Topic: Report: Trek XI script axed, franchise again in limbo  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Report: Trek XI script axed, franchise again in limbo
« on: February 26, 2006, 11:20:24 am »
From Trek Web

Had a feeling that this would happen.  The franchise now is in the same state that it was back in the 70s when efforts to resurrect it were constantly stopped and started before culminating in Star Trek Phase II, which of course morphed into Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  However, there's one thing about this report that makes me only a tiny bit skeptical: this is alleged to come from Rick Berman's personal assistant, and yet this guy is publicly and openly throwing his boss under the bus.  Is he trying to get fired?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Report: Trek XI script axed, franchise again in limbo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:20 am »
I could be wrong, But It kinda reads to me, that Mirabello is covering bermans ass... I got that from this...

He also says that to his knowledge there are no plans for using Patrick Stewart in any forthcoming TNG movie projects. "It’s more likely that some executive had a casual conversation with him and brought up some hypotheticals which he ran with when some reporter asked him about Star Trek…. [But] there’s a chance that someone else at Paramount is planning something huge and keeping us out of the loop. From what I’ve heard, Patrick wouldn’t do another Trek movie unless they paid him Professor X money…"

Like I said I could be wrong though.

I agree though, It seems alot like the 70's Phase two and the Motion Picture right now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:08:50 pm »
...However, I think this is actually for the best – the public needs to want to see Star Trek again. The best way to achieve this is to take it away for a few years and then bring it back and do it right. The franchise needs a totally new creative team, some time off, and a cool new approach."
As much as it pains me to think about having to wait several years for the next Trek series or movie, I totally agree with this statement.  Right now not very many people outside the Trekkie realms of Geekdom really care about Star Trek anymore.

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:38:43 pm »
Who else ever did?
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 09:53:00 pm »
Who else ever did?
It seemed like during the mid nineties many non-Trekkie/non-geeky people had at least a passing interest in Star Trek.  At least everyone knew what Star Trek was.  Most people could recognize Kirk, Spock, Picard, Worf, Data, and Geordi as Star Trek Characters (even if they didn't know their names) and knew what that the Enterprise was the ship that they lived on.  There were plenty of cultural references to both TOS and TNG, parodies, and merchandising.  You don't see nearly as much of this anymore, and the common person who can recognize a picture of Captain Picard will probably give you a puzzled look if you show him or her a picture of Captain Archer and ask him to name that character.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:02:41 pm »
Or they'd tell you...thats the guy who played in Quantum Leap!
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:25:07 am »
...However, I think this is actually for the best – the public needs to want to see Star Trek again. The best way to achieve this is to take it away for a few years and then bring it back and do it right. The franchise needs a totally new creative team, some time off, and a cool new approach."
As much as it pains me to think about having to wait several years for the next Trek series or movie, I totally agree with this statement.  Right now not very many people outside the Trekkie realms of Geekdom really care about Star Trek anymore.

A pity.  If Erik Jenderssen is the guy I'm thinking of, someone posted an interview with him here some time ago.  I was impressed with his script philosophy.

"Getting it right" will be a lot easier with a whole new creative team.

If they "get it right" and use a "cool new approach"  (which could well be the original approach, but I digress) then I think the whole time off thing is irrelevant.  The next project will sink or swim based on its merits, regardless of how much time has passed.

<shudder>  Hey!  What is Berman doing talking about Trek anyway?  (Even if it is through is "personal assisstant"  Isn't he supposed to be *done* with Trek?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------