Topic: Prions may hold key to stem cell function  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
Prions may hold key to stem cell function
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:18:26 pm »
Prions may hold key to stem cell function

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8652

22:00 30 January 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Stu Hutson

Related Articles
Prion disease found lurking in deer muscle
26 January 2006
Did prior infection save British from vCJD?
29 October 2005
BSE may have come from dead people
10 September 2005
Search New Scientist
Contact us
Web Links
BSE and vCJD special report, New Scientist
Whitehead Institute
Susan Lindquist, Whitehead Institute
The curative properties of stem cells may rely on prions, a new study suggests, the type of protein made infamous by mad cow disease.

Prions are a special class of protein that can change the shape and function of other proteins around them. While these are found throughout any mammal’s body, the understanding of their biological role is limited. What is known is that prions that become misshapen, through some unknown process, can result in BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) – mad cow disease – and its equivalents in other animals.

Researchers at the Whitehead Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, US, have now found that adult stem cells in bone marrow gradually lose their ability to regenerate without their normal complement of membrane-bound prions. Stem cells are primitive cells which have the potential to divide endlessly, and the ability to differentiate into any cell type in the body – offering hope for future therapies.

First answers
Andrew Steele, Cheng Cheng Zhang and colleagues used radiation to deplete the bone marrow of mice genetically engineered to not produce the prion proteins. The animals’ marrow regenerated quickly at first, but eventually slowed to a stop. The marrow also lost its regenerative abilities when transplanted into normal mice.

“For years we’ve wondered why evolution has preserved this protein, what positive role it could possibly be playing,” says Susan Lindquist, one of the team. “With these findings we have our first answer.”

The question of how prions sustain stem cell activity remains unanswered, but the finding is a first step to understanding the destructive streak of misshapen prion proteins, Steele says. Similar tests on neural and lung stem cells are underway.

Journal reference: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0510577103)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Prions may hold key to stem cell function
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:03:11 am »
There was a small bit of this the other night on a Science show about Canabilism. It seems some people who's ancestors practiced Canabilism, may have inherited this Prion. IT then went on to suggest a common ancestory with the People now in the UK, and a group of tribes in South America.

Very interesting stuff IMHO.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:55:55 am »
The idea is that prions are an integral part of many celllular functions and not just disease.until i read this article I was under the impressionthat they were just a novel type of disease pathenogen like a virus or bacterium. This article says normal prions are necessry for life.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:07:25 am »
That doesn't Surprise me at all. I mean after all It's just a specialized protien for lack of a better term. What surprised me on the show I watched, was how those with a lack of this particular one, could very easily get mad cow desease, which they showed It's effects on the brain, Both cow and Human. It literally turned to swiss cheese or like a sponge.

those with the prion, where effectivly immune. I think we'll be seeing alot more research into Prions over the next few years.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:14:12 am »
Yup.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:54:07 am »
Yup.

[inside joke] is that all you have to say out of your gaping alimentary exit ? [/inside joke]

Sorry but coffee flew out my nostrils when I read that this Morning Storm.  ;D

Stephen

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:06 am »
Nothing good will come of these uppity scientists prion into God's business.   :-X

Sorry... couldn't resist that..
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 10:40:07 am »
Nothing good will come of these uppity scientists prion into God's business.   :-X

Sorry... couldn't resist that..

Interesting though since we wouldn't need to be spending so much on research for so many cures if we weren't polluting ourselves to the point that so many new diseases have come forth over the last 60 years or so.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:59:15 am »
Yup.

[inside joke] is that all you have to say out of your gaping alimentary exit ? [/inside joke]

Sorry but coffee flew out my nostrils when I read that this Morning Storm.  ;D

Stephen

it was a mercy killing.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:25:13 am »
You really should add Troll slayer somewhere in your Call sign.

Stephen

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 11:34:44 am »
I could go back to my old sig: "The Darth Lord of handing trolls their asses in a sack"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 05:23:26 pm »
I like this one better

Stem cell transplants offer hope against lupus

Scientists claim that they have achieved landmark success with an experimental approach, using a patient’s own stem cells, to fight the life-threatening autoimmune disease lupus.

Once returned to the body, the stem cells repopulated the bone marrow and reform a functioning immune system. According to Burt, the transplanted stem cells can avoid developing into cells with dangerous autoimmune traits because their genes do not necessarily predetermine the disease.

As my mother has lupus news of any form of treatment or cure is of interest.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 06:13:07 pm »
I also saw one about parkinson's diease work with marrow derived stem cells.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 08:36:06 pm »
So, when can we start harvesting their organs?

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 08:44:42 pm »
We don't need to harvest them (unless you want to.) there has been a further breakthrough in the technology to actually print out organs.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 04:59:12 am »
I like this one better

Stem cell transplants offer hope against lupus

Scientists claim that they have achieved landmark success with an experimental approach, using a patient’s own stem cells, to fight the life-threatening autoimmune disease lupus.

Once returned to the body, the stem cells repopulated the bone marrow and reform a functioning immune system. According to Burt, the transplanted stem cells can avoid developing into cells with dangerous autoimmune traits because their genes do not necessarily predetermine the disease.

As my mother has lupus news of any form of treatment or cure is of interest.

Check out low dose naltrexone then

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel