Topic: Question for the 2 monitor running crowd....  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
Question for the 2 monitor running crowd....
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:11:12 am »
Ok... got an ATI 9800XT with 256 MB of RAM.

A few months back, I put a second monitor on it and 'extended' the desktop to the other screen.

It worked great.

Of recent, it has been crashing out on me... freezing up....  and generally running slow...

Question is... should I be running two monitors on one card?  Should I move to 2 cards?  Is it possible to do with 2 different types of cards or will that cause a conflict?
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
Re: Question for the 2 monitor running crowd....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:00:52 pm »
Where exactly would you put a second card? 9800 series doesn't support the ATi crossfire thing.

Running two monitors on one card is perfectly fine, shouldn't cause any problems. I would suggest killing unneccessary background processes.

Also, do a spyware check and make sure thats not killing it.

Are you running anti-virus software? That's takes a lot of resources sometimes.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:03:07 pm »
Been monitoring it using the ATI catylist program.... seems it is over heating.... guess that new fan I have been putting off on getting needs to be 'got'....

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:08:51 pm »
If it just recently begun overheating and you have not otherwise changed the system it sounds like a good time to get out the compressed air and clean all the heat sinks, fans and vents.  Which of course you probably have done but just didn't mention. 

I've never played around with it much.  The one time I did (for a few hours) there was a problem as the two monitors had different resolutions.  Darn 17" monitor couldn't match the resolution of the 22" and I was not going down to 1024x768 on the 22".
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:50:03 pm »
Um..... yeah.... right, I sure did.....

*scuttles off to get air and shop vac ready*

:-[ (boy, this really doesn't look like an 'embarrassed' smiley does it?)

Also gonna move my NIC card down a slot to give the vid card a bit more breathing room....

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:16:07 pm »
You can't run two cards at once, unless you have PCI express and are using a dual SLI setup.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:05:15 pm »
You can't run two cards at once, unless you have PCI express and are using a dual SLI setup.

Or a AGP and PCI card combo like I used that brief time.  I am not sure if PCIX and PCI can be used at the same time.

Um..... yeah.... right, I sure did.....

*scuttles off to get air and shop vac ready*

:-[ (boy, this really doesn't look like an 'embarrassed' smiley does it?)

:mischief:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."