Topic: The digital home and office  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
The digital home and office
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:03:46 pm »
I have to do a presentation on this, and thought I would pop in here and ask some of the knowledgable folks around these parts for their help.
The presentation requirements are just what the subject says, so I'm very open to do this as I please, but I still want to make it good, so this is what I was thinking:
I'll start off with answering why we should care about this topic, go on to describe some of the variety of products out there, explain a bit of where this topic has been in the past, and finally where it seems to be going in the future, and roll to the conclusion and credits.
things I need:
I need to know goo reasons why the digital home and office is important/cool/interesting
I need to know of things out there for the digital home and office.  Things I already have considered are Palm pilots, music software like window media player, the windows media version, iTunes blackberries.  Any info on these things would be great, but I really need info on other stuff that is out there as well.  I.e. what can you do with your products?  what products are out there that I don't know of?
I remember seeing when I was a kid, when I was looking at the stuff that came with my dad's old Apple IIc, that there was software available all that time ago that allowed you to use your Apple IIc to control lights, sprinklers, and most of the electronic/electrical stuff  in your house.  Info on early digital home/office SW and HW would be great.
I need to know where the digital home/office is going and how it's being developed for the future.
Finally, and most importantly, I want to use as many features of powerpoint as I can for the presentation.  Any cool effects/tricks would be great to know about.

In short, tell me about all the stuff that makes you cream your pants when it comes to gizmos and gadgets, and all those things that used to make you cream your pants.   ;D
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: The digital home and office
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 06:53:46 am »
I don't think you can talk about an issue like that without covering DMCA and its many pitfalls.  This is a great opportunity to discuss how the RIAA/MPAA have used (abused) the DMCA for their own profit security.  Since this issue is getting so little coverage in mainstream media, IMHO you should not pass up this opportunity.  So I suggest doing a little research on that topic as well.

As far as products that you might not be familiar with try going here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

This site IMHO is probably one of the most under rated computer electronic site on the Internet.  With the industry planning on a wireless future, spend a little time at that site as well.

I have to go to now, I'll give this some thought later but this should get you started.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:38:26 am »
Added whitespace to enhance legibility.  Without the whitespace between paragraphs I find reading long posts difficult.

I have to do a presentation on this, and thought I would pop in here and ask some of the knowledgable folks around these parts for their help.

The presentation requirements are just what the subject says, so I'm very open to do this as I please, but I still want to make it good, so this is what I was thinking:

I'll start off with answering why we should care about this topic, go on to describe some of the variety of products out there, explain a bit of where this topic has been in the past, and finally where it seems to be going in the future, and roll to the conclusion and credits.

Things I need:

I need to know good reasons why the digital home and office is important / cool / interesting

I need to know of things out there for the digital home and office.  Things I already have considered are Palm pilots, music software like window media player, the windows media version, iTunes blackberries.  Any info on these things would be great, but I really need info on other stuff that is out there as well.  I.e. what can you do with your products?  what products are out there that I don't know of?
I remember seeing when I was a kid, when I was looking at the stuff that came with my dad's old Apple IIc, that there was software available all that time ago that allowed you to use your Apple IIc to control lights, sprinklers, and most of the electronic/electrical stuff  in your house.  Info on early digital home/office SW and HW would be great.

I need to know where the digital home/office is going and how it's being developed for the future.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to use as many features of powerpoint as I can for the presentation.  Any cool effects/tricks would be great to know about.

In short, tell me about all the stuff that makes you cream your pants when it comes to gizmos and gadgets, and all those things that used to make you cream your pants.

PDAs:  Myself I have an ancient Palm M105.  I use it for note taking when I am out.  The notes can be anything from a price on a DVD that a friend is looking for to a random thought on how to enhance a process at work.  Unlike a notepad I can transfer the note directly to the computer in its original form and edit it in a word processor or copy it to an E-Mail to send to the relavent person.  I also keep notes on useful information such as train schedules that I use on occassion.

Digital Cameras: Not on your list but I'll add it anyhow as it seems to fit.  Again I have an older unit a 2.1 megapixel unit.  I use it for snapshots.  The advantages of a digital camera are multiple. 

• 1/ I have 3x128mb cards each holds about 250 images.  I went to Fort York in Toronto last spring and during the hours there took more than 200 images.  Doing that with a film camera would be extremely expensive.  Casual photography is now truely cheap and practical.
  • 2/ I was able to immedieatly view those images and one in particular which was difficult to get due to glare I was able to repeatedly take and delete the glared out versions.  With a film camera I would not have managed to get that picture.
  • 3/ Sending copies of the images through E-Mail is very easy and again cheap
  • 4/ Images you don't like can be deleted at no expense beyond your time
  • 5/ Image editing on the computer allows you to do things that only a pro could do otherwise.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 05:31:58 pm »
I don't think you can talk about an issue like that without covering DMCA and its many pitfalls.  This is a great opportunity to discuss how the RIAA/MPAA have used (abused) the DMCA for their own profit security.  Since this issue is getting so little coverage in mainstream media, IMHO you should not pass up this opportunity.  So I suggest doing a little research on that topic as well.

As far as products that you might not be familiar with try going here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

This site IMHO is probably one of the most under rated computer electronic site on the Internet.  With the industry planning on a wireless future, spend a little time at that site as well.

I have to go to now, I'll give this some thought later but this should get you started.

I blame Kindergarden Teachers. For decades they told And Taught Kids to share, and when they do, The RIAA steps in and throws you in Prison.  ;)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 07:26:12 pm »
After having thought about this I think that you are asking in the wrong forum Clark.  The question is on ways technology is used not on the technology itself.  You are after experiences with technology not information on the technology.  That question might be more profitably asked of the larger audience in Hot and Spicy. 

The whole RIAA, MPAA , DMCA, copyright excesses, patent abuse and evil kindergarden teachers thing would likely get you more information here.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:56:42 pm »
After having thought about this I think that you are asking in the wrong forum Clark.  The question is on ways technology is used not on the technology itself.  You are after experiences with technology not information on the technology.  That question might be more profitably asked of the larger audience in Hot and Spicy. 

The whole RIAA, MPAA , DMCA, copyright excesses, patent abuse and evil kindergarden teachers thing would likely get you more information here.

True, but the most knowledgable people seem to come in here, and I am interested in what they use and how they use it, since they most likely understand it on a higher level than the averae user, and I need that level of understanding.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica