Topic: Desty Nova's "Ships of the Starfleet Universe"  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Desty Nova's "Ships of the Starfleet Universe"
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:37:56 am »
When nightsoft changed their address the sight, which was linked to the old addy, went dead. All of the links needed to be updated. Because of the general reliability of the server used for this I never had the urge to go through and relink everything. This doesn't diminish the generousity of Raven Night for providing server space.
Times have changed though and reliable free file hosting, albeit with advertising, is now available. I set up an acct. for the files, uploaded them, and have started relinking the pages on Desty's site. I was the one who originally set it up and I have the original site on disc. I know people have uploaded his models piecemeal to Battleclinic and elsewhere, but this will be all of his models at their original home.
I believe that it's an excellent resource for the community and Desty put a lot of work into making over 190 game models in the short time he was around. I know not everyone likes SFB designs. This is for those who do.
I've finished the main page, Feds, Klingons, Roms, Andromedans, and LDR pages and they are working. I'll continue with the rest and post as more race's pages come back up.

HERE-> Desty Nova's "Ships of the Starfleet Universe"

If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: Desty Nova's "Ships of the Starfleet Universe"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:25:11 am »
GJ Rod! I am an absolute fan of his stuff. Some of his SFB texture designs I dont like, but I've since retextured them myself. But over half his stuff I use unaltered. I've already DLed ALL his stuff a while back. Love it. Nice job relinking it all, thanks. I'm sure a lot of peeps will grab some of this, especially the seltorians who arnt modeled much.

Hey, u sure the seltorians are linked properly?

intermech

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:32:44 am »
Thanks for the link!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:34:08 am »
i download a few fed and klingon myself, i will check for the romulan and also download them

thanks man for fixing it, i needed these ship :)

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 04:49:37 am »
Mr. O'Neal, you are a fine human being for doing this. I do have one complaint, though. The link for the Fed SCS points to the download for the Fed CVS. Otherwise, thank you again.

Oh and thanks again for the Gorns you did a couple/few months back. Awesome ships.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:07:44 am »
No Dizzy, the Selts aren't done yet.  (Feds, Klinks, Roms, Andro, LDR) I'll put them on the top to do though. They are rare models and really well done.
As a matter of fact, look here ( http://www.starfleetgames.com ) at the cover shot of Federation Commander (The Top left book) "Tholian Attack". Those are Desty's Tholians and Seltorians. I know he's done a few covers for SFB. That's obviously one of them.

Red_Sharif, thanks for pointing that out. I'll get that fixed ASAP. (edit: fixed)

..and you're all welcome. I'm a fan of his work too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:21:58 am by Rod ONeal »

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 06:59:42 am »
the old light cruiser texas class is too big, if you compare it to the original one at fleetdock13 and if you compare it to the heavy cruiser of Desty Nova, it is too big.

but still great ships  :D

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:45 am »
Seltorians are done, along with the Tholians and Orions.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:52:00 am »
the old light cruiser texas class is too big, if you compare it to the original one at fleetdock13 and if you compare it to the heavy cruiser of Desty Nova, it is too big.

Doesnt matter what size the model is because the model.size file resizes all models in the game. So just tweak that.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:02:41 am »

Doesnt matter what size the model is because the model.size file resizes all models in the game. So just tweak that.
where is that file and how do i do that?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:00:21 am »
Let's assume your game is stock. If you have Opplus 4.0 installed then the following will also apply to the opplus folder if you add a model there.

Ok, two ways to go here. The easiest is replacement of a model. Let's say you want to replace the stock FCA. Take you new model and rename the .mod to FCA or whatever is in that FCA folder. Basically you have replaced the old with the new. And since it is a replacement, the model.siz file already has the FCA entry. So it will auto resize as a proper sized FCA. At least that is the size your new model will be.

Second way is to add a new shiplist entry using a unique name, say F-CDRG. We all know there isnt an F-CDRG in the shiplist. And therefore no model.siz entry. So the size this model will end up being is the default at which it was sized by the modeler. So in order to resize it you need to open the model.siz file in this root directory: C:\Program Files\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates\Assets\Models and add the new entry in the format of the other ships like this:

ASSETS\MODELS\FCA\FCA.MOD   8.47
ASSETS\MODELS\FCA\FCA_BRK.MOD   8.44

The number needs to be delimited, or tabbed, or you can copy and paste and redo the folder and model names and then reassign the model size number. Look at how the number sizes are done from FF to SB and you will get an idea where to start. Load you game and see if that size suits you if not, readjust it.

Diz

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 09:48:20 am »
thanks i will try that  ;)

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 09:42:04 pm »
This is a great service to the SFC community. 

Thank-you

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 10:13:18 pm »
i got another version of the fed dreadnough made by Desty Nova that is also good, don't know if you have it?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:23:45 pm »
scartch that, i taught a model from Anduril was of Desty Nova  ;D

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 01:17:34 am »
Desty's OCL is about 85% the length of his CA. It should be about 3/4 the overall mass, if you go by movement cost. I haven't sat down to figure it all out mathematically, but seat of the pants, that seems about right size wise.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 01:35:12 am »
Thanks,

I can not tell you how many sites and ships were lost over the years. Anything that comes back from oblivion is a blessing. They might show up peicemeal at BC but not everything makes it.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 05:20:54 am »
beside the old eras of war that i was able to download a long time, i put it at the battleclinic so that anyone who want them can go get them, i also download the DN of LS so now i have all his mods, if his website close the mods will be safe.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:26 am »
Lyrans and Hydrans are online again.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 03:48:15 am »
Finished up everything. Linked the Gorn, Kzinti, ISC, and WYN tonight. Everything should be working now. Let me know if you find any dead links or something that's not working correctly.