Topic: For all the armchair astronomers here - Celestia!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
For all the armchair astronomers here - Celestia!
« on: September 30, 2005, 09:16:41 am »
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

This is a must download for any other armchair astronomers here...  You can follow in the footsteps of all the probes and telescopes and visit just about any object in the solar system or beyond!  Ever wondered what the view looks like a million miles from the surface of Rigel, Proycon or Betalgeuse?  It's all here, and it's free software!!!

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: For all the armchair astronomers here - Celestia!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:37:48 pm »
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

This is a must download for any other armchair astronomers here...  You can follow in the footsteps of all the probes and telescopes and visit just about any object in the solar system or beyond!  Ever wondered what the view looks like a million miles from the surface of Rigel, Proycon or Betalgeuse?  It's all here, and it's free software!!!

Sweet Christ, this is too Cool. Thanks for sharing this Prom.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:36:03 pm »
The great thing is, it works on this old PC that I use exclusively for the internet, which is an old clanger with a pentium II and 96 meg in it...  It runs out of virtual memory every now and then, but not before you've explored a dozen star systems, and on my other machine with an athlon XP 2000 (clocking in at 1.7 Gigahertz) in it, it's totally sweet...

Incidentally Stephen, my musical concept recording that I promised to send you a CD of is (after a few unforseen delays) nearing completion now, so if you're still interested, I'll mail one off to you during the week...   I don't know what you'll think of it, it's kind of weird stuff, but I've had some positive reactions from the preliminary mixes of it, and I think you'll like one of the mixes with a load of Apollo samples from all the missions, that take you from the run up to Launch Commit to the return from the moon...

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:38:59 pm »
of course I'm interested in Your music.

BTW, I tried a few times to DL this program, but for some reason, It eeps coming out corrupted. If you would be so kind to Email It to me, I'd be very gratefull.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 07:50:21 pm »
of course I'm interested in Your music.

BTW, I tried a few times to DL this program, but for some reason, It eeps coming out corrupted. If you would be so kind to Email It to me, I'd be very gratefull.

stephen

Absolutely...  To the Gmail address?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 08:12:35 pm »
Yes sir, that would work Greatly.

stephen

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 09:10:19 pm »
Yes sir, that would work Greatly.

stephen

Roger That...  I'll get on to that now...