Topic: Just thinking about a Network/Monitor setup...  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Just thinking about a Network/Monitor setup...
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:43:25 pm »
I'm just thinking about this This afternoon, But here is where I'm kinda going with It.

I have my wifes PC which I think I'm going to refurbish, and Put in my wireless network, that way she can get online and Play around also. anyway, here's the situation. I currently have a dual monitor set up for my PC, and I was wondering, instead of Disabling one Monitor for Her PC, Is there a switch box, that I can use that would Give me 1: Dual monitor support for my PC
2: Single monitors for each PC.
3: Dual monitor for Wifes PC.

It's been years since I've worked with switches, But If need be, I feel confident enough That I could build one If neccesary. However, IF any of you IT guys have experience with this, I would be very gratefull.

Stephen
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 01:51:31 pm by Stephen NCC -73070 »
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Just thinking about a Network/Monitor setup...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 07:45:15 pm »
How far away are you thinking about running that monitor cable?  There are switches available, try looking at someplace like Digilink or what ever is equivalent in your area.  If you are looking for ideas try asking one of the employees at Best Buy or some place like that about how they set up their monitor displays.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:54:49 am »
try searching for KVM (keyboard video mouse switch). i have dual monitor for my laptop, w/ my monitor being used between the 2 computers.  Sof i you wanted dual monitors for one pc, just make sure that you plug in one monitor to directly to one pc, then plug in the other monitor to the kvm (which will have 2 cables, one for each pc).  with a press of a button (scroll lock twice for me) i can go back and forth :).  on a side note this also allows you to use 1 mouse and 1 keyboard between these computers
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:58:23 am »
Sweet. Thanks for the info Tus.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:06:53 pm »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline mc_cloud

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 03:10:32 pm »
i have like 600 of these things at work...i have models that control like 5 computers, and models that control 2 comptuers... you press scroll x2 and up or down...

im sure one could "break" and I would have to throw it in the "dumpster"

you have a dumpster at your house, dont you?

hehehe :P

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 03:13:18 pm »
I use a 2-port KVM at home for my pc and my 'awaiting harddrive so i can make it server2003 to play with'.

Works well.  less clutter with keyboards/mice/monitors.

When the 4th computer online need is there, a 2nd KVM goes in

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 05:55:57 am »
i have like 600 of these things at work...i have models that control like 5 computers, and models that control 2 comptuers... you press scroll x2 and up or down...

im sure one could "break" and I would have to throw it in the "dumpster"

you have a dumpster at your house, dont you?

hehehe :P

LOL, You have my Address right?  You know to take care of your Trash overflow.  ;D

seriously, It's RR2 box 77e Wellston OK. 74881 , If and only If , you have an extra one laying around, I'd be more then Happy to take one. And of course my thanks.

Stephen Smith.

Offline mc_cloud

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 01:32:26 pm »
hm look, a broken one...

yes we have like 9827349273498 of them.

just to make it clear.

you want the switcher that has one input for mouse/keyboard/moniter
and it has cables going OUT to seperate desktops?

so you have like 9237498273 desktops (2) controlled with one set of input devices..

right?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:36:49 pm »
That's pretty much It MC. I figure I'll get around tonight to Getting the Wife's PC up and running. Then I'll Use whatever you have as far as the Monitor thing. Hell, Even using the same Keyboard and Mouse is a bonus I didn't think of.

Stephen

Offline mc_cloud

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 07:04:47 pm »
I wont be able to grab it till monday, caus ei forgot to take my badge with me :(

you want the shiny blue one with 4 ports.
or the dull black one with 2 ports.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 08:13:57 pm »
I wont be able to grab it till monday, caus ei forgot to take my badge with me :(

you want the shiny blue one with 4 ports.
or the dull black one with 2 ports.

Man Either or Mc Cloud,  I'm just once again empressed with the help peeps give here. You all Rock.

stephen