Topic: Gravity towline to divert asteroids away from Earth  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Gravity towline to divert asteroids away from Earth
« on: November 09, 2005, 07:52:23 pm »
Link to full article

The US spacemen Edward Lu and Stanley Love propose sending up a huge rocket to "tow" away any such objects.

Their vehicle would simply hover over the asteroid and use gravity as a "towline" to move it out of danger.

A 20-tonne craft could safely deflect an asteroid 200m across in about a year of such "towing", Lu and Love report in the journal Nature.

Alternately of course you might use the same system to move one to a convient Earth orbit if it were at a correct velocity and course for the adjustment already.  Orbital mining.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
Re: Gravity towline to divert asteroids away from Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:44:11 am »
I'd sooner keep it as far away from Earth as possible to be honest, but in any case, I reckon that it's gonna be a while yet before we can alter an asteroids Delta v enough to put it in a safe parking orbit...

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
Re: Gravity towline to divert asteroids away from Earth
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:46:30 pm »
I think that mass drivers are probably better suited for moving an asteroid into a convenient orbit. Simply attach them to the surface of the asteroid, and they scoop out chunks of mass from the surface and fling them into space in order to change delta-vee. The grav towline idea, however, is emminently suitable for moving dangerous objects away from potential collision courses.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.