Topic: SpaceX to attempt 2nd Falcon launch  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
SpaceX to attempt 2nd Falcon launch
« on: March 18, 2007, 06:31:38 pm »
Link to full article

f the results are favorable, SpaceX may prepare the Falcon 1 rocket to fly sometime during a four-day launch window that opens March 19. The test flight has been delayed several times due to equipment and range safety issues.

The planned space shot is a demonstration flight for the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and will be the second test launch of SpaceX’s Falcon 1 booster since its unsuccessful debut last year.

Since that initial flight, Musk said, SpaceX engineers have made a host of improvements to the rocket and its launch site infrastructure.

The Falcon 1 rocket is a 68-foot (21-meter) booster with a reusable first stage designed to parachute down to an ocean splashdown for later recovery. SpaceX has scheduled a total of three Falcon 1 launches for 2007.

Hopefully this will go without a bang.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SpaceX to attempt 2nd Falcon launch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »
Not a lot of info yet on the launch but it was not totally successful.

1st attempt today was automatically aborted after the engines were ignited.  I don't recall ever hearing of an abort shutting down the engines after ignition had already occurred but before liftoff so that may be a first.

The 2nd attempt lost telemetry  5 minutes into the flight and it is thought that there was a 2nd stage failure of some type yet to be determined. 

Link

"I think I'll characterize this as a very good day for SpaceX. We successfully reached space and really retired almost all the risk associated with the rocket. So I feel very good about where things are.

"Stage separation also went very well. Separation events are the No. 2 killer of rockets after engine issues. Both the stage separation and fairing separation went flawlessly. Second stage ignition also was perfect, and we achieved steady state burn on the second stage.

"We did encounter late in the second stage burn a roll-control anomaly, which you may have seen on the video webcast. We feel that is something that's pretty straight forward to address. So all in all we feel pretty good about this launch.

"This was a test launch, which I think most people are aware. So, yes, I think it was a pretty good test."

At this point it is unsure if the Falcon achieved orbit or not.  It did reach space though.  It is possible that only the telemetry failed and the rocket was otherwise successful. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:54:30 pm »
Update for those interested.

Link to full article

The two-stage Falcon 1 rocket shot spaceward [image] from its Pacific island launch site at 9:10 p.m. EDT (0110 March 21 GMT), but suffered a roll control malfunction 186 miles (300 kilometers) above Earth before completing its flight plan, its Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) builders said. The rocket was intended to end its mission about 10 minutes after liftoff at an altitude of about 425 miles (685 kilometers).

The rocket’s first stage is designed to be reusable, and carries parachutes to slow its descent and make a splashdown landing in the Pacific Ocean for later retrieval and refurbishment.

“The first stage should be currently floating around the Pacific Ocean, with our recovery boat in hot pursuit,” Musk said after Tuesday’s launch.

Hopefully it is an easy solution to the roll issue and the next flight will be a success. 

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:02:26 am »
space x offered th AF academy a free ride on one of their vehicles.... it only seemed fair after they blew up our last satelite ;).  Personally i hope they get the bugs fixed, it'll help us when we get falconsat V ready to launch in about 2 year. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:29:42 pm »
What is falconsat V?
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:07:06 am »
Link to full article

SpaceX chief Elon Musk has confirmed that Stages 1 and 2 collided on the second flight of the company’s Falcon 1 small launch vehicle this week, and is an issue that will need to be dealt with.

Musk has also revealed that Stage 1 was not recovered, due in part to a nonfunctioning GPS tracking device on the stage at liftoff.

As described previously on SpaceDaily.com, the onboard video shows the Stage 2 exit cone running into the integral interstage on top of Stage 1 during staging separation, with an obvious "bump" effect on the motion between the large first stage and fully fueled second.

Sounds like it should be a fixable issue.  Hopefully 3rd time will be the charm.