Topic: Shoreline Spotted on Saturn's Moon Titan  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
Shoreline Spotted on Saturn's Moon Titan
« on: September 18, 2005, 10:04:03 pm »
Shoreline Spotted on Saturn's Moon Titan

http://space.com/scienceastronomy/050917_titan_shore.html

By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 17 September 2005
02:02 pm ET

The idea of a large sea on Saturn's moon Titan was all but ruled out after the Cassini mission found no evidence early in its mission.

But a new image shows what scientists think is a shoreline with bays and channels feeding liquid into a possible sea.

Scientists have long speculated that Titan might contain liquid methane or other hydrocarbons. The chemistry resembles prebiotic Earth, but Titan lacks liquid water. Nonetheless, earlier this month another group of researchers speculated that Titan might actually harbor life today.

"This radar data is among the most telling evidence so far for a shoreline," said Steve Wall, radar deputy team leader from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

The image, released Friday, shows a distinct division between a bright and apparently rough region and and dark and smooth area.

"This is the area where liquid or a wet surface has most likely been present, now or in the recent past," Wall said. "Titan probably has episodic periods of rainfall or massive seepages of liquid from the ground."

"We also see a network of channels that run across the bright terrain, indicating that fluids, probably liquid hydrocarbons, have flowed across this region," said Dr. Ellen Stofan, Cassini associate radar team member from Proxemy Research in Laytonsville, Md.

Combined with other radar images taken on previous Cassini passes of Titan, scientists have identified two distinct types of drainage features. One type is long and deep, suggesting fluids flowing over long distances. Another is in a denser network that suggests rainfall.

"It looks as though fluid flowed in these channels, cutting deeply into the icy crust of Titan," said Larry Soderblom with the U.S. Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Ariz. "Some of the channels extend over 100 kilometers [60 miles]. Some of them may have been fed by springs, while others are more complicated networks that were likely filled by rainfall."

More imaging is planned on future passes by the icy moon.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Shoreline Spotted on Saturn's Moon Titan
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 09:17:29 am »
I've always thought, that If there ever was a Moon we should explore, It would be Titan.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:04:35 am »
Even if there is no life it's worth exploring... I've said it once, and I'll say it again...

Titan is God's own gas station- a huge hydrocarbon reservoir waiting out there, beckoning us to refill our tanks on the way out of the solar system.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:45:46 am »
Here's a couple of pictures taken by Hyugens...  The regolith looks pretty familiar, but it isn't quite as sharp and angular looking as what you'd find on the Moon or Mars...  It does look kind of like certain rocks that you'd see that have been weathered on Earth though...

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!