Poll

How Do You Prefer Optional Case Fans to Be Installed?

Air Blown Into the Case
0 (0%)
Air Drawn Out of the Case
4 (50%)
It Depends
4 (50%)
It Doesn Matter
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Topic: Case Fans  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Case Fans
« on: February 04, 2006, 11:20:33 am »
As a result of my little "fire", I replaced my CPU, MB, and Case (and added an after-market 530W Power Supply).  I also bought an upgraded (i.e. BIG) case fan for the rear of the mini-tower, since I switched from Intel to AMD 64, and AMD's are notorious for heat issues. The new fan is very near the CPU Fan.

As I was installing it, it struck me (because the instructions do not suggest a method):  How do you prefer to install optional case fans, so that the air is blown into the case, or drawn out of the case?  I installed it so that the air is blown into the case, across the CPU and RAM, but I wonder if that will accelerate dust particle buildup.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: Case Fans
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:32:12 am »
i have both, 2 sucking air in from the front and 2 blowing it out through the back.    the goal is not to pull air or push air out of the case, but to provide constant movement of air with in the case so that you get the best possible heat transfer.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:48:09 am »
I install chassis fans to draw air out of the case, as the power supply does. so as to provide a consistent airflow from the front to the rear of the case. Also, the intake vents at the front and sides of most cases are designed to trap dust and particulate. HP has had some interesting airflow designs in the past... I recall an airflow setup in a Kayak workstation that was quite innovative.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 12:12:17 pm »
I have seven fans not counting CPU, Powersupply, and video card.

Four of them are for Intake, Positioned the closest to the Motherboard, while the other three, are to Spin the air away.

That's a good question Andy, and It might help others down the road.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 12:23:21 pm »
I have seven fans not counting CPU, Powersupply, and video card.

Four of them are for Intake, Positioned the closest to the Motherboard, while the other three, are to Spin the air away.

Holy crap! :o Is that a PC or an HVAC system? Can you heat your house with it?  ;D

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 02:07:14 pm »
Bonk and Tus are right on the money, constent air flow is the key.  I usually recommend fans at both front and back or top if it has a top vent with a fan mount.

Seven fans Stephen??!?  I thought I was overboard with having four.  Can you hear yourself think, while you are at the computer??!?   ;D

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 02:46:13 pm »
Huh, you say something... I can't hear over the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Seriously, Cooling has been one of my most important Thingies when I buil my Machine last year. Yes I'm hard of hearing, But I can always lean my head against the PC if I have a fever.

Ahh... Nice pc, so cool , so loving... So sexy...erm... this will be better discussed in Hopt and spicy.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 02:56:35 pm »
Geeze.. slap wings on that thing and you could rent it out on weekends as an ultralight.  :o
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Midnight Tech

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Tech Support Forum..."We are offering free computer support for everyone"
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 04:41:19 pm »
Running right now with 1 in and 2 out(at 91 degrees F)...the in is mounted low to get cool air near floor and the outs are mounted high in the rear to pull the rising hot air outta there.
If it overheats now, I'm gonna just rig some dryer duct pulling in outside air in the winter and hook it to home A/C in the summer.
For computer problems, check out Tech Support Forum!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 04:57:44 pm »
Geeze.. slap wings on that thing and you could rent it out on weekends as an ultralight.  :o

<homer Simpson> Uhm Ultralite</End Homer Simpson.>

Didn't you see my system Andy when you where down here?

Stephen

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:46 pm »
my iBook has one fan.  One small weak fan.  It doesn't turn on until 65C.  I was obviously distresed by this and sent Apple a message, to which they replied, "We designed it to endure such temperatures.  65C is normal."

Do any of you realize how little of a temperature difference there is between the CPU temp and the bottom of the case on an iBook?!?  OWWWW!!!!!
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Midnight Tech

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Tech Support Forum..."We are offering free computer support for everyone"
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 04:46:05 pm »
my iBook has one fan.  One small weak fan.  It doesn't turn on until 65C.  I was obviously distresed by this and sent Apple a message, to which they replied, "We designed it to endure such temperatures.  65C is normal."

Do any of you realize how little of a temperature difference there is between the CPU temp and the bottom of the case on an iBook?!?  OWWWW!!!!!
Obviously they don't intend on the user to actually place an iBook on their lap...not unless  they're using some sort of insulating pad.
It's a shame Speedfan won't work on Macs - this sounds like a perfect use for it.
For computer problems, check out Tech Support Forum!

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 05:54:20 pm »
I have in the back of my case two fans blowing air out.

then one fan in the front sucking in the air. And I do have the option of adding a fourth fan to cool

my HDD.

I may add this, that w/ two of my computers on I can heat my whole room up in no time. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!