Topic: Microsoft vs Open Office - the battle is over.  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Microsoft vs Open Office - the battle is over.
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:43:51 am »
Link to Open Office.Org

Microsoft Buys OpenOffice.org!

For an undisclosed sum reputed to be in the billions, Microsoft's Bill Gates has personally bought the leading open-source desktop project. Saying he "was sick and tired of open-source eating away at his profits," the world's richest man decided to put an end to the nuisance and simply buy OpenOffice.org. It will form part of a growing list of Microsoft acquisitions, including several erstwhile competitors, a considerable number of prominent politicians, and a few small governments.

The initially stunned OpenOffice.org community--a happy-go-lucky international band numbering in the hundreds of thousands--later turned to champagne to celebrate their newfound wealth. "Bless Bill!" one happy Torontonian exclaimed, bubbly in hand. "With all this money, I can beat Mark's time in orbit!"

Gates has assured all current OpenOffice.org users that their future migration path to Microsoft Office is guaranteed thanks to OpenOffice.org's faultless support of MS Office files formats. Users can further rest assured that the full functionality currently provided by OpenOffice.org 2.0 will be available in MS-Office 2020 - or possibly 2030.

* Full Press Release

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Microsoft vs Open Office - the battle is over.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 12:48:03 pm »
Lol, they had me wondering for a minute there though...  :D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 01:43:06 pm »
Lol, they had me wondering for a minute there though...  :D

In related news Videolan make a similar announcement.

VideoLAN sells VLC to Microsoft  (2006-04-011 April 2006)  After 10 years of open source development, the VideoLAN developers have decided to throw in the towel.

With mixed emotions the VideoLAN team announces the acquisition of the VideoLAN source code by Microsoft for an undisclosed amount.

A Microsoft spokesperson said they would use the code to enhance the Windows Media player but could not confirm if the improvements would already be part of the upcoming Windows Vista release in early 2007.
Although this might come as a shock to the open source community the VideoLAN team decided this was the best approach due to recent hardened European legislation.

The VLC team has however made an agreement with Microsoft that the binary packages up to 0.8.4a could remain publicly available.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 01:58:43 pm »
"It will form part of a growing list of Microsoft acquisitions, including several erstwhile competitors, a considerable number of prominent politicians, and a few small governments."

ROFL, I am going to send the cleaning bill for my monitor to you. ;)
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 02:08:24 pm »
ROFL, I am going to send the cleaning bill for my monitor to you. ;)

I just reported this "news"  I didn't create it.  So bill Gates instead for making it plausible.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 06:26:17 pm »
All your source code are belong to us.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:51:53 pm »
Somebody set us up the EULA!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 11:55:27 pm »
Somebody set us up the EULA!

According to some proprietary vendors Punisher has properly summarized the GPL.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:59:49 pm »
Why do people always describe things in dangerious sounding war metaphors?!

The next time I see something described as a battle I better see smoking craters and decapitated bodies strewn about the bloody battlefield -- not the latest geek slap fight in court.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 07:08:05 pm »
Why do people always describe things in dangerious sounding war metaphors?!

Because we like to tease you and get your hopes up.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 09:02:04 pm »
I don't know of any smoking craters per-se, but here's a map of the battlefield.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 05:14:58 pm »
Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts.

Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

How many fronts does Microsoft have?

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 05:38:27 pm »
How many fronts does Microsoft have?
More than it has friends, but less than it has holes in its OS!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 05:40:43 pm »
More than it has friends

It has friends?  I thought that it had eaten them.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 07:20:59 pm »
More than it has friends

It has friends?  I thought that it had eaten them.

No, apples give them gas.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 08:36:04 pm »
No, apples give them gas.

Apple is no friend of Microsofts. 

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:01:36 pm »
nor are they really an enemy or else there wouldn't be Mac versions of anything made by Microsoft.

of course, saying that while knowing the latest version of Microsoft anything for Mac is from 2004 gives you the first clue to their relationship...
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:20:50 pm »
nor are they really an enemy or else there wouldn't be Mac versions of anything made by Microsoft.

of course, saying that while knowing the latest version of Microsoft anything for Mac is from 2004 gives you the first clue to their relationship...
That really doesn't mean anything since the latest version of Windows is from 2001 and the latest version of MS Office is from 2003.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 12:06:13 am »

But Microsoft needs Apple to keep any defense at all against the claim of being an abusive monopoly.  They need at least one survivor that nominally at least is a competitor.   So they make sure that Mac OS/X have a Microsoft Office version.  It may not be current it may not be fully compatible but it is close enough to let Apple "compete" (live).