior, given the saucer and the engines with the larger Ambasador secondary  hull.  I took another at look at the USS Banting that Constitution variant with Excelsior engines she also has TMP Connie style engine pylons.  The Ambasador secondary hull might need a rescaling but I am not sure, the Excelsior saucer/engines should be OK. 

The idea for a Connie "neck" was some newer style ships (Excelsiors etc) have a large thick style neck and are abit less graceful there (short and wide) that and I like the forward torpedo bay on the TMP Connies :D. Rear torpedo tube on the neck ala TNG.

Frontal profile would be like a Constitution, classic Fed with the engins just showing above the saucer.

I was thinking of this ship in terms of the ship between the Excelsiors and the Ambasadors.  A late TMP cross over to Lost Years Era, I thought she would be a heavy cruiser/battlecruiser.

Thx!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 05:42:19 am »
Bantings Excelsior Style warp engines are scaled down. Reason being is that the Physical model uses the the amt model  parts to make her up.  ;D Thanks for looking at her for reference  ;D

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 09:20:05 am »
The Lexington actually looks roughly like this: http://www.universeatwar.org/drs/downloads/fed/lexington_angle1.jpg

That model is a fairly accurate recreation of the original Lexington from Klingon Academy, it's a midway between the Connie and the Excelsior though, not the Lost Era ship you want to make.

No offence intended Arcanum but I don't think mishmashing all those different parts together is going to look very good, there are a few designs on the net that bridge the Excelsior -> Ambassador gap very nicely but they are all new builds rather than kitbashes that meld features from both ships into a consitent design rather than just sticking the different bits together. Obviously it's your project and whatever you think is good is what you should make, that's the reason we're all here, just throwing in my €0.02.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:27:39 pm »
It really all depends on the texturing.  It may not be a good representation of a lost era ship, but it would be an interesting design.  If you can give it a good paint job, you might not look quite so kitbash-esque may actually be a pretty cool design.  Just my $0.02 (which unfortunately isn't worth as much as S33K100's €0.02).

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 02:39:40 pm »
The benefits of a (relatively) stable economy I guess. Seriously though yes textures will make a big difference, if you pick a style, probably that of the Excelsior for your ship, and make new textures for the Ambassador and Connie-R parts to match up it can mask their presence quite well, can't think of any examples right now, though I've had to do that to some parts I've used in some kitbashes of mine in the past.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 12:34:09 pm »
My Mark 6 Connie ships have a rear firing torpedo launcher on the back of the neck.  I borrowed the idea from WZ's Lethality model.  Ask WZ if he'll allow the parts to be used. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.