Topic: If Wishes Were Horses  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: If Wishes Were Horses
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 06:16:16 pm »
Hey all, s'me again. Sorry about the long wait between chapters, but here you go now.

Let me know what you think, if the characters/situation are beginning to engage you now or not, what you like, dislike, the usual.  :)
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 11:10:02 pm »
 '"The Federation and Starfleet does not bully or browbeat people into 'common sense'. It is still their planet,'

Heh?!  Doesn't brow beat and bully?!  What Star Trek have we been watching? I agree with the commodore, however. Ain't our planet, let'em blow it up. I'm a very sympathetic feller, after all. "Gonna shoot yourself, you say? Here's my gun. Need ammo, here ya go...BLAM!...I'll take that back now, thank you. Hey you got brains all up in my gun!!!"

Good installment. Still no head aches. I mean that as an actual compliment, though. My own writing gives me head ahces when I read it on screen. I have to print nearly everything...

The aliens in this story are rather snooty nitches. Come to try and help 'em and they're all roses and sunshine. I could see many alternate responces Captains Sharp or Ford might have had for them, Ford's being the least constructive...

Keep it up!

-thu guv'!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 02:09:47 am »
You those aliens are bugging the hell out of me. Drop some Klingons or Jem'Hadar on that planet. Their pride will be next to the sh*t stains in their underware. Me likes in general though.

And I really like those nifty thought fragments you use to set a scene like the one below. Won't work on screen but since this is writing, it won't have to :D.
He must be fielding a large number of questions from virtually everyone around him, Rahul thought. I will try not to add to his burdens.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
If Wishes Were Horses - Chapter Six
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 10:06:24 am »
Chapter Six

Date: 1st June 2274
Ship Time: 0345

Commander Katrin Schulte exercised great restraint as she sat in the Lor'tana's command chair. If this turned into an emergency shutdown, she didn't want to be pacing around, getting on her crew's nerves. Having just contacted her chief engineer at the Tothanar reactor a scant five minutes ago, she was unwilling to hail him again so soon. She addressed her comm. officer instead.

"Mr. Theras, hail the council chairman at the Government Headquarters building and maintain an open channel until I say otherwise. Do the same for Lieutenant Grunk at the reactor site, and put their visuals on the auxiliary monitors above your station."

"Aye sir, hailing them now."

"Mr. Tupelov, move in to a geostationary position above the reactor site at 500 km altitude. Lieutenant Zanarra, plot a series of orbital maneuvers that requires a minimum of power to keep us there."

"Aye, Sair."

"Yes, Captain."

"Petty Officer McCarroll, allocate minimum power plus five percent to the impulse engines as per Lieutenant Zenarra's requirements, minimal shield power, and divide the remainder between pinpoint sensors and transporter systems. Be prepared to bleed one to boost the other."

"As you say, Sir. Allocating now," replied the black-haired Scot manning the bridge Engineering station.

"Very good." As she waited for her orders to be carried out, she turned to her science officer. "Mr. Samok, are the ship and crew ready for emergency beam-out procedures?"

The tall Vulcan diverted his attention from the science scanner to check on his captain's request for data. Looking up after about 30 seconds, he replied, "Yes, Captain. Every personnel and evacuation transporter is currently manned and double-staffed. Our shuttlecraft has been launched and both it's bay  and the cargo bays are cleared for emergency beam-in. Power allocations are now as required, and we are ready to go to red alert at your command. All departments and crew acknowledge yellow alert status."

"Thank you, Commander."

"Captain, I have the Chairman with his advisors and Lieutenant Grunk for you."

"Thank you Theras. Gentlemen," she said, addressing the monitors, "I would like to keep these channels open  for the duration of this event so we can coordinate our efforts and keep everyone informed. If you could kindly have one of your staff man this station?"

Grunk, who knew this was an order no matter the phrasing, replied with a gruff, "Yes, Captain."

Toldar, to whom her words really was a request, considered it before saying, "It is a reasonable thing to do. My assistant Yarna will monitor your efforts."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." Checking her status boards, she finished by saying, "We are now in place and ready for the test, beginning in 100 seconds... Mark. We will speak again, after the test." Whether it is successful or not, Schulte added to herself.

"Until then, Captain," Toldar responded, then moved out of the viewscreen's pickup with his entourage in tow.

"Cross your fingers, Mr. Samok, lets hope this works."

Ship Time: 0359

Senior Scientist Gentra looked at the wall clock as it ticked down the last few seconds. Turning to his power engineer, he asked, "Final Go/No-Go check?"

Ton-nol ran his eyes over all the status indicators on his board. "All power couplings are online and good for Go. All backup systems, alternate power generators, and auxiliary control circuits are fully operational. Data to and control links from the councillor's terminal are active and clear of interference." A pause to assess the situation, and he confirmed, "Final Go/No-Go check complete, test is a 'Go'."

"Stand by everyone." Gentra couldn't control the excitement in his voice. It let everyone know just how charged the old man really was. "Stand by to activate the antimatter generator in Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Activate!"

Five technicians at the antimatter generator controls flipped their switches in sequence.

"Main power activated."

"Magnetic field control circuits on line."

"Particle accelerator on line."

"System integrity checks complete and successful."

"Temporary containment fields activated."

"We have antimatter production!"

"Confirmed, reading two molecules in storage already, production proceeding at two molecules per minute as planned."

Gentra swallowed to lubricate his dry throat. First stage completed, now for the main event!

"Begin feeding the matter and antimatter streams into the reaction chamber!" he commanded.

This was the crunch point, where all the simulations had failed up until the Federation had arrived.

