Topic: Fragile Ideals  (Read 19283 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Fragile Ideals
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 10:12:31 am »
What dictator?

I like your idea. However, it would be really cool if the federation just ignored that. And I've got a question for you: How are the fed civil councel gonna verfy the broadcast. I doubt they will believe klingons on their pretty & honest face...

Dunno which dictator, just wanted to show that neither La'ra nor Ran'jar knows everything about the humans.  They're pretty familiar with their culture and history...know thy enemy...but I decided to toss a little 'who was that guy again' moment in just cuz it's not their history and it's bound to happen.

I toyed around with the idea of La'ra saying 'The one named for a plant' as a cheap shot at our prez, but I try to keep politics outta this forum, soooo...

And yeah, La'ra's already thought of those problems.  I was gonna address his ideas about that as the story goes on.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 05:57:12 pm »
Iosef Visarianovich Stalin, perhaps? The sound at the beginning of "Iosef" would be odd enough to a Klingon ear and hard for a Klingon to say, I think.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 08:36:52 am »
I like leaving the dictator unnamed.  A more recent one might be appropriate anyway.  Say Colonel Green or Khan.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 12:40:47 am »
Another great little piece, I especially like La'ra verbally toying with the Federation's supposed good image just in case they're listening in. :-)

I did play an F-CA against a K-D6K and kicked the crap out of it. I then played the D6K against the CA and captured it. In strictest SFB/C terms, it depends on the skill of the 'pilots', but IR(ST)L, the Hiv would demolish an unrefitted Constitution.

Looking forward to more.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 05:30:42 am »
I toyed around with the idea of La'ra saying 'The one named for a plant' as a cheap shot at our prez, but I try to keep politics outta this forum, soooo...

Hey imho it's: No Bush please. (And if someone takes affront on this political statement, just think "well he's just making a sexual statement". And you'd be right too ;))
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 10:38:13 am »
I did play an F-CA against a K-D6K and kicked the crap out of it. I then played the D6K against the CA and captured it. In strictest SFB/C terms, it depends on the skill of the 'pilots', but IR(ST)L, the Hiv would demolish an unrefitted Constitution.

It's more likely a CAR or one of the 'pre-TMP' refits.  And I'd say it still depended on the skill of the Captains and crews...unless the ships are totally, utterly mismatched, that's usually more important than the technical stuff.

The Prince of Wales for instance, should've walked all over the Bismarck on paper, but....
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Scene Four
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 10:40:24 am »
See, Grim, I can sort of update quickly!

-------------------

"Here, here, and here."  Lieutenant Leral indicated.  Her station's primary display showed a map of the Kelorian front lines.  "These two look like mass graves.  The third is some kind of prison camp."

"Hmmm."  La'ra growled.  "They have to keep their prisoners of war somewhere."

"Yes, Commander, but I don't think it's there.  There's vehicular activity around the camp, but nothing heads toward the front."

"Oh?"

The sensor chief nodded.  She wore her analytical look.  "There are what I'd assume to be supply shipments coming in from the Rebel's storehouses, but the patrols that leave the base seem to be searching the surrounding areas, especially the smaller towns."

"Could simply be security patrols."  Ran'jar added.  He was standing in front of Leral's station, not leaning over the sensor chief as was La'ra's usual habit.

"Or they could be gathering up counterrevolutionaries and shooting them or sending them to their little camp."  The Commander growled.

"I can monitor their patrols, Commander."  Leral claimed.

"Hmm."  La'ra growled.  Orbital photography didn't usually produce images with the strength and immediacy he wanted.  "Do so.  I suspect to get what we need, we'll have to go down there, though."

"The Constantinople is watching."  Ran'jar reminded.  "She'll know if we activate transporters."

"She won't know where we sent our landing party.  Or why." said Leral.  "It'd take time to search the entire front line with her cameras."

"It might take us time to get what we need from the Rebels."  replied Ran'jar.  "Orders or no, if Starfleet suspects we're directly interfering, they may attack."

"With the handy excuse that we provided the provocation."  muttered La'ra.  He considered the situation for a moment.  "Perhaps we should claim our landing team is a rescue party."

"I'm sure Starfleet will eagerly believe that."  Ran'jar chuckled.

