Topic: Irony in the Comic book Movie Biz...  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Irony in the Comic book Movie Biz...
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:57:29 pm »
So I was reading a  film critic year-end review of the best and worst movies of 2005.

Under the heading "Should the 'Torture Act' contain a provision banning comic-book movies? Evidence says 'Yes'", he lists Aeon Flux, Fantastic Four, Elektra, Son of the Mask, and Sin City.

Then he lists his Top 10 best films of the year. Number One?

"A History of Violence."

Hardy har har. I have half a mind to mention to him, that It History of Violence was a Graphic Novel/Comic book. Once again, It proves to me, that a Critic is someone with no recognizable Talent in and of themselves.  ;)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Irony in the Comic book Movie Biz...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:57:46 pm »
I'm pretty sure the critic'll think, "Hey, as long as I'm getting paid good enough..." And I wouldn't blame him for that if being a Critic as a job would be easy and overpaid. *shrug*

I rarely go out to see comic book movies though.  Which ones should I see and which should I avoid?  I'd just like to know for sure which are good out there, aside from the Spiderman ones where people rave about that.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 02:40:55 pm »
I just try to use my best judgement based on the trailers.  In the end, I usually get dragged to see most by my brothers though (ugh!).  I think, though, that unless something is based on a somewhat known super hero, most folks are completely oblivious as to whether or not it's comic based.  I know a lot of people didn't know Road to Perdition was a comic, and there are a lot of others (I thought it was funny that Bulletproof Monk was, but in the commentary they admitted that they changed pretty much everything but the character's name (I think)).  In fairness to the critic, there are a lot of really bad super hero comic movies out there, he's just ignorant of the other stuff that's available in the comic world.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
A movie needs to be made from "Identity Crisis."   The perception as to what a "Comicbook" movies should be will change forever.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:56:41 pm »
A movie needs to be made from "Identity Crisis."   The perception as to what a "Comicbook" movies should be will change forever.

Oh Hell, Identy Crises, Infinte Crisis, etc... Man that's hard to keep up with.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War