The reactor was not connected to the province's power grid for obvious safety reasons, so any and all power generated was being routed into massive arrays of storage batteries. They should begin to detect the batteries charging now, if all went well.

"Storage Array One registering at one percent of capacity and increasing!"

"Reaction rate is stable and under control."

"Matter and antimatter streams showing no fluctuations in path or quantity."

"All systems are stable and performing within expected parameters. We are 'Go' for 10% power test."

Gentra's heart skipped a beat, but he managed to force some calm into his voice. "Negative, we will hold at present level for a 30 minute static power test." Noting the grumbles and frustrated looks, he barked angrily, "We have waited this long to get this far! Do not get sloppy now, just because you are excited and want to rush for glory!"

His furious glare swept over everyone in the large control room, and heads ducked in shame and acknowledgment of the truth in his words.

"Maintaining status, sir."

Three Hours Later.

"Captain, they are ready to go to full power now."

The bridge crew, having gradually relaxed over the last few hours--some might even have said 'got bored'--became tense and alert once more.

Captain Schulte swung around from her conversation with Theras and focused her attention on the main viewscreen, where the reactor's scientific data was presented. Katrin had approved of the Cautallan scientist's words against sloppiness, but after the succession of anticlimactic power increases and static power level tests, she had found herself hard-pressed to maintain her alertness.

"Okay people," she said to the bridge crew at large, "look sharp. This is the big one, what we've all been waiting for." I hope our run of good luck--and, yes, boredom--continues until the end.

If Samok were Human, he would have rolled his eyes at his captain's statement. Being Vulcan, he didn't even allow himself a raised eyebrow and merely thought Why must Humans state and re-state the obvious?

"Power levels increasing from 75%, climbing steadily."

"Our own sensors are in perfect agreement with the data link from the power plant's computers."

That was a crucial point and a good redundancy to have. The ship's own sensors were acting as a simultaneous diagnostic to confirm that the plant's own computers were reporting accurately, as well as providing additional information that the Catuallan sensors weren't picking up.

"Passing through 85% of maximum rated output, all Catuallan systems reading no problems."

After a couple of seconds, Katrin turned in surprise to ask her science officer about his report, but he finally spoke.

"Captain, our sensors are reading a vanishingly slight anomalous reading in the subspace spectrum. I have confirmed the reading, and that the Catuallan sensors are not detecting it. It would appear that there is a low level of subspace instability at the core of the reactor itself, which may pose some kind of problem in the future. However, the readings are not dangerous at present levels, and show no signs of increasing," he added, forestalling Schulte's next question.

Everyone on the bridge, however, had heard the unspoken 'yet' at the end of the Vulcan's statement.

"Mr. Samok, prepare to transmit that data and any analysis and projections you may come up with to both ground sites, on my order," Katrin instructed. Walking over to the comm. station, she addressed her chief engineer and the Catuallan chairman's aide.

"Gentlemen, we may have a problem," she began. "Our sensors are detecting some signs of subspace instability in the heart of the reactor. These readings are not dangerous at present and show no signs of becoming so, but you need to be informed of a possible danger."

"I'll tell Gentra," Grunk said. "I doubt he'll call off the final move unless an actual containment breach threatens, but he will want to know."

Toldar's aide, Yarma, nodded in agreement with the Tellarite's words. "Captain," he said, "unless there is an immediate danger, I see no need to abort this test so close to its completion. The data gathered from this test run will be invaluable, and after a two-day 'running in' period the reactor will be shut down for inspection and diagnostics. I will inform the Chairman, but I assure you that this will be his reaction also. Please transmit any data you have so that our scientists may assess any potential problems."

Slightly frustrated, but bearing in mind her recent conversation with Commodore MacLaughlin, Schulte merely nodded and said, "Very well." Turning to Samok, she ordered, "Science Officer, transmit your data and findings now."

"Acknowledged."

"Inform me of any change in readings, Commander, the instant they occur."

"Reactor power now approaching 100%!" The suppressed excitement in Lieutenant Ga-Nosh's voice brought Katrin's attention back to the viewscreen.

"Reaching 100%... Now, Captain!" The Saurian female blinked her large yellow eyes as the readings on her science monitors peaked and held steady. "Static power test commencing now, Catuallan sensor readings show all systems performing within expected parameters--if at slightly higher tolerances than nominal."

"Our sensors are in complete agreement with Catuallan sensors except for the unstable subspace field harmonic we have detected. So far, it has attributes so minimal it is barely registering on our sensors and not at all on the Catuallans' less advanced instruments."

Nodding at her science officer's report, Schulte ordered, "Mr. Samok, begin research into what could be causing this harmonic. With all our models and projections, it shouldn't be there."

"Yes sir." Turning to his intercom, he contacted the science labs a deck below. "Petty Officer Axar, report to the bridge."

Minutes later, the triped Edoan was replacing the Samok at his monitoring duties, and the Vulcan headed off to the science labs to begin his research.

Meanwhile, all Katrin could do was wait. Again. She stared at the main viewscreen, head resting on her fist.

Damnit.

Half an hour later, it was all over. The final static power test had been passed and the reactor was operating normally--if not nominally. The first array of batteries was 85% full and all the Catuallans were hailing the whole event as a "great success".

Katrin was still troubled, but with Samok not turning anything up yet, all she could do was stew in her own misgivings.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 10:58:02 am »
Pretty good, so far, Andy.  If I had to pick something to criticize, it's that we're not getting enough where the characters are concerned, with the exception of the Captain.  The Guv is righ that you don't wanna parade everything about them out in the first chapter or even in the whole story, but a bit more insight into their thoughts, feelings would at times make it easier to connect with them.

But I'm liking the story as is.:)  I'm suspecting that that little subspace variance is the result of skullduggery, but that may just be my paranoia talking.  I probably play too many RPGs with Ron'jar.  He'll turn you into a jittery nutcase.

I'm also having the little 'what would my characters do in this situation' flashes the others have been speaking of.  The aliens don't seem to impossible to handle, but if they continued to test Bates' patience, he'd probably turn and walk out, possibly accompanied by the phrase 'If you want our help, you know how to contact us.'

La'ra?  Well... ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 09:27:57 pm »
  I probably play too many RPGs with Ron'jar.  He'll turn you into a jittery nutcase.

Who, me? ;D

Ninjas...you hate ninjas... ::)

I suspect some grand catastrophy myself. He could jip us, however, and the next chapter begins with the science vessel sailing benignly away, all smiles and happy-happy... I doubt it, though...
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 02:50:13 am »
And getting raided by a orion? Perhaps. The fact there will be strife is certain, i just hope he can suprise us with the type of strife.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
If Wishes Were Horses - Chapter Seven
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 07:40:17 am »
Chapter Seven

Ship Time: 1300 hours.
Location: State Dining Room, Government Headquarters, Lienthan City

Fyodor Tupelov looked around the sumptuously decorated and well-appointed vastness that would be their home away from home for the next few hours, and gasped in amazement.

"You could fit our ship in here!" the excitable Russian exclaimed.

"Or at least the saucer section and nacelles," agreed a smiling Rahul Vaidya.

"Mr. Tupelov, stop tugging at your collar. The Catuallans will think you're trying to strangle yourself," Katrin admonished.

"Keptin, whoever designed my dress uniform could have given the Spanish Inquisition some lessons in torture!" The ebullient Russian subsided though, and the three Starfleet officers stepped up to the doors and were announced into the room.

"Ah, Captain, gentlemen, welcome!"

Schulte turned to face the speaker, recognising Chairman Toldar's deep baritone. "Thank you, on behalf of myself and my crew, Mr. Chairman. May I present Lieutenant Rahul Vaidya, my Chief of Security, and Lieutenant Fyodor Tupelov, my Chief Helmsman?"

"A pleasure, gentlemen," Toldar said as they exchanged greetings. "We have a few moments before the banquet begins, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to thank you and your clever crew personally. This is a great moment in our history, Captain!"

Toldar was very effusive, and indeed the entire population of the banquet hall was in a celebratory mood.

"Virtually unlimited power, safely housed on our planet's surface. All thanks to the crew of the USS Lor'tana!"

The Chairman had raised his voice for his last sentence, and the room took notice as was intended. Glasses were raised and the toast drank to cries of "The Lor'tana!" and "The Federation!"

It was a thoroughly intoxicating feeling and it swallowed up Fyodor and Rahul completely, but Katrin couldn't--quite--let go of the small knot of worry in her gut.

As if picking up on her worry, Toldar asked, "Where are your other fine officers, the ones who accompanied you the first time?"

"Chairman, my chief engineer remains at the power plant with your senior scientist to continue monitoring the reactor. My science officer is continuing his research into the anomalous subspace readings we detected. He would normally have had some answers by now, but the very minuscule readings make it difficult."

"Captain, it seems to me that is nothing to worry about. Have, ah, Mr. Samok, isn't it? Have him take a break and join the celebration in his honour."

"That is very kind of you to think of him, but I have to decline. No matter how slight, the reading should not be there and we need to know what is causing it."

"Very well, Captain. I appreciate your thoroughness. But enough talk of work. Let us celebrate its results!" With that, he ushered them to their seats.

Ship Time: 1315 hours.

"Commander Samok? The subspace field stress readings are increasing. This is the second time."

The worried tone of Petty Officer Enar made Samok immediately check the sensors. "You are correct. That this should happen now is potentially pattern forming, but we need more data before our research can even begin to produce results. Whatever concerns this development may bring, it will also provide us with the additional data we seek.

"Continue monitoring these readings, Mr. Enar. Technician Jones, contact the bridge and have them set up a direct data link from Science Lab One to Lieutenant Grunk's equipment in the power plant."

"Aye, Commander."

"Yessir!"

Ship Time: 1415 hours.

"Senior Scientist, this is beginning to worry me," Mohd stated bluntly.

His superior blinked at that, and almost smiled. You know it's serious when Mohd starts to talk like a real person, the Tellarite thought.

"I agree that there is cause for concern, ah, Lieutenant Abdullah, but there is no immediate danger."

"Mr. Gentra, the variance is now eight times it's original strength!" the young Arab exclaimed in alarm. "If an 800% increase in strength--in anything, never mind a potentially dangerous element--isn't cause for concern, I don't know what is!"

"I completely agree with my assistant, Senior Scientist," Grunk put in before Gentra could say anything to him. "I seriously urge you to reduce the power output of your reactor."

The Catuallan's ice blue eyes flicked between the two Starfleet officers as if gauging their veracity as he mulled it over.

Finally, he nodded and Grunk felt a sense of relief wash through him--which was almost as quickly drained away with the scientist's next words.

"As I recall, your instruments first detected this problem when we went above 75% power. I will reduce to that level again, and we will see if the problem diminishes also."

"I would prefer it if you went to half power, Senior Scientist. Just to be on the safe side. After all, the reactor is still in its test phase, the running in period. It won't be part of the planetary power grid for some time. " The thin old man began to shake his head in refusal, so Grunk added, "There is no shame in prematurely stopping the test since it has been successful up to this point, especially when you consider the risks of a failure through some perverse form of pride."

Gentra--who had been wavering in the face of those more knowledgeable then he--felt his resolve harden again at those final words. He had been feeling the pressure from the Councillor for Energy to make sure the project worked first time, in one go. His working experience had warred with his political savvy, and had just won with Grunk's 'no shame' speech, but Grunk hadn't known when to let well enough alone. Bringing Catuallan pride into it had just destroyed his argument for common sense.

Mohd could almost see it going their way by the expression of Gentra's face, until his boss mentioned pride. His flame of hope guttered and died, as the alien scientist's mouth set in a hard line before he spoke.

"No. We will reduce to 75% power, and if it continues to rise, then we will drop to half power."

Grunk almost snarled in Gentra's face at his obstinacy, but managed to restrain himself to a terse--but angry--"Very well."

Ship Time: 1445 hours.

"Lieutenant Grunk? It's increased again. That's the variance up to sixteen times its original strength, and the time-between intervals are halving. We have a serious problem here."

"Agreed, Mohd," the chief engineer almost snarled. "We need to begin shutdown procedures right now. I don't know how much a strain the reactor can take--I'm even now picking up unusual stress readings on the Catuallan equipment."

Signalling to catch the plant administrator's attention, a thoroughly angry Grunk moved towards him saying, "Gentra, you need to shut down the reactor.  Now." The incensed Tellarite's tone brooked no argument. "The subspace instability is getting worse and we have to act now before we have a disaster on our hands."

The old man looked instantly outraged and disbelieving, and demanded, "We've known about this 'anomaly' you keep on about for almost eight hours! Why do we suddenly have a 'disaster'? Why do we have to shut down now? Why can't you fix it--"

Grunk--not normally a patient being--was not in the mood for an obstinate, prideful fool who was ignoring the facts and placing everybody in danger.

"Listen to me, you decrepit old imbecile! " he yelled and--ignoring Mohd's panicked expression--gripped the lapels of Gentra's lab smock. "The instability seems to be increasing at a logarithmic rate, and we don't know how much stress your reactor vessel can actually take before it cracks open like a dropped egg!"

Gentra's eyes widened in fear, but Mohd couldn't tell if it was because if the implications Grunk was spelling out for him, or if it was merely of the threat of physical harm to his person. Probably never been manhandled before, the young engineer thought as his superior continued, shaking the plant administrator as if trying to instil some sense.

"Inside an hour, the field stress is going to be over 200 times its original level! I don't think the reactor can take more than 30 times, but I don't know! None of your studies or tests took this into account, and neither did ours!"

In the face of a louder, nastier, and more knowledgeable being crying, "Doom", Gentra's bluster died and his anger and disbelief collapsed. "O-okay, L-Lieutenant, okay. Calm down, please. Wha--What should we do? Call the Council? Evacuate the plant? The province? We--"

"Gentra, snap out of it! " Grunk cried, despairing. "Just shut--it--down! "

"Ah, yes, of course." Summoning his wits, he turned to his task while Grunk pulled out his communicator.

"Grunk to Lor'tana! "

"Lor'tana, Commander Thelin here," the Andorian responded, sounding surprised. "We were about to hail--"

"Commander, Yellow Alert and prepare for mass beamout!" the engineer interrupted urgently.

"We're monitoring it too, Lieutenant. Science Officer Samok has finally isolated the cause of the imbalance and the data is now being downloaded to your equipment," Thelin informed him. "We are currently trying to contact the captain and let her know, and we are already prepared as you suggested. We'll continue monitoring ourselves, but we will await further signals from you."

Hearing all this reassured Grunk greatly. "Thank you, Commander. I will look over the data immediately. The Catuallans are in the process of shutting down their reactor, but if something goes wrong do not wait for my signal. Do what you must."

"Agreed. Lor'tana out."

Grunk raced back over to his console as fast as his stubby legs could carry him, hearing the final shutdown status calls from Gentra's staff.

"Antimatter generator production down to zero."

"Cut power to the generator."

A pause. "System powered down... Antimatter fuel generator is offline."

"Reaction rate down to 2% rated power."

"Shut off fuel feed from antimatter and matter containment."

"Fuel feed closing down... Now shut off. 0% fuel feed active."

"Reaction slowing... fuel exhausted, reaction stopped."

"Fuel generation and reaction systems powered down, containment systems active, power levels 100%, reading 5% capacity."

Gentra hurried over to Grunk's console and reported on everything Grunk had missed and half-heard, finishing by stating, "That gives us about," he paused for a quick calculation, "ten seconds' fuel at full power."

Grunk tossed off a tense "Good" over his shoulder, but he was concentrating on his console screen.

Everything seemed to freeze in time just then, as several people suddenly realised that nothing about the current situation could be labelled 'good'.

"Chief, the readings are still increasing! "

Grunk's porcine eyes widened on horror and Gentra let out a strangled cry, but it wasn't at Mohd's urgent call. They were both staring at Samok's calculations, which led them to that same conclusion. It wasn't the antimatter reaction or the control software--the antimatter itself was unstable!

They faced each other and blurted together: "The containment chamber!"

Grunk knew from his intense examination of the facility that there was no way to get rid of it in time, and so did Gentra. The Catuallan looked helplessly at the Tellarite.

"We didn't plan for this! How could we know?"

"Mohd! How much time do we have?" the engineer snapped out.

"About five minutes, maximum!"

"We have to restart the reactor and use up that antimatter before it completely destabilises!"

"It'll take too long!" Gentera howled. "We need at least ten minutes to realign everything after an emergency shutdown--it reduces power levels too quickly and burns out circuits and machinery! You were there for the simulations! The shutdown is supposed to solve the problem and worry about normal operations after--when we have plenty of time!"

"By all the Seven Hells!" Grunk snarled, all the while cognisant of the fact that it wasn't Gentra's fault. Almost all reactors of any kind were designed that way.

"Start evacuating the buildings, and inform your Council," Grunk said, almost gently.

"With that much fuel in storage, it'll be like a breach at full power! It'll crack the planet's mantle!" Gentra was openly sobbing now. "What have I done? Oh, Holka, what have I done? "
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:46:15 pm by Scottish Andy »

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 08:42:11 am »
An exciting chapter.  However you ended it two sentences too late.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 10:27:52 am »
An exciting chapter.  However you ended it two sentences too late.

agreed. The cliffhanger would be better served by stopping ^

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 11:07:00 am »
Yup.  What they said.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 08:45:34 pm »
lol... that makes it unanimous. Okay, I'll take them off before anyone else sees them. *grin* Thanks for the input, guys.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
If Wishes Were Horses - Chapter Eight, Pt II
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 10:05:52 am »
Ship Time: 1450 hours.

"Grunk to Lor'tana! Beam me up!"

For the chief engineer not to wait for a response meant that he regarded his situation as urgent. Tharas routed Grunk's order to a transporter room along with his co-ordinates, then turned to the figure in the centre seat.

"Lieutenant Grunk requested immediate beam-up, Commander. I've relayed his order to Transporter Room One, as they are in between evacuation beam-outs," he reported.

"Very good, Ensign. What is the status of the evacuation?" First Officer Thelin asked.

"Currently, 102 Catuallan and Starfleet personnel from the power plant have been beamed directly to an open square at the centre of Tothanar City." A pause. "Lieutenant Grunk and the penultimate group of six have now been transported, and Transporter One is cycling for the last group."

"Good work co-ordinating the evacuation, Ensign," Thelin praised his young comrade.

"Thank you, Sir!" Tharas flushed a deeper blue, but maintained his demeanour.

"Science Officer, have you reached the captain yet?"

"Yes, Commander, but she is having to... disengage... so we can speak privately," Samok replied. He watched as the volatile Andorian fumed at the delay, but managed to avoid yelling, "Hurry up!" down the comm. channel.

The Exec couldn't restrain himself entirely, however.

"What is taking her so long?"

Grunk barrelled through the doors to Transporter Room Two--clipping one in the process--and literally screeched to a halt behind the control console, sweating heavily. He pulled a uniform sleeve across his eyes to sweep away the sweat-matted hair, then started to work the board.

"Sir! What're you doing?"

Grunk started in surprise. So total was his concentration that he hadn't noticed the transporter Petty Officer working at the machinery flat in front of the console.

Not sparing him a glance, the Tellarite continued reprogramming the transporter filters and parameters as he ordered, "Get round here and watch what I'm doing! This might take both of us working together to pull it off."

As the Centauran hurried round, Grunk told him, "The antimatter reactor on the planet is about to lose containment and blast a hole ten kilometres deep. I'm not going to let that happen. Now, be prepared to assist me, 'cause this might get complicated."

The gawky blonde man gulped audibly, but gave a firm nod. "Aye, Sir."

"Good man." A few more switches flipped and all was set. A quick glance at the console chronometer showed that he only had 80 seconds of Mohd's original five minutes left. He cursed and activated the system, muttering, "The bridge'll have to wait until I'm done before I can tell 'em."

Petty Officer Zaran's eyes went wide at that, but still he stood firm, with his hands hovering near the fine-tuning controls.

Good man, Grunk thought again as he said, "Energising."

A shimmering sound began to fill the room as the transporter engaged, quietly at first but rising steadily with more power being fed into the transporter system.

Once transport began, the experienced hand's eyes widened and he looked at the chief engineer in genuine fear. He'd taken note of the readings and co-ordinates Grunk was using and blurted out, "You're beaming up the antimatter? Without it's container? "

"Snahphu!" the Tellarite snarled. Zaran flinched backwards at the obscenity, but Grunk was already correcting the mistake he'd made at the crewman's outburst.

"Use your head, idiot!" Grunk continued, making more minute corrections as he explained. "The containment bottle isn't a bottle--it's a vat! It must mass 80 tons easily--almost as much as the damned reactor vessel. There is no way my engines can haul that lot up--we don't have the power!"

Zaran gulped again and realised the Tellarite was correct. But he's still beaming up raw antimatter! his mind screamed at him, urging him to reverse the beam.

Grunk noticed him wavering, but couldn't spare him any more of his attention--all of it was needed on what he was doing. "Monitor the antimatter stability rating!" he snapped out.

Zaran nodded, and Grunk flicked a glance at the console chronometer.

Ten seconds since transport began, he noted. The transport was up against a deadline, but the very nature of it demanded patience and time.

Grunk was energising too quickly, and not quickly enough.

"Stability at 60%!"

Grunk moved the sliders faster with one hand while he fine-tuned the phase variances with his other, racing against the accelerating destabilisation.

"Stability at 50%! Transporter system operating at full power, non-essential ship systems are shutting down!"

The Tellarite's sweating--which had momentarily stopped--returned to add to his woes. He was narrowing the gap, but still too slowly and he had to act now.

"Dematerialization complete, stability at 40%--dematerialization rate increasing rapidly! " Zaran cried in alarm.

Grunk had feared this would happen. Now that the unstable antimatter had severed its last link to physical reality, the molecules' structural integrity had been weakened even further. Grunk knew how to combat this though, and his hands flew over the controls to compensate.

"Stability at 17%, destabilisation rate slowing," Zaran called out. Desperately, he added, "Sir, you must beam it out now! "

"Damnit, I know that! " Grunk bellowed as once again he closed the gap on the decay rate. "I've almost got it--!" And without a decay rate of less than 20% I can't beam it out--the molecule states change too quickly for the Heisenberg Compensators to cope!

The chronometer told him it was 45 seconds since he began beamout just as Zaran called out, "Antimatter stability at 9%! Decay rate at 21.5%!"

Fingers performing a veritable piano concerto on the transporter control panel, Grunk felt his hopes begin to rise again as the variance fell away. Almost got it! Nearly there!

Ship Time: 1453 hours.
Location: State Dining Room, Government Headquarters, Lienthan City

Katrin had finally managed to excuse herself from the dinner party in her honour, and found some peace and quiet to hear the rest of her science officer's message. Her quest for the privacy Samok had stressed she needed had taken her outside to the far corner of the gardens, although she could still see in through the French-style doors.

Opening her communicator again, she finally stated, "Okay, Commander, I have no audience now. What is it that they might have overheard and panicked over?"

Samok's answer confirms her earlier fears. "Captain, the subspace destabilisation has doubled many times over these last few hours. The reactor is now in imminent danger of exploding at full strength. We are--"

"What!?! " Shulte yelled. "Damnit, Commander, why the hell was I not informed before now?"

"The rate of increase is logarithmic, Captain," came back the unperturbed answer. "Initially, the rate of increase was slow enough to appear manageable, but over the last hour since you left the variance has increased 6,000%--almost 5,000% in the last 15 minutes."

"Du leiber Gott!! " Katrin breathed. "Spiralling out of control so quickly..."

"Indeed, Captain. In the time it took to reach you, it increased to double its previous value. As I was saying earlier, we have just completed evacuating the plant. All Catuallan personnel have been transported to Tothanar City--"

Suddenly, a babble of voices erupted in the background, and the Red Alert siren began blaring.

"Massive power drain, Commander! Non-essential systems shutting down!"

"What? Trace it!" ordered Thelin's voice.

"Transporter systems, Sir!"

"What's going on up there, damnit? Samok, beam me up!"

"Reading transporter energy at the antimatter reactor site, Commander!"

"Contact the transporter room, find out what the hell they think they're--"

The communicator squealed hideously with subspace feedback, nearly deafening Katrin--while simultaneously, the darkening evening sky lit up like it was noon on a clear day.

Katrin's head snapped up--as did everyone else's in the hemisphere--and she stared, slack-jawed and disbelieving at the new star birthed in the heavens above her.

"No..."

People were running around frantically before her--some shouting orders, some demanding answers--but she saw and heard none of it. Anguish and grief filling her soul, she cried out.

"My ship! "

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2005, 07:33:43 am »
Oh, Elements and Powers... looks like something went wrong, bigtime! Good installment, Andy. Finally hit your stride aboutr Ch 4 (as I said, Ch1 to 3 should have been Ch 1), and doing good now.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2005, 11:58:27 am »
I just hope he managed to beam most/everything out. However, it fits the noble knights idea the federation strives for.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2005, 02:32:19 pm »
Now that's a good cliffhanger.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2005, 05:57:57 pm »
Now that's a good cliffhanger.

What he said.

I enjoyed this story when I first read it on SB 23, Andy, and I'm enjoying it just as much the second time. Nice piece of writing you've got going here.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2005, 08:22:30 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm really glad you enjoyed that one. And so we come to the end of this little tale, so let me know what you think of this last chapter, and of the story as a whole.

Chapter Eight

"Keptin! Keptin!" Fyodor ran out of the dining room into the garden, hot on the heels of Security Chief Vaidya as they searched for their CO.

"Wait here and keep up appearances while I see what Samok wants," Schulte had said to them not five minutes ago, Fyodor remembered. Well, no-one is worried about appearances after whatever that was, he thought sarcastically as he and Rahul dodged around Catuallans heading outside for a look.

"There she is!" Rahul exclaimed quietly. They both dashed over to her.

"Keptin! What was that flash? Did the reactor explode?" Fyodor asked, swinging about to try and locate a flare of light on the western horizon.

Rahul was looking carefully at his captain, and just knew that something far worse--for them--had just happened.

Katrin had composed herself by now, but the security officer had seen her staring up at the sky with her eyes full of horror and her mouth hanging open. Almost as telling, her communicator--now being hurriedly re-tuned--had been dangling limp from her hands.

"Captain?" he asked tentatively, not wanting to venture anything while there was still a chance.

"Get your communicators out and try to contact the ship. If you cannot get through, try and contact any ships' personnel on-planet."

Her officers looked at her as if they'd been gut-punched, but Fyodor had to ask.

"Keptin, has the ship been destroyed?"

"Belay that kind of talk Mr. Tupelov! We know nothing for sure yet. Get moving."

At the sharp rebuke from his captain, the young Russian took on a hurt look as he worked his own communicator.

If we are the last survivors, why is she lashing out at us? he questioned within his own head. He slapped his communicator in frustration, as nothing he did could get through to anybody.

Rahul was likewise having no success. "Captain, it's no good. There is too much interference on all subspace frequencies."

Katrin knew that it was futile, but she was going through the motions out of a sense of duty. She had not only heard it happen 'live', she had felt it.