"If we can get down there, catch one of the Rebel's collection patrols about to line civillians up against the nearest wall and take plenty of pictures, they might not have a choice.  The timing would have to be very precise."  La'ra scratched his chin.

"It shouldn't be a problem to keep watch on one of the patrols leaving the base."  Said Leral.  “If they do as we expect…”

“…we can react immediately.”  La’ra nodded.

“I’ll have Grimbek prepare a strike team.”  Ran’jar declared.  “Shall I tell him to try and save the potential victims?”

“Save them yourself.”  La’ra grinned slightly. ”You’re leading the assault.”

Ran’jar’s smile was positively villainous.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 01:16:04 pm »
You know La'ra I never doubted you... no really... really really...

the corners of my mouth just kept rising till it grew in to an evil grin when i read this:

Ran’jar’s smile was positively villainous.

gimme more :D
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:10 am »
A fun little bit, although they are horribly short. Keep writing, Larry!
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: Scene Four
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 02:57:05 pm »

"Hmm."  La'ra growled.  Orbital photography didn't usually produce images with the strength and immediacy he wanted.  "Do so.  I suspect to get what we need, we'll have to go down there, though."

Seems La'ra needs to buy some orbital equipment from the US civil authorities... I can watch live images of my house online for about 4 bucks US. And tell who's out on the front porch.

Great add on. Looks like the First gets to do some ass-kickin! Write on!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 09:09:26 pm »
Hell, La'ra cauld even get it from the French. That SPOT satellite of theirs is impressive.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 08:42:52 pm »
Well, it IS just a D6 after all... maybe it just doesn't have the equipment for precision orbital photography. A scout, on the other hand, could probably take pictures of each individual soldier in a Klingon marine company spitting and scratching himself from the edge of the system. ;)

Love the story, by the way, La'ra.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005, 12:16:14 pm »
The key part of that line is 'strength and immediacy'.  He could get plenty of visual evidence from orbit, but he wouldn't get visceral, stomach churning, ground level evidence of atrocities and other such bad things.

He needs more than pictures.  He needs...artwork.:)

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 12:31:46 pm »
And I need updates. Get cracking  ;D

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:52 am »
^
|
What he said!

Hey La'ra, thanks for the clarification on the orbital imagery. If the Klinks hadn't managed to do in the 23rd century what Google can do now, then your D6 really is just flying around on semi-invisible strings! *grin*

I like Ran'jar. I really do. I know you say he's an Imp, but he'll always be a Fusion to me. He's just so... TOS. Mustache-twirling, oily, conniving TOS Klink. He's great. ;D

And keep up the Feddie nose-tweaking. I like that too!
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2005, 09:15:47 pm »

I like Ran'jar. I really do. I know you say he's an Imp, but he'll always be a Fusion to me. He's just so... TOS. Mustache-twirling, oily, conniving TOS Klink. He's great. ;D

And keep up the Feddie nose-tweaking. I like that too!

I am no disease ridden flat-head!
Why do you insult me so?

--thu guv'!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 12:48:24 pm »
That got me to thinking, though, and I do have a drawing of my character if anyone is interested. I'll post it on the Goesa'vaina thread so as not to slow down the loading of La'ra's fine dig here...

--thu guv'!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 11:31:49 am »
This one was stalled for quite a while.

Now it isn't.:)

-------------------------

Armed Kelor stormed out of hover trucks and armored vehicles.  Other Kelor were herded into the street, organized into groups and forced to their knees.  Neither group could see the hunting party of Klingon Marines concealed nearby.

“No response from Constantinople.””  Leral reported.  The Commander gave her a nod, put his attention back on the viewscreen.  Starfleet would stay cool until they found armed Klingons on the planet.

A Rebel officer was selecting prisoners and soldiers were pulling them to their feet.  Those chosen were being forced toward the town square.  The Klingons slid through backalleys and yards.  The Marines would beat the Kelor to the town square.  They weren’t burdened by prisoners.

It wouldn’t be long now, La’ra realized.

“Why do they not fight back?”  Asked the gunner.  There was disbelief in Grimbek’s voice, perhaps a little scorn.

“Heartreaver took her people’s weapons away not long after her ascension.”  The helmsman reminded.  La’ra could never remember the man’s name.

Grimbek frowned.  “I thought the Kelor were warriors?”

“That’s why she took their weapons away.”  Argued the helmsman.

“They could still resist.”  Grimbek declared.

“Resisting when there are disruptors on your family can be difficult.”  La’ra grumbled.  “Even for our own people.  Mind your stations.”

The younger officers fell silent.  On the viewscreen, Ran’jar’s marines were occupying commanding positions about the town square.  Oblivious to the danger, the Kelor rebels continued their parade.

Constantinople has gone active, Commander.  She’s doing sweeps of the front lines.”  Leral informed.

La’ra growled.  It’d been a hoped-for possibility that the Marine’s beam-down would be taken as another meeting between Heartreaver and Klingon personnel.  An unlikely possibility and one the Commander had not relied on, but it would’ve been nice.

The Rebels reached the courtyard.  As expected, the prisoners were lined up neatly against a convenient wall, a squad of executioners taking position nearby, their weapons held stiffly and with some formality.  Other Kelor were also being bullied into the square, held away from the chosen victims.  Witnesses to the bloody example, no doubt.  The camera zoomed in on the square, showing more detail.

The Marines were still.  La’ra hoped Ran’jar wouldn’t wait too much longer to act.

Constantinople is widening her sweep.”  Leral announced.  “Still not searching the correct areas.”

Not yet, perhaps, but it was only a matter of time.  La’ra forced himself not to stand, or pace.

The Rebel officer seemed to be speaking to the crowd.  There was something in his hand.  A datapad or other such.  He rarely looked at it;  the speech was probably well rehearsed.  He turned, strutted toward the firing squad.  An order was given and weapons were brought to shoulders.

The Klingons struck.

The firing squad crumpled as a barrage of emerald bolts converged from rooftops and alleys.  Armored marines charged forward at the same moment, bat’leths and rifle butts taking down the Rebels controlling the crowd.  A clear moment of panic seized the prisoners, the witnessing crowd, and people began to flee.  Had the fight continued, there’d have been casualties, collateral damage.  The fight, if one could call it that, was quite over.

Noises of approval swept the bridge, and La’ra allowed himself a smile.

“She's shifted her scan again, sir.”  Reported Leral.  “She’s looking in the right place now…not much time till they detect the raiding party.”

“Understood.”  Starfleet had detected the weapon discharges.  Had disruptors been common on the planet, the weapons fire might not have tipped them off.  The Kelor still used projectile weapons, alas.

Grimbek was smiling, the Commander noted.  Ran’jar had commanded them, but the Marines were his men.  La’ra would congratulate him on training them so well, later.

On the viewer, Marines were gaining control of the crowd, taking weapons and other trophies from fallen foes.  Ran’jar men had been shooting to stun to give the Federation one less possible objection, and now unconscious Rebels were being disarmed and restrained.

Two Marines had hold of the Rebel officer, who’d been spared a disruptor bolt.  They delivered the man to Ran’jar, who stood in the middle of the square.  The Hiv’laposh’s First said something and the Marines released the Rebel and stepped away.  Words were exchanged.  Even from orbit, La’ra could read his friend’s body language;  His shoulders had been relaxed when the Rebel officer began to speak.  Now they were tense, and the Rebel officer clearly shouting.

La’ra leaned back in his chair.  The officer was waving his arms now, his face flushed.

There was a sudden flash of movement from Ran’jar, and the Rebel officer fell, hands clutching his stomach.  Laughter rippled across the bridge.  The Commander shook his head and chuckled;  he supposed one death among the Rebels could be advantageous.  Starfleet’s expectations of Klingon usually involved blood, and an utter lack of it might raise suspicion.  The officer’s legs thrashed wildly.

“Her sensors are focused on the area around the town.”  Leral warned.

“Good.”  Declared La’ra.  On screen, Ran’jar was waving his bloody d’ktagh and making some kind of statement to the crowd.  The Rebel officer, blood pooling on the square’s cobblestone, was now completely still.

“Open a channel to the Constantinople.”  La’ra ordered.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:00:45 am by Commander La'ra »

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 11:35:03 am »
I've already told you, I know, but I like it. It's refreshing to see the Feds supporting a side that doesn't exactly have the moral high ground, so to speak - although in this situation, it doesn't look like either side really does. ;)
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 01:53:54 am »
yes! a La'ra update! Gimme more!