Topic: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:27:23 am »
All I can say is...Wow.

This Expansion rocks.  The addition of Espionage and Random Events makes this game completely different each time.

Espionage is there to slow down tech progress, as one of the main problems with Civ IV was people were getting through the tech tree far too fast.  If you went with an early war, you used to be building swordsmen, axemen, and archers, only that when you had enough to win, the enemy had progressed to longbowmen and macemen.  Now with Espionage taking up a portion of your commerce, Tech progresses a bit slower, making it possible to have a large early war.  Spies are unlimited, finally, but they cost upkeep like a unit does and can't protect you against a military.  Spies have been greatly expanded allowing you to not only destroy infrastructure and production, but also to steal gold, technology, destroy existing buildings, poison water supplies, or ferment rebellions.  Looking at a hard battle against a Castle and don't have enough siege?  Consider sending in a spy to destroy the Castle first.

Random Events are there to not only throw the proverbial monkey wrench into your plans, like a tornado destroying infrastructure, floods washing out roads, mining accidents, botched marriages, etc.  It is also there to provide help, if you have the money.  Wealthy people die and leave their money to the state, or their valuable writings which can give you either an instant boost in research, or if you have the money, you can expand the library to give you a long term boost in research.  The long term boost is always better.  Sporting events like the 'Running of the Bulls' can give happiness boosts, or even improve your relationship with neighboring Civs if you have the money to offer them a spot in the games.

Other interesting changes: Forts, they are now useful.  There is a stacking limit for Aircraft.  4 per city, 8 if you have an airport.  Use Forts to base aircraft out of.  Forts can also be used as Ports for ships.  Build two right next to each other, and you have a Canal.  If you don't need the production bonus of putting a mine on a resource, Forts can be used to harvest the resource.  Forts can be built in your, friendly or Nuetral Territory, and you get the defense bonus in either.  But if it becomes enemy territory, you lose the defense bonus.

Down side:  They didn't want to pay Leonard to do voice overs for the new technologies added, so Sid did it instead, and Sid just doesn't sound right when compared to Leonard.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:05:20 pm »
is there new civilization in the expansion?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:39:25 am »
Byzantines (Justinian I), Holy Roman Empire (Charlemagne), Khmer (Suryavarman II), Mayans (Pacal II), "Native Americans" (Sitting Bull), Sumeria (Gilgamesh), Babylon (Hammurabi), Dutch (Willem van Oranje), Ethiopia (Zara Yaqob), Portugal (Joao II)

Also adds the following leaders for existing Civs.

Abraham Lincoln (America)
Boudica (Celts)
Charles de Gaulle (France)
Darius I (Persia)
Pericles (Greece)
Suleiman the Magnificent (Ottomans)

Leaders for all the Civs:
America (Three)
Arab (One)
Aztec (One)
Carthage (One)
Celts (Two)
China (Two)
Egypt (Two)
English (Three)
France (Three)
German (Two)
Greece (Two)
Inca (One)
India (Two)
Japan (One)
Korea (One)
Mali (One)
Mongolia (Two)
Ottoman (Two)
Persia (Two)
Rome (Two)
Russia (Three)
Spanish (One)
Viking (One)
Zulu (One)

"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:02:07 pm »
do you have problem with the game?

like it crash to desktop and no error message?

also tell me what you got, cpu, megs ect.

i got problem with the game and i don't know why, no help from the tech support yet.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:19:20 pm »
No Error Messages, no CTDs.  I've CTD twice since I installed it and both times I was running a Mod.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP 2

2.41 GHz Processor
2 GB of RAM
Video Card (This is probably the most important one to check on) NVidia GeForce 6150

Yes I'm running a Motherboard Video Card, but it works better than any Video Card I have at the moment and see no real need to go out and buy a new one.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:01 pm »
well my cpu is 1.81 gig

1 gig of ram

win xp home edition

my video card is a nvidia genforce 6600 256 meg.

all the driver are up to date, i don't know why i got that problem.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »
Honestly, for running an XP system, your a bit low on RAM.

It took me a long time to upgrade to XP, and that only happened because I built a new computer and couldn't find a legal copy of Win 2k.  I don't care what games come out for DX10 only, it will be a LONG time before I upgrade to Vista.

Offline Skawpya

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 03:18:24 am »
enjoyed the scenarios myself, rhys and fall of civilizations makes for an interesting history lesson, though I'm still stumped on how to achieve historic victory as the babylonians.

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 08:52:05 am »
Man I still have to get this one.