A captain just knows, she thought miserably. "Very well, gentlemen. We--"

"Captain Schulte! " All three officers turned to see Elder Withoor hurriedly approaching.

Oh, here we go, Katrin thought in anger and grief. More inane questions, unreasonable demands, and officious nonsense! I don't want to deal with this right now!

She couldn't have been more wrong.

Withoor, his customary dour expression completely absent, immediately gave a bow from the waist. Katrin, already off-balance, had her worst fears and gut knowledge confirmed with his first words.

"Oh Captain! We are very sorry for your loss. The entire council has been informed and unanimously offer their own personal and all our people's most sincere condolences. The hearts and minds of our people grieve with you for the loss of your crew and your ship."

"Wha--?" she spluttered as Rahul and Fyodor sagged visibly.

"Our orbital sensor net detected and recorded the explosion that claimed your vessel and simultaneously alerted the whole council of this event," Withoor explained, divining that Schulte was confused at how they knew so quickly.

Pulling herself together--I'm the Captain, Goddamn it! --Katrin willed her stomach to stop its sickening lurching and managed a husky-voiced response.

"O-on behalf of my sh--ah." Katrin stumbled, then corrected herself, all the while feeling a deep pain.  "On behalf of myself and my officers, I thank you and the Council for your kind regard."

Schulte waited expectantly, but Withoor held silent. Maybe it's part of their mourning rituals, she thought, but I need answers now.

"Elder Withoor, do you know why my ship--exploded?" she managed to ask, the words sour in her mouth and stabbing deep into her gut.

Withoor looked at her as if slightly puzzled, but dismissed it and answered her.

"We do not know what happened, Captain, but we do know how it didn't happen. Our sensor net detected no other ships or platforms within weapons range, no weapons fire--neither space- nor ground-based, no other orbital objects of any size within 20,000km, or within the orbital track of your vessel. But our sensors cannot tell us of events aboard your ship."

The Elder was saying this as if he was listening to someone and repeating it, but the man had come out alone.

Probably a hidden receiver in his ear, Vaidya supposed. He did say the orbital sensor net signalled all the Council members.

Katrin, trying to work past the death of her ship and crew, asked, "What about the Tothanar reactor? My science officer was telling me that the antimatter containment..."

Katrin faltered there, as it all clicked into place for her. Rahul and Fyodor, who hadn't heard that yet, also had looks of dawning comprehension.

Not so the Catuallan, who noticed the changes on the faces of the three aliens and recognised their significance--if not their cause. Giving them time to regroup, he answered their last question.

"Yes, Senior Scientist Gentra informed us that he was performing an emergency shutdown of the reactor, and we've received confirmation that it was successfully completed."

The Councillor for Offworld Affairs looked puzzled at the grim looks of satisfaction on the faces of the three Federation officers, but Katrin pre-empted him speaking first.

"Elder, I--we--need to address the Council, so we can unravel these horrific events."

Withoor got that 'listening' look again, and after a few seconds he concurred. "Yes, Captain. The Council and your crew need to know what has transpired tonight.

"Follow me."

Local Time: 2130 hours.
Location: Council Chambers, Government Headquarters building, Lienthan City.

"...and the orbital sensor satellite shows us the Tothanar reactor completely intact, no escaping radiation, completely evacuated, and all systems powered down except for the antimatter containment system which is operating normally."

"Thank you, Commander Poldar." Seeing Elder Lantrer's request to speak, Toldar added, "I now yield the floor to the Councillor for the Tothanar Province."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." Addressing councillors both present and not, but specifically the Starfleet officers, the tall, blonde Elder was noticeably subdued but had a spark to his eyes. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Captain Schulte and officers, I bring news of survivors from your vessel. It seems--"

Katrin and her comrades leaped to their feet, but managed to restrain any outbursts lest they miss the information Lantrer was conveying.

"--that the Federation vessel performed a mass, emergency evacuation of the Tothanar reactor using their teleporting technology, and teleported the 102 Catuallan reactor staff and twelve Starfleet crewmembers still at the site to the ceremonial parade ground at the centre of Tothanar City.

"The senior member of those crewmembers, a--" he paused to make sure, "--Lieutenant JG Mohd Abdullah, informed me personally of his superior's plan to save the reactor. This, ah, Lieutenant Grunk was attempting to teleport the antimatter fuel still remaining into space so that our planet would not be harmed."

Grunk! You self-important, Goddamned--! Katrin mentally cursed. You didn't get anyone's permission--no, screw the permission! You never even told anyone onboard before you tried this! You killed my crew and destroyed my ship, you--!

Katrin's vocabulary failed her. Never had she felt so much hatred for anyone! The life of a science officer doesn't prepare you for that level of human emotion, and an equally benign childhood denied her the words she wanted.

"It is due to the heroic actions of this self-sacrificing officer that Catualla remains unharmed by the impetuous actions of her children, and in this child's lowly opinion, Lieutenant Grunk should be awarded Catualla's highest honour and his memory be enshrined forever in our Hall of Heroes!"

Lantrer's speech concluded to wild cheers from most councillors, both present and on their conference screens. Some were more restrained, recognising that almost 70 alien beings had died saving their planet from it's worst ever catastrophe.

Rahul and Fyodor exchanged looks of mute grief and pride at their friends, crewmates, and ship that had saved this planet but perished in their valiant attempt. They fondly remembered Grunk and his typical Tellarite personality--which, once you got past the gruff exterior, hid a solid friend--and his technical genius which had lead to many unexpected discoveries in the Lor'tana's two survey cruises over the past five years.

Katrin, however, sat in splendid isolation and ground her teeth as hatred gnawed at her soul. Lantrer had become all poetic and patriotic, and Katrin couldn't stand to hear it about the being who had killed everyone on her ship without even telling them, giving them a chance to prepare for the possibility of failure.

I never liked that obnoxious, insubordinate, pompous, arrogant--arshloch! All those people, dead, 'cause he had to play the hero. Never even told anyone onboard! They died unawares, all of them! All but the bridge crew who got a few seconds' warning, enough to be terrified as they died.

Katrin felt the need to vomit as bile clawed its way up her throat, but managed to hold on despite the canonising of her despised chief engineer going on around her. The Councillor for Science speaking brought her back to reality.

"Esteemed fellow Elders, the reason for our problems has at last been revealed. Commander Poldar has returned with more news of the aid our Federation saviours have provided us. I yield the floor to him now."

The man in charge of Catualla's orbital defence network stepped forwards. "Members of the Council of Elders, we have examined the reactor complex in minute detail, and found it to be as expected, undamaged save from circuits burned out during the emergency shutdown, and ready to be re-staffed at any time."

Katrin rose again, ready to protest that folly, but Poldar continued.

"Also found--untouched, within the control room--was the Federation equipment used to detect and monitor the problem. This equipment contains within its memory banks the entire research project and its results as conducted by Science Officer Samok. It reveals the underlying cause for all our antimatter problems! I yield the floor to Scientist Athan, Senior Scientist Gentra's primary assistant, and head of the Theory Team in this project."

Samok! Katrin mentally wailed. As if his name was the key to the floodgates of her memory, she began to see the faces of her officers and crew, friends and comrades, and lastly, Thelin, her XO--and lover. At his image, she got a hold of herself, hearing his soft voice chiding her.

"This is not the way a Captain behaves, liebshien. You are stronger than this, and there are still duties to perform."

Tears stung her eyes, all the more powerful for having to remain unshed--for now. Always the voice of reason and duty, my warrior. A small smile escaped her, in fond recollection of his strength and gentleness. So be it. I just wish we had more time together, my love.

Tuning back in to the worlds around her, she heard the Catuallan scientist reciting the specifics of the general idea Samok had informed her of, just before--

She clamped down tight on that train of thought and signalled her desire to speak again. The scientist concluded his brief, and Toldar recognised the captain of the Lor'tana.

"Esteemed Elders, I thank the council and the people of Catualla for the kindness they have shown and the support that they have offered to us in this matter, making it known that they share our grief even as they celebrate their own survival. It will not be forgotten."

A smattering of applause began at her words, threatening to become an ovation of sorts, but she waved them to silence so that she could continue.

"I would ask that a message be sent to Starfleet Command at Starbase Fifteen, so that the Federation can send another ship to complete our mission, and take myself and my remaining crew on board."

Chairman Toldar's voice was heavy with compassion as he answered. "Of course, Captain Schulte. The message will be taken care of immediately. You may make the call yourself, if you wish."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman, but that won't be necessary." Katrin was not looking forwards to the inevitable court martial that awaited her back at the starbase. She wanted to avoid that reality for as long as possible. "I am sure your best efforts will be more than sufficient."

"As you wish."

"Also, my officers and I would like to be taken to where the rest of my crew are, as soon as possible. I wish to speak with them and find out what went wrong on board my ship, if that can be found out at all."

"Of course, Captain," Toldar repeated. It seemed that nothing would be too much trouble for the Catuallans, not when dealing with the saviours of their planet. "A flitter will take myself and your party to where they are being housed, once this Session is over. I want to meet them, and thank them in person also."

Katrin was warmed by Toldar's consideration. "Thank you, Mr. Chairman. That will be most appreciated by my crew."

The head of the council nodded sombrely then gavelled the Session to order.

"Now, is there any more business that needs to be dealt with immediately? " his voice boomed out.

No new motions or debates or even further information about the current crisis were brought forward. Katrin got the slight impression that even if there was something else, it would be kept until the next Session, so that her wishes could be dealt with first. It was a warming feeling, though completely spoiled by the circumstances that engendered it.

My wishes. Katrin's thoughts were still in turmoil. Hatred for Grunk. Despair for her crew. Anguish for Samok. Bone-deep hurt for Thelin. My wishes have nothing to do with this situation, she thought, bewildered.

"Very well. This Session of the Council of Elders is now closed." The gavel banged again, and the occupants of the room began to disperse.

Many councillors came up to shake the hands of the Starfleet officers and offer condolences, in the Human fashion. It was a tribute that all of them had decided to pay, in respect. Finally, Toldar approached them, the last to do so.

After Katrin had thanked him, Toldar gestured for them all to leave. "Come, let us contact your starbase, then be on our way to reunite you with your crew.

"Your mission with us is over, Captain."

The End

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2005, 02:46:24 am »
I had expected a lot but not this! Great ending m8. So when do we get more?

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2005, 10:47:21 pm »
I'm not sure how to review this piece.  It's well written and the emotion is there. I think it could  have been included with the last part, although it is a good denoument.  It certainly ties up the smaller pieces since the big piece was resolved in the last thread (as should be done).

It's not a Star Trek episode though nor would the crew and captain be the main characters of a Star Trek episode.  The basic premise of a S.T. story is that the ship and crew leads all turn out okay in the end.  They don't follow this rule for the movies (or TNG as much as they should) but it's certainly true for TOS.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing or a good thing.  While set in a ST-like universe, it's not ST. 

Good ending for a good